Wish Me Luck

What happened to the days where the dad stayed home with his buddies and cigars until the doctor called to tell you "it's a boy"?

What happened to the days where the dad stayed home with his buddies and cigars until the doctor called to tell you "it's a boy"?

I was there for both of mine (both caesareans) and I pity those in the old days. My heart literally GREW in my chest when I saw my boy, and then 22 months later, my girl. I get a little choked up even now remembering that sensation of massively expanding love - and my girl's about to be 24 years old now! I somehow held my wife' s hand, prayed, and took photos (many bloody, but blood has never bothered me - I should'a been a doctor) all at the same time.

Peak experiences of my life, being present when those two new beings I love so much arrived...

Incidentally, I played vivaldi realy loud when my wife was pregnant with out first. A lot. And when he was born, whenever he got cranky, we'd put on the vivaldi 4 seasons, and he'd get this bemused 'where have I heard this before' look on his face... and smile and go to sleep. Dunno if it works with AC/DC, though. ;)

I was there for mine as well... all 24 hours of it. I do remember the doc asking me if I would like to "see" at one point.. no thanks. But I was pretty involved and priority one was being there for my wife. It's one of the few rights of passage left in our society IMHO, so glad I went through it. My girl's at almost 19 months- and she LOVES Dad's guitars... has to strum everyone one as soon as she gets home.

I was there for mine as well... all 24 hours of it. I do remember the doc asking me if I would like to "see" at one point.. no thanks. But I was pretty involved and priority one was being there for my wife. It's one of the few rights of passage left in our society IMHO, so glad I went through it. My girl's at almost 19 months- and she LOVES Dad's guitars... has to strum everyone one as soon as she gets home.
Hell, I took pics while the doc pulled out something that looked like a bloody volleyball and kinda looked all around it while he genty twisted it this way and that. I asked him what it was. he said it was her uterus! He was checking for scalpel nicks. I kid you not, and I have the pics to prove it! Like a friggin' mechanic with a carburetor!

Back
Top Bottom