Wish Wish: Switch per Scene

aalrh

Inspired
All my sounds that I need for a performance are organised in a preset. I select these via the scenes. I then use the layout of the effect selection.
Now I would like to be able to switch different effects depending on the scene. Therefore, I would like to have "switches per scene" in the future.

Of course, I would also like that for the FM3. ;)

So, you're saying that for each individual scene, you would like a separate layout of effects that correspond to that scene alone? For example, if you have a clean scene where you also would like to add ambient effects, your effects button would take you to a layout with say, chorus, delay, plex and reverb. But when you are on your rhythm scene, you would like that effects button to pull up Comp, Drive, Boost, Phaser or something similar?

So, you're saying that for each individual scene, you would like a separate layout of effects that correspond to that scene alone? For example, if you have a clean scene where you also would like to add ambient effects, your effects button would take you to a layout with say, chorus, delay, plex and reverb. But when you are on your rhythm scene, you would like that effects button to pull up Comp, Drive, Boost, Phaser or something similar?
Right. The best thing is "Scene only in preset". That is, not across presets.
I would not need the chorus in the high-gain scene. I also don't need a drive in the clean scene.
I could switch certain effects only in certain scenes. Or other switching configurations such as "Scene-twoggle" etc.

Can you use layout links to accomplish this in part - for example, have one layout for clean scenes, one layout for high-gain scenes, etc, and then when you are in a preset and select a scene it also changes to the layout you have optimized for that type of scene? There aren't enough layouts for an infinite numbers of scenes, but would 3 or 4 suffice?

+1 on Layout Links as a current way to accomplish the gist of the request. The 'limitation' is the current number of layouts available (9 including the MLM layout) and 8 scenes per preset.

Having a layout per scene does mean that 8 more layouts would need to be added to the current system. Not sure if it's possible and the resource impact it would have.

Rather than having dedicated layouts for each scene, maybe adding a Layout Link option in the Scene Manager could work? I believe this would make it work in a per preset manner. This would also allow the option to use the current system or assign a specific layout that would load when a scene is selected. It would be easier/quicker than assigning a Layout Link to each Scene switch and keeping it from being global. Having a default option of 'None' would allow for 'normal' use.

Using the 'Per Preset Scene' Layout Link idea, again depending upon it being possible, adding 2 or 3 more layouts to the system would make it feasible for those who would want to use 8 different layouts in a preset and still have a Looper layout as well as Presets and Scenes layouts. If it's not possible to add more layouts, you would still have 5-6 layouts (depending upon using the MLM layout or not) that could be assigned per scene.

Last edited:
Of course, there are other ways to solve "my problem".
But another layout also means programming 9 switches (Tap + Hold) in the layout. With my option, you would only have to programme 1 or 2 switches with the function "per Scene".
Another advantage of my wish is the following: Since you don't see the link immediately in the editor, it is harder to find the error in case of problems. "per Scene" would be displayed directly in the FC layout like "per Preset". I had to make this experience recently after I wanted to reconstruct the old programming of my FM3 and the switch assignment. Here I jumped to a different layout/view depending on the switch. It's hard to keep track of everything.
At least that's how I could imagine it. The final decision lies with FAS ;)

I thought I saw a notion about customizing the way that the effects sequence ( left to right) lays out, somewhere either in the manual or in one of the other bits of FM9 printed matter. does anyone know of what I speak, and can you tell me where it may be found?

thnx a bunch
Jack McMahon

I thought I saw a notion about customizing the way that the effects sequence ( left to right) lays out, somewhere either in the manual or in one of the other bits of FM9 printed matter. does anyone know of what I speak, and can you tell me where it may be found?

thnx a bunch
Jack McMahon
The flow of the switches, 1-9 - left to right - bottom to top, cannot be changed but you have complete control over the function of the switches which includes the order of effects but you do need to assign the switch definitions per switch. Page 73 in the FM9 manual begins the explanation of the layouts and how to edit switches.

IMO, it's easier to edit switches on a computer. In FM9 Edit, using the 'FC Edit' and 'FC Per-Prst' pages, you can copy and paste switch definitions (Tap and Hold) from one switch to another and placing the effects in any order you wish.

love the idea, or maybe a layout that shows the signal chain in order on the FC-12, then you don't have to program a per scene switch. the effects just show up automatically

Switch per scene would have the advantage that the FM3 could also be operated with it.
For example:
Scene 1 (Clean): Switch assignment - Chorus/Delay/Reverb
Scene 2 (Rhythm): Switch assignment - Drive/Flanger/Rotary
Scene 3 (Solo): Switch assignment - Boost/Flanger/Delay

Users of an FC can assign (almost) all effects from the signal chain to a switch. This is not always possible for users of the FM3 and possibly FM9.
More layouts could possibly remedy the situation.

When I think about it again, it should actually be called "switch per scene in the preset". The switch assignment should not be cross-preset. Or should it? Maybe also like with the AX8, that you can select across presets or only for the current preset. But everyone will have their own preferences. It would be nice if it could be realised in some way.

But FAS has to check how to programme it, so I'm out of the loop.

Good wish! I added an FC6 to my FM9 board to access effects. I could probably eliminate the FC6 if I had access to the effects used in each scene right after engaging that scene.

Good wish! I added an FC6 to my FM9 board to access effects. I could probably eliminate the FC6 if I had access to the effects used in each scene right after engaging that scene.
Cant you use a link layout to connect a scene button with going to the effects?

Back
Top Bottom