Wish Wish List: New Amps

I.M.O ...... the Axe needs more rock / hard rock / metal amps like a fat-man needs more donuts ..... :) ...... having said that ........ we're never going to get the Matchless DC30 EF 86 Channel are we ..... (?) .... at least tell us so and put us out of the "multi-year-wait-misery" :)

Ben

Last edited:
Yamaha THR 100 - modern, lead and crunch channels please!

Is that crunch amp supposed to be an AC-30 or some kind of Mesa Mark II or III? I use the preset editor to put the studio comp in front at 1:1 but with 20db of clean boost, then change the cabinet to American 4x12, if you turn the bass down and treble up that thing can rip you head clean off.

Is that crunch amp supposed to be an AC-30 or some kind of Mesa Mark II or III? I use the preset editor to put the studio comp in front at 1:1 but with 20db of clean boost, then change the cabinet to American 4x12, if you turn the bass down and treble up that thing can rip you head clean off.
Funny thing, and I adore this about the THR100HD, each of the voices are more of an “in the neighborhood of” certain iconic amp classes and yet is very much it’s own thing. The crunch channel can be made to sound like a Vox amp if desired by choosing the appropriate tube type. It can do other tones as well. I am not familiar enough with the Mark II or III to give you a reliable answer. If I were to guess, I would say it could probably offer something similar.

Yamaha THR 100 - modern, lead and crunch channels please!

the team that put the THR amps together did component modeling too, they got it riiiiiiight. Instead of copying verbatim they took each design and basically turned it into the ideal version of whatever that amp is, like the clean (Deluxe Reverb) breaks up so much more, and has a lot more top end chime to it, and the low end is tighter but still huge. I'm surprised they haven't done any more with them yet, if i had to rank modeling quality I'd legit put them right under fractal, not even close to what I've heard come out of a Helix or Bias.

The Yamaha THR 100HD is criminally and hghly under rated. As much as I love my new Axe FX III these Yamaha units are incredible. The Yamaha THR10 is quite cool but the 100 watt head takes it a bit further. Not quite as versitale as the Axe FX but they really sound incredible. Using two amp tones at once is so stupid. I would urge all fans of this approach to try this amp. I use a modern amp on one side with a boosted Brit tone on the other with plate reverbs and it is glorious,

It really is that good. Please add these models. They are certainly worthy.

Last edited:
This. I’d love to see cliff’s perfect dumble
FAS Doom (or Stoner, Sludge, whatever) is one I have lobbied for in the past to no avail. Or a classic Orange OR120 or Green amp. They are different than the modern Oranges in the Axe but probably a little similar to the Hiwatt.

I do think a case can be made that the current selection here is on the weak side here; even for those who are against non-super-unique new amp models.

Back
Top Bottom