WISH: LED Behavior for Smart Bypass (dimmed for bypass, off when effect not present)

This is similar to this post by trancefods but I think slightly different.
forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wish-i-wish-that-the-led-was-dimmed-when-a-channel-was-off-and-bright-when-it-was-on.164446/

When using Smart Bypass with channel selection, whe no channel is selected and the effect is in bypass, the LED ring is turned off. This is counterinutuitive, as an "off" LED generally indicates the effect is not present in the preset.

In a separte post on the topic, ethomas suggested the following, which is what this WISH is for:
  1. Off: The effect is not present in the current preset. This applies to all switches assigned to the same block regardless of channel.
  2. Dim: The effect is bypassed. This applies to all switches assigned to the same block regardless of channel.
  3. Bright: The effect is not bypassed and is on the switch's configured channel. This only applies to the switch that corresponds to the current channel of the effect
More details in ethomas's post:
forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/implemented-wish-channel-select-smart-bypass-ring-color-change-follows-bypass.147054/#post-1910096

Side note: I am pretty new to the forum, and therefore cannot post links to URLs. Perhaps the validation rule could allow URLs to this domain (to cross reference other posts).

It seems that one state is not described: the effect is not bypassed and is NOT on the switch's configured channel. Or is that state somehow described by one of the other 3?

It seems that one state is not described: the effect is not bypassed and is NOT on the switch's configured channel. Or is that state somehow described by one of the other 3?

The unit kind of already does this- if the effect is on, the non-configured channels light up dim, which is cool. But when the effect is bypassed, all configured channel's LEDs are off.

Here's an example...
Let's say I have switches 1-4 set up for channels A, B, C, and D. Switch 5 is the bypass switch for the effect.
If I mock up the board LED's here, where x = off, and o = bright, and d = dim, it might look like this:

All off:
x-x-x-x-x

All on:
o-o-o-o-o

Switch #4 is dim and the others are off:
x-x-x-d-x

THE WAY IT WORKS NOW
----------------------------------
Effect not in preset:
x-x-x-x-x

Effect on and channel A selected:
o-d-d-d-o

Effect on and channel B selected:
d-o-d-d-o

Effect bypassed and channel A selected (or any channel of that matter)
x-x-x-x-d

THE WISH
----------------------------------
Effect bypassed and channel A selected (or any channel of that matter)
d-d-d-d-d

Thanks for the clear explanation. The way the request was worded, it seemed like dim only applied to bypassed blocks.

Thanks for the clear explanation. The way the request was worded, it seemed like dim only applied to bypassed blocks.

You're welcome- thanks for reading and posing the question. This is a compelx machine and sometimes what is clear to one in concept doesn't always translate well in a forum post!

And that is another huge plus for Fractal Design- how well written their manuals are. If I wrote like that you probably wouldn't have had to ask the question!

I think what you are asking for makes good sense.
It would be up to @BryantP to assess feasibility and thread this in to other priorities.
It would need to be one way or the other. There is no place for an option around this; my only question then is whether there aren't -- by now -- people who would see this as "breaking" things.

I just stumbled across the same issue. The current implementation seems like a bug to me (at least it does not match the description in the manual).
So I second this wish.

I just stumbled across the same issue. The current implementation seems like a bug to me (at least it does not match the description in the manual).
So I second this wish.
Are you an Axe Fx III user? The latest beta version changes the behavior:

Updated the switch ring LED to be dim instead of off for Function Effect: Select Channel when Smart Bypass is ON and the effect is in the preset but the effect is bypassed.

Note that the current beta version 19.02b has some issues related to layouts and stand-in switches, so I would hold off for the moment.

Are you an Axe Fx III user? The latest beta version changes the behavior:

Note that the current beta version 19.02b has some issues related to layouts and stand-in switches, so I would hold off for the moment.
Yes, Axe FX 3 user. Now I found it in the relase notes of the beta, thanks for the hint.
Because of the known bugs of the beta I will wait for the official release.

Back
Top Bottom