Wish: parametric EQ tweak for Cab-Lab

greiswig

Power User
There are times when I find an IR that is...oooh, so close. But it lacks something, or has too much of something.

I envision an interface where I could superimpose a few bands of parametric EQ over the IR spectrum chart, similar to channel PEQs on many modern mixers with graphic UIs. For example, if I wanted to roll off some of the boxiness on an otherwise perfect IR, I could do that and save the IR.

Yes, the preamp in the cab block can help, but it is imprecise. And yes, I can add a PEQ block after the cab, but it uses CPU, and I am close to the limit on a number of patches. I think this would make the job of sifting through hundreds of IRs a lot easier, and make the user-created IRs better. I would pay for that update, because I think it would result in better cabs and would save me time.

That can be done inside the box. if you have an 'Axe-Fx'. Or Moke's Custom Presets can do it for you?

Moke, other than the ways I mentioned in the OP, what are you describing?

Clint, what DAW are you using that lets you do that? I'd love to hear more.

I use Sonar Platinum, Harrison Mixbus 3, and Tracktion 7. They can all do it.
The Fractal IR packs (along with ML Sound) don't have the wav files. If someone knows how to get those it would be great.
For my Ownhammer or Redwirez IRs I import the wav file and then insert a parametric EQ into the fx bin. Then make whatever corrections you want and export the track as a wav file. (I use 24bit 48khz this doesn't seem to be a problem for Cab Lab.)
Load the wav into Cab Lab...done.

It is nice that they included the HP/LP filter...which is what is needed most. IMHO Ownhammer IRs need a cut in the mids, which has to be done either in a daw, or by using a parametric block in the AX8.
The tools are there one way or the other, but an EQ in Cab Lab would be very good indeed.

>> where I could superimpose a few bands of parametric EQ over the IR spectrum chart

Here's a thought: No one stops you from setting up any parametric EQ for the sound you want, then do impulse response capture on it.
If I go too crazy with high Q / low frequencies the impulse response may get too long. But for gentle tweaks, can't see why it shouldn't work. Disclaimer - haven't actually tried myself :)

Do you mean inserting an EQ before/after the IR ?
It does not solve the problem, in fact what I would is to separate two IR in terms of frequency, then combining them, keeping the low end of one and the high of a second one to cover all the spectrum, but using only one specific part of each IR...
In Cab Lab the function is half there, just need to expand the bandpass setting range I guess...
However the result could be inaccurate, I'll try with 2 tracks (with the same signal of course), each with one IR, and the first with a low pass and second with high pass filter

Yes, we have a PEQ, but we can’t sweep around looking for troubled frequencies. We are also limited on bands. This would be a great step for Fractal Audio to implement a solid PEQ update in there firmware. I do engineering, but I don’t want to take my preset out of the Axe FX unless I’m ready to use it in the mix. I would like the preset to be almost mix ready and then throw it in my DAW. This does not mean that I don’t expect to do any other tweaking, but it would be a significant improvement to the unit and the Axe Edit software.

Back
Top Bottom