Wish Wish List: New Amps

Orange OR80 or OR120
Sunn Model T Reissue
Mesa Dual Caliber 50 or 100 watt

Edit: I wrote this, my kids started going insane, and I posted it with the intention of saying why these would be cool amps, and not just sounding like an entitled turd.

I’ve been down the YouTube rabbit hole watching videos of old Oranges and reissue Sunn amps and just feel like they’ve got something new to offer to the amp arsenal. They’re amps that have real character in their gain structure and midrange. Just plain ballsy, and would be great options for thick tones with personality.

The Mesa Dual Caliber (DC-5 or DC-10) seems like an interesting beast. With Mesas, the fewer the channels and modes, the better it sounds. Something about the added circuitry makes things buzzy and undefined, but the stripped down models have more focus and just feel better. This amp was made in the 90’s and was meant to be a bridge between the Mark IV and the 2 channel Dual Rec.

Last edited:
The Mesa Dual Caliber (DC-5 or DC-10) seems like an interesting beast. With Mesas, the fewer the channels and modes, the better it sounds. Something about the added circuitry makes things buzzy and undefined, but the stripped down models have more focus and just feel better. This amp was made in the 90’s and was meant to be a bridge between the Mark IV and the 2 channel Dual Rec.
I actually own this amp, The DC-10 to be specific. Bought it new back in the day and it was my main gigging amp. What you say about bridging the gap is exactly right. When I was making my purchasing decision I sat with the DC-10 and a Recto for the better part of 2 hours. And in the end I went with the DC 10 because i liked the fact that it was a different tone than the Recto, Everyone at that time was using recto's and I wanted something that sounded a little different. I also think it is a little more diverse than a recto. Amazing amp, still love mine to death. Wish Fractal would model it.

yearly vote for the EF86 channel of the DC30, and while we're shooting for the stars a version that's both channels jumpered, which is the way most DC30 players prefer to run that amp.

+1

This is very close to the EF86 channel in my Simone. Basically, I have a tighter range for the 5 bass-reduced positions, and slightly less gain dialed in via plate/cathode/screen r/c circuits.

Bonus points if the cap values can be editable from DC30 values to tweak where the bass rolloff happens....

Orange OR80 or OR120
Sunn Model T Reissue
Mesa Dual Caliber 50 or 100 watt

Edit: I wrote this, my kids started going insane, and I posted it with the intention of saying why these would be cool amps, and not just sounding like an entitled turd.

I’ve been down the YouTube rabbit hole watching videos of old Oranges and reissue Sunn amps and just feel like they’ve got something new to offer to the amp arsenal. They’re amps that have real character in their gain structure and midrange. Just plain ballsy, and would be great options for thick tones with personality.

I agree with the Orange amps. The RV50 and AD30 by themselves don't really represent the classic Orange sound at all.

Did someone say ADA MP-1? Would love models of the tube dist channel, one mated to an EL34 (Brit 800?) power section and one mated to a Mesa style (6L6) power amp.

ADA was my sound for almost 2 decades. We had a band open for us last saturday night and the guitarist was playing thru one and I had a flashback moment. this has got to be included some day soon I hope!

Absolutely seconding the request for an MP-1. I’d love all of the modes, but if I can only have one, the tube distortion by a long shot (though I’d love the solid state clean as a complement to the JC-120 models!)
Did someone say ADA MP-1? Would love models of the tube dist channel, one mated to an EL34 (Brit 800?) power section and one mated to a Mesa style (6L6) power amp.

since we're listing (asking?)

Most any Henriksen
AER Compact Classic or Compact 60

Gibson GA-19 RVT
~'60-'64 Gibson GA Skylark
Warbler Muse Juke 1210
Lexicon Signature 284 (rack mount EL84 - without "pulling for boost" - boost is just extra)

We have over 260 amps in, but there is no one Steel String Singer.
I know people mostly like the classics, but S.S.S. is a super classic.
Sure is not easy to find a real Dumble one, but there are some clones that sound amazing, like Bludotone Hi-Plains Drifter, Welagen SSS, Two Rock Silver Sterling Signature.

DO IT!

:p

Attachments

• 42045_d5988a5f54af0a1151bd77f877f868a5.jpg
    42045_d5988a5f54af0a1151bd77f877f868a5.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
I would love to see the following three amps, which seem to be relatively unique:

Musicman HD130
The HD130 is a fantastic guitar amp. Specifically, I like the "Normal" channel with the "Deep" switch on. There are at least two versions of this amp. The one that I've used has a smaller housing than the other version that I've seen, which is quite tall. It looks like this:
IMG_3262_E_zpskb5pnk8w.jpg

The following two amps are for bass guitar.

Sunn 1200S
image.jpg

Marshall DBS7400
322622-SH-198-3740 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom