WISH: "Send MIDI function"

JustinAiken

Inspired
Rather than asking for more Control Switches, what would be even nicer is a simple "Send MIDI" function, that could just assign a button to send a hardcoded PC or CC message.

That way one could use the FC12 to:
- Control external loopers
- Control DAWs
- etc...

Without having to parcel out the 6 control switches, and would leave the control switches free for fractal use.

(Other than lacking in controlling external devices functionality, my one-hour review of this thing is WOW AMAZING!)

Rather than asking for more Control Switches, what would be even nicer is a simple "Send MIDI" function, that could just assign a button to send a hardcoded PC or CC message.

That way one could use the FC12 to:
- Control external loopers
- Control DAWs
- etc...

Without having to parcel out the 6 control switches, and would leave the control switches free for fractal use.

(Other than lacking in controlling external devices functionality, my one-hour review of this thing is WOW AMAZING!)

That sounds like the Scene Midi block except instead of tying it to a scene, you associate it to a FC footswitch. Seems like that could be a useful idea.

The idea of a separate MIDI FOOTSWITCH block was unfortunately ruled out. We have explored adding one or more "footswitchable" messages to the Scene MIDI block, but that turns out to be a can of worms too.

In general, to control a complex DAW or device via MIDI, I still recommend the MFC-101 if you can find one.

The idea of a separate MIDI FOOTSWITCH block was unfortunately ruled out. We have explored adding one or more "footswitchable" messages to the Scene MIDI block, but that turns out to be a can of worms too.

In general, to control a complex DAW or device via MIDI, I still recommend the MFC-101 if you can find one.

I understand that this Footswitch Midi block sounds complex. But what about having a midi function added to the list of functions we have per switch? Just like any other footswitch functions?

I understand that this Footswitch Midi block sounds complex. But what about having a midi function added to the list of functions we have per switch? Just like any other footswitch functions?
A “midi function” is still “a something.” It could be a block, a menu item, etc. it’d need to be developed the same.

Any kind of "something" to send more MIDI commands (on press, not on scene change) would be very welcome... doesn't have to be too complex, just a way to "send CC x on channel y with value z" when hitting a switch...

Definitely don't want a MFC-101 (or even keep a morningstar around) just to send more than 6 CCs :p

What about something like this? (see mock-up below)
  1. Each of the 8 midi commands could be set to send when a scene is selected (current default), or sent manually.
  2. A 'toggle' switch could be attached to a (momentary) FC switch (or via midi?) to control those commands set to 'Manual'.
  3. This would allow for both 'Auto' and 'Manual' commands (max of 8) on a per-scene basis.
  4. Add maybe a second instance of the Midi block for those using the Axe-Fx III/FC combo as a DAW command center?
  5. Oh, and a way to copy and paste the settings between each scene.
Midi Block Wish 1.png

Last edited:
  1. Each of the 8 midi commands could be set to send when a scene is selected (current default), or sent manually.
  2. A 'toggle' switch could be attached to a (momentary) FC switch (or via midi?) to control those commands set to 'Manual'.
  3. This would allow for both 'Auto' and 'Manual' commands (max of 8) on a per-scene basis.
  4. Add maybe a second instance of the Midi block for those using the Axe-Fx III/FC combo as a DAW command center?
View attachment 52957
I really hope that something like this will be possible. Or allowing the Control Switches to be accessible via external switches. I won't be able to use the FC otherwise.:(

View attachment 52957

I am not sure about this, although it is a good idea I definitely need more than 8 midi commands per scene, and would not like to have to copy paste them on all scenes, all preset. I think something on a more global level maybe?

Though I would love a function to send midi messages to be implemented I still think the easiest would be to increase the number of CS. They are handy because you can save their state on a per scene basis, + you can group them + they are already implemented.

Hi all, not trying to hijack the thread, but, to be clear, the fc will pass on midi information to down stream units on different midi channels, correct?
Thanks

I have one, it's pretty much an expensive paperweight with the III, not sure how you can recommend it to anyone...
He literally said “to control a DAW or device via MIDI.” He didn’t say “to control an Axe-Fx III.”

Hi all, not trying to hijack the thread, but, to be clear, the fc will pass on midi information to down stream units on different midi channels, correct?
Thanks
No, the FC doesn’t pass MIDI. The Axe-Fx III does, assuming it’s programmed to. Using a Control Switch on the FC, you can trigger that message from the Axe.

He literally said “to control a DAW or device via MIDI.” He didn’t say “to control an Axe-Fx III.”

That’s true, but I still don’t see how it’s fit to recommend the MFC given its incompatibility with the III.

I use my foot controller to control my Axe-FX AND other gear AND a DAW, so I need it to work with all three. And it’s a III related part of the forum, so it’s safe to assume people would need gear that works with it, I think.

Also, I’m not quite sure as I haven’t tested it yet myself, but I think that even if you use an MFC with the III and program it to send MIDI to a DAW, your messages will just die in the III as it doesn’t pass them to USB. You’ll need some additional gear to make it work.

I'm sorry, that wasn't very clear. I need to set up an external pedal plugged into the fc that will send a message down stream from the III on a different midi channel. Possible?

That’s true, but I still don’t see how it’s fit to recommend the MFC given its incompatibility with the III.

I use my foot controller to control my Axe-FX AND other gear AND a DAW, so I need it to work with all three. And it’s a III related part of the forum, so it’s safe to assume people would need gear that works with it, I think.

Also, I’m not quite sure as I haven’t tested it yet myself, but I think that even if you use an MFC with the III and program it to send MIDI to a DAW, your messages will just die in the III as it doesn’t pass them to USB. You’ll need some additional gear to make it work.
He’s recommending it to control things regardless if a III is used or not. Directly connected and controlling those things, not connected to a III at all.

I'm sorry, that wasn't very clear. I need to set up an external pedal plugged into the fc that will send a message down stream from the III on a different midi channel. Possible?
No. A Control Switch must be assigned to one of the on-board switches.

- No, you can't sent MIDI to external devices via external switch
- Yes, you can send MIDI to external devices via builtin switch:
- The 6 Control Switches work... but there's only 6 of them :p
- Leaving no CS's left to control a looper pedal
- Yes, you need a MIDI-USB cable from the AxeIII MIDI Out to the computer in order to control a DAW - no biggie, it's like $15​

Of course, the AxeIII's the main thing I want to control (which the FC12 is *amazing* for!)... it would just be nice if it could also control external devices a bit too, so I don't to have two controllers side by side; my legs are too short :p

Just to be clear, do you mean an external "button" (aka, "switch") or are you talking about some sort of external midi pedal?

The FC is not a midi pedal and has no midi jacks.

Back
Top Bottom