• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish - Top Boost EQ section that works like the real thing

AdmiralB

Experienced
The Top Boost tone stack has what I always assumed was a flaw, in the sense that when the bass control is set over about 9.5, the midrange 'notch' goes through the floor - drops by over 12dB (you can get a pictorial of what happens by downloading Duncan's Tone Stack Calculator). It's a unique tone, but the Axe doesn't work this way.

I'd love for the TB models to behave like the real thing (without having to add a parametric after the fact).

Philip34

Experienced
I came across the same thing before. I thought that I was missing out on "the real thing."

In reality, the sound we hear from Ac-30-equipped guitarists is tons of post-production eq that gets you back most of the mids that were cut and dials back the boosted bass.

I prefer the model the way it is now, because I don't have to waste time eq'ing.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
If you want this, simply set the Mid to zero. I intentionally limited the midrange notch since, IMO, it's a design flaw in that tone stack. But you can recover that behavior by setting the Mid control fully CCW.

AdmiralB

Experienced
I prefer the model the way it is now, because I don't have to waste time eq'ing.
But now you're not modeling the amp, you're modeling the production process. If I want the amp in the room to sound like a real AC30, I can't do it (easily, anyway).

I might be in a minority, but I use this as an alternative to the amps - not as an alternative to a studio chain.

chris

Legend!
Wasn't the axe designed as an alternative to the studio chain?

You can use it however you want, but if a toothbrush was designed for teeth, I'm not going to be bothered that it takes so long to clean floors with it.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Furthermore, modern AC30's don't have this flaw. They use a Fender-style tone stack with a fixed mid resistor.

Top Bottom