Wish UI enhancement

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
When directly editing a knob value number via keyboard, currently, to get to editing the next knob setting directly via keyboard, you have to hit enter, tab, then enter again to get to the next knob's direct-editing cursor.

Could just tab take you straight from the current knob's direct-editing cursor to the next knob's direct-editing cursor?

It would be a great workflow improvement....

I don't often edit using the keyboard, but when I do, I too sometimes wish it worked like that.
There may be a reason why it was done like it is now. @Michael Pickens would know best.

+1 I like this idea, I edit a lot via keyboard.

I'm not sure if I would want it to go straight to the next field after pressing enter. Maybe enter, then tab could initiate direct editing of the next field.

@laxu has entered the chat
This is one of those things where there's no defined right way. Does tab just move the cursor or should it also activate the keyboard input field?

The current way of Tab -> Enter is probably correct. Otherwise you need code to determine if the user wants to type in a value or not. Which probably plays havoc with for example focusing the IR number field as that supports both typing into it but also pressing up/down to inc/dec the IR slot selected and these two functions don't work at the same time if I remember correctly.

I get it's definitely a minor inconvenience.

This is one of those things where there's no defined right way. Does tab just move the cursor or should it also activate the keyboard input field?

The current way of Tab -> Enter is probably correct. Otherwise you need code to determine if the user wants to type in a value or not. Which probably plays havoc with for example focusing the IR number field as that supports both typing into it but also pressing up/down to inc/dec the IR slot selected and these two functions don't work at the same time if I remember correctly.

I get it's definitely a minor inconvenience.
Maybe a more ideal way would be to not enter direct editing after pressing tab, but allow direct editing of the "tab selected" field once any number is entered. If I wanted to change the low cut of a cab then the high cut, I could tab to the low cut, and type 80, then press enter, tab, and type 8000 for example. Direct editing would be initiated by the "8" being pressed in both cases.

Maybe a more ideal way would be to not enter direct editing after pressing tab, but allow direct editing of the "tab selected" field once any number is entered. If I wanted to change the low cut of a cab then the high cut, I could tab to the low cut, and type 80, then press enter, tab, and type 8000 for example. Direct editing would be initiated by the "8" being pressed in both cases.
That would be a good way to do it if those number keys don't otherwise do something already. It would be more intuitive for the user to highlight the control and start typing numbers and not have to remember to hit enter except to apply the value. I think this would be the best way to solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom