Wish: SPDIF In and SPDIF Out block

Can this be done?

It would be awesome to be able to place a SPDIF Out and SPIDF In block in the grid and use it as a digital domain effects loop between an AxeFx3 and an FM9 or FM3....
Did a little RTFMing and it looks like, at least on the FX3, one could set up any of the input blocks' source as Digital and set Digital Input Source to SPDIF and get the input, and SPDIF out source can be Output 1, Output 2, Input 1, or USB 7, 8, so it seems easiest to use In/Out 2 for setting up a SPDIF loop.

Haven't downloaded the FM9 manual yet, but given the advertised 8x8 capability, it seems like an unnecessary difference in code to set it up differently from the AxeFX3, so I am hopeful that the same general principles will apply....

Did a little RTFMing and it looks like, at least on the FX3, one could set up any of the input blocks' source as Digital and set Digital Input Source to SPDIF and get the input, and SPDIF out source can be Output 1, Output 2, Input 1, or USB 7, 8, so it seems easiest to use In/Out 2 for setting up a SPDIF loop.

Haven't downloaded the FM9 manual yet, but given the advertised 8x8 capability, it seems like an unnecessary difference in code to set it up differently from the AxeFX3, so I am hopeful that the same general principles will apply....
Just RTFM’d the FM9 and updated Blocks manual in preparation for TODAYS ARRIVAL …it appears that digital routing is equal or maybe even superior to that on the III(fingers crossed) other than one less analog I/O to consider on the FM9….manual definitely is required and pleasant reading for all, and @Admin M@ ’s prose style and online integrations improve with each product release.

I’m considering running both the FM9 and FM3 together and it didn’t occur to me to use SPDIF. Good idea, though the FM3 only has SPDIF out. I suppose I could route:

FM9 Output 3 > FM3 input 1
FM3 SPDIF out > FM9 SPDIF in

Right?

I’m considering running both the FM9 and FM3 together and it didn’t occur to me to use SPDIF. Good idea, though the FM3 only has SPDIF out. I suppose I could route:

FM9 Output 3 > FM3 input 1
FM3 SPDIF out > FM9 SPDIF in

Right?
Whenever I have tried an SPDIF loop (unit1 outto unit2 via SPDIF, and unit2 into unit1 via SPDIF) I run into the issue where unit1 cannot be both master and slave. Maybe I'm not doing something right but I always run into this and have not found the solution/correct method, so watch out for this. I currently have Ax3>Ax2>AudioInterface via all SPDIF - works fine but not circular loop connections.

Just RTFM’d the FM9 and updated Blocks manual in preparation for TODAYS ARRIVAL …it appears that digital routing is equal or maybe even superior to that on the III(fingers crossed) other than one less analog I/O to consider on the FM9….manual definitely is required and pleasant reading for all, and @Admin M@ ’s prose style and online integrations improve with each product release.
I couldn't stop my brain until 2am, thinking about ways to get the FM9 and FX3 to work together. Deets to come once things start happening....

Whenever I have tried an SPDIF loop (unit1 outto unit2 via SPDIF, and unit2 into unit1 via SPDIF) I run into the issue where unit1 cannot be both master and slave. Maybe I'm not doing something right but I always run into this and have not found the solution/correct method, so watch out for this. I currently have Ax3>Ax2>AudioInterface via all SPDIF - works fine but not circular loop connections.

That's a problem with the III also -- using a digital loop on the III is possible so long as a non-Fractal device is word clock master.

In my setup Ax3 is Master to Ax2 and Ax2 is master to audio interface (Roland Octacapture) - works fine, but if I try to spdif the audio interface back into Ax3 (making a loop) - no go.

I didn't know it was possible to have multiple word clock masters in a single chain.
I use an H8000 in an AES loop on the III with the H8000 as clock master -- no problem.

I didn't know it was possible to have multiple word clock masters in a single chain.
I use an H8000 in an AES loop on the III with the H8000 as clock master -- no problem.
Three chained devices (non circular) works great for me - Ax3,Ax2, and Audio interface are, digitally at least, one unit. In addition though, I sometimes go out an Ax3 loop into the Audio Interface and back into Ax3 in order to swap in software amps into the Axfx chain (ie Neural, Mercurial, ML...via their standalone apps using the lower latency non-aggregate device def (Roland OC)). I'm getting really low monitoring latency this way for using software amps within Axefx compared to via usb using an aggregated device on Mac (not hugely better but better with great feel having the plugin amp in axefx chain + with available Axefx pre/post fx). That latency could be even lower if I could do spdif out of Ax3 to audio interface and back instead of analogue, but that's where I'm getting an issue (trying to use spdif for the latter: Octaout to Ax3fxloop4In).

Glad you mentioned an spdif loop is working for you as I suspected the issue I'm having is from my Roland OctaCapture and not Ax3 (Roland OC needs to be slave to Ax2, Master to Ax3 Input4 in a full circular loop config). New interface is low on my shopping list though, so no biggy - I'm really happy with everything working as it is now despite that 1 analogue connection - being an obsessive tinkerer though, I'm always looking for little incremental improvements.

Last edited:
In my setup Ax3 is Master to Ax2 and Ax2 is master to audio interface (Roland Octacapture) - works fine, but if I try to spdif the audio interface back into Ax3 (making a loop) - no go.
According to the Ax2 manual, it can only be master -- there is no setting for changing clock source like there is on the Ax3. You might want to try changing Ax3 word clock from internal to SPDIF/AES in if you want to loop back from the Roland to the Ax3.

According to the Ax2 manual, it can only be master -- there is no setting for changing clock source like there is on the Ax3. You might want to try changing Ax3 word clock from internal to SPDIF/AES in if you want to loop back from the Roland to the Ax3.
A Word Clock parameter was added to the Axe-FX II eventually.

Note that using the audio signal at SPDIF/AES in means the Axe-FX (II or III) is slaved to that signal. I believe the III requires selecting SPDIF/AES as clock source before you'll get a signal into the grid, while the II automatically uses external clock once you set main input source to SPDIF/AES. (The choice of AUTO or SPDIF/AES on the Axe-FX II only affects operation with main input source on Analog In 1 or USB.)

You might want to try changing Ax3 word clock from internal to SPDIF/AES in if you want to loop back from the Roland to the Ax3.
If I set Axe3 clock to spdif/aes in Ax2 can't acquire word clock - Ax2 needs Ax3 Incoming to be master. Even the simpler case of Ax3 out to Roland via Spdif and back to Ax3 in from Roland via Spdif has issues - one direction or the other will work but not circular - I think the Roland has an issue with spdif in/out from/to the same external device but I mentioned it above as I may happen with other devices.

If I set Axe3 clock to spdif/aes in Ax2 can't acquire word clock - Ax2 needs Ax3 Incoming to be master.
yeah, my suggestion was based on the assumption that the roland provided master clock to the ax3, which would be passed to the ax2 from the 3 (so as far as the 2 knows, the 3 is master), but seems like the roland isn't up to it.

+1 to this wish. It would be super cool to run my FM9 in a S/PDIF loop of the Axe-Fx III. That would be crazy powerful.
I am running a half loop:
FM9 SPDIF Out -> FX3 SPDIF In.

I have one preset so far that forwards the guitar input signal on one channel and the amp/cab output on the other so I can do things with the dry guitar in the FX3. At some point I will get around to building a 4-amp preset, just because I can....

+1 to this wish. It would be super cool to run my FM9 in a S/PDIF loop of the Axe-Fx III. That would be crazy powerful.
I don't understand why you can't do this today? Unless you want to use digital alongside all the analog IO at the same time?

You can set the FM9 IN2/OUT2 to digital, set the digital IO to SPDIF, word clock to external, and bob's your uncle.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have my AxeFX III set up this way with my interface and it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom