WISH: Per-preset MIDI PC

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
I'd like to make the case for configurable per-preset MIDI program change messages. These would be in addition to the per-scene MIDI PCs we already have.

I understand the purpose of the AX8 as a portable live rig, and I understand that there's a delicate balance between CPU, features, and cost.

The AX8 sits in a weird hybrid land where it is a guitar processor in the form factor of a MIDI controller, and even does some things better than the MFC-101 (like hold for X/Y, when you're controlling AX8 internal stuff). But in truth it's actually a very limited MIDI controller. No CC's, and no footswitch assignable MIDI other than via scenes. Both of those would be useful, but today I'm specifically requesting the ability to configure a MIDI program change to be sent per preset.

If you have a loop switcher or an external pedal like an H9 or Timeline, you're likely already using the per-scene MIDI PCs to change presets on that external unit. And likely, you don't have a 1-1 preset mapping between the AX8 and the external unit. More likely is that you have a varying range of external presets on each device.

Since the per-scene MIDI PCs have a clear purpose and are already being used, it wouldn't work to use the Scene 1 PC as a "per-preset" PC - especially if you have to return to Scene 1 several times while you're in an AX8 preset. That would mean a MIDI PC got fired several times - useful when it you designed it to follow scenes, but less useful if you want it to follow presets only.

I would find it useful to have the option of sending one additional MIDI program change when each preset is initially selected. This would allow for scenarios such as running a backup unit, keeping Mainstage or Set List Maker in sync with your preset changes, firing a track in Ableton, etc. All of this without disrupting the already useful per-scene MIDI PCs that we have.

I know there are clunky workarounds: I could use a MIDI Solutions box, sending PCs only to it and letting it send out various messages to various devices. Or I could let Mainstage be the MIDI hub, having each of those presets send out other MIDI info elsewhere. However, neither of those workarounds solve the issue of the Scene 1 MIDI PC firing every time you go back to Scene 1, and not just when you first call up the preset. Or I could get a second, capable MIDI controller that would control both AX8 and anything else. That would be a bit of a bummer, not having the AX8 as the central hub to my portable live rig.

Thanks for reading and may the force be ever in your favor.

Me too... I would like to have MIDI block (2 or 8...) from FX8. It is minimum for me (Triple Play to Blofeld; SY-300, H9...)

You guys seem to know this midi stuff pretty well and I've been looking at it too...since we can only send midi on scene changes and i can only send one PC change, if I have two seperate effects that I want to change (timeline/bigsky) do i have to have all of my presets on the same PC number if I want them to be on at the same time? That seems tedious...specially if i wanted to take a delay preset for a verse and then add the reverb on top of that. I would have to copy the delay to another PC number and then make sure I had the reverb set up on the same when I wanted them on together. Or am I just a midi noob? With a CC change I could turn the bypass state of the individual effects.

Correct, the current AX8 MIDI implementation is very limited, which manifests itself as soon as you try to control more than one external MIDI device.

The best bet for your scenario is to think of all the possible combinations of Big Sky / Timeline effects you might use. Spreadsheet it out if necessary. Then copy those effects/presets to the same MIDI PC, and then a single scene can control both.

I'd like to make the case for configurable per-preset MIDI program change messages. These would be in addition to the per-scene MIDI PCs we already have.

I understand the purpose of the AX8 as a portable live rig, and I understand that there's a delicate balance between CPU, features, and cost.

The AX8 sits in a weird hybrid land where it is a guitar processor in the form factor of a MIDI controller, and even does some things better than the MFC-101 (like hold for X/Y, when you're controlling AX8 internal stuff). But in truth it's actually a very limited MIDI controller. No CC's, and no footswitch assignable MIDI other than via scenes. Both of those would be useful, but today I'm specifically requesting the ability to configure a MIDI program change to be sent per preset.

If you have a loop switcher or an external pedal like an H9 or Timeline, you're likely already using the per-scene MIDI PCs to change presets on that external unit. And likely, you don't have a 1-1 preset mapping between the AX8 and the external unit. More likely is that you have a varying range of external presets on each device.

Since the per-scene MIDI PCs have a clear purpose and are already being used, it wouldn't work to use the Scene 1 PC as a "per-preset" PC - especially if you have to return to Scene 1 several times while you're in an AX8 preset. That would mean a MIDI PC got fired several times - useful when it you designed it to follow scenes, but less useful if you want it to follow presets only.

I would find it useful to have the option of sending one additional MIDI program change when each preset is initially selected. This would allow for scenarios such as running a backup unit, keeping Mainstage or Set List Maker in sync with your preset changes, firing a track in Ableton, etc. All of this without disrupting the already useful per-scene MIDI PCs that we have.

I know there are clunky workarounds: I could use a MIDI Solutions box, sending PCs only to it and letting it send out various messages to various devices. Or I could let Mainstage be the MIDI hub, having each of those presets send out other MIDI info elsewhere. However, neither of those workarounds solve the issue of the Scene 1 MIDI PC firing every time you go back to Scene 1, and not just when you first call up the preset. Or I could get a second, capable MIDI controller that would control both AX8 and anything else. That would be a bit of a bummer, not having the AX8 as the central hub to my portable live rig.

Thanks for reading and may the force be ever in your favor.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the Scene 1 PC is different from the Per-Preset PC you're asking for? If you switch to a preset, then it will send the PC assigned to Scene 1. Are you saying you want it so send 2 PC's, one for Scene 1 and a general Preset PC?
-
Austin

Are you saying you want it so send 2 PC's, one for Scene 1 and a general Preset PC?
-
Austin

Yes, exactly. Because the general Preset PC will only be sent once, while any Scene PC might get sent several times. There are many scenarios as I described where a general Preset PC would be useful in addition to Scene PCs (assuming you are already using Scene PCs for something).

My specific use case is that I use the Scene PCs to control a loop switcher (that has several external drives). That precludes me from being able to use Scene 1 PC in each preset/song to change the patch in Mainstage. Unless I didn't use Scene 1 for anything, but rather immediately switched to Scene 2 for every song? Yuck.

Yes, exactly. Because the general Preset PC will only be sent once, while any Scene PC might get sent several times. There are many scenarios as I described where a general Preset PC would be useful in addition to Scene PCs (assuming you are already using Scene PCs for something).

My specific use case is that I use the Scene PCs to control a loop switcher (that has several external drives). That precludes me from being able to use Scene 1 PC in each preset/song to change the patch in Mainstage. Unless I didn't use Scene 1 for anything, but rather immediately switched to Scene 2 for every song? Yuck.

Got it. That makes perfect sense. And seems like it would be fairly easy to implement?
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom