Wish - Increased offset range in Modifier settings

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
-100% - 100% is not getting the job done for a few things.

Trying to make a nice, tight parabola with a clipped top to turn something on (or off) for a quarter of the pedal's range, but have it fade in/out quickly on either side....

Screen%20Shot%202021-12-08%20at%2011.42.31%20PM.png

If I had more range on the Offset, I could tighten this up considerably by cranking on a bit more Scale....

Same wish applies for other platforms....

Joe,

This may seem a bit unusual, but I thought it might work. Have you tried to decrease the mid to a lower value than 100%? 100 is going to take it to the highest point on screen; decreasing it to less than 100% might bring a better curve into view.

FTR, don't shoot the messenger. Just thinking out of the box here. Of course, I may be talking out of my hat. (Been known to do that occasionally, but sometimes trying a bit of variety might do the job.)

Last edited:
Joe,

This may seem a bit unusual, but I thought it might work. Have you tried to decrease the mid to a lower value than 100%? 100 is going to take it to the highest point on screen; decreasing it to less than 100% might bring a better curve into view.

FTR, don't shoot the messenger. Just thinking out of the box here. Of course, I may be talking out of my hat. (Been known to do that occasionally, but sometimes trying a bit of variety might do the job.)
I think that's intentional... He wants it to hit and stay at 100% for part of the pedal's sweep.

I think that's intentional... He wants it to hit and stay at 100% for part of the pedal's sweep.
This ^^^^

The object is to be able to set up 4 "regions" on a control pedal, so I can get 4 sounds from heel-down to toe-down, with seamless sound transitions....

Last edited:
I believe many people use slope/scale/offset as a way to attempt to create an arbitrary response curve. For me today, I was trying to create a step function at 50%. The problem is those 3 parameters are pretty limited for that purpose, and the result is often frustration. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe the better way to address this is to offer a curve drawing capability where you drag around some control points in order to get the desired shape.

This ^^^^

The object is to be able to set up 4 "regions" on a control pedal, so I can get 4 sounds from heel-down to toe-down, with seamless sound transitions....
Hmm. This is gonna sound impolite. What's wrong with the curve in your OP? Do you need a steeper slope?

I believe many people use slope/scale/offset as a way to attempt to create an arbitrary response curve. For me today, I was trying to create a step function at 50%. The problem is those 3 parameters are pretty limited for that purpose, and the result is often frustration. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe the better way to address this is to offer a curve drawing capability where you drag around some control points in order to get the desired shape.
GET OUT OF MY HEAD. 🤪

Within the current paradigm, more Offset range would help a lot. To have a few Bezier curve adjustment points would be glorious. Tbe programming utility for my ExpressionIO has a couple, and 2 of my 4 pedals have a bit of an S to them to slow the middle range down a bit. In conjunction with the Slope at 0, it makes finding middle a little easier, for those 3-range set-ups....

@GlennO Curve drawing would be cool but "dragging points" via front panel seems like a UI challenge.

Alternatively maybe a spline model with a variable number of nodes each of which can be set/scrolled up/down. (@Joe Bfstplk beat me to it!)

GET OUT OF MY HEAD. 🤪

Within the current paradigm, more Offset range would help a lot. To have a few Bezier curve adjustment points would be glorious. Tbe programming utility for my ExpressionIO has a couple, and 2 of my 4 pedals have a bit of an S to them to slow the middle range down a bit. In conjunction with the Slope at 0, it makes finding middle a little easier, for those 3-range set-ups....
Sorry, Joe, you can't have a PEQ in your external control/Josie. (Now I need to get out of my own head.)

@GlennO Curve drawing would be cool but "dragging points" via front panel seems like a UI challenge.

Alternatively maybe a spline model with a variable number of nodes each of which can be set/scrolled up/down. (@Joe Bfstplk beat me to it!)
Imagine three knobs:
Xpos (0% - 100%)
Ypos (0% - 100%)
Corner Radius (1% - 100%)

and 8 buttons to enable/select each deflection point for adjustment....

Yes. I would like to be able to get in and out of the elevated range quicker and tighter....
Mr. Obvious here. Nothing beneficial happens when you lower the slope percentage?

My gut feeling is that you might just need to try tweaking the knob settings until you find something you like. One knob at a time. If one doesn't work, try another until you've checked each one. (Sorry, that's about as diagnostic as I can be this evening.)

If you've already tried that, no gots a solution.

Last edited:
Mr. Obvious here. Nothing beneficial happens when you lower the slope percentage?
Depends on how you define beneficial. It moves the peak left and downward. Eventually the peak falls below the top of the box. Swapping the end values between left and right bumps the top of the curve back up outside the box, so you can get the second quarter-ish chunk of the range maxed out.

My gut feeling is that you might just need to try tweaking the knob settings until you find something you like. One knob at a time. If one doesn't work, try another until you've checked each one. (Sorry, that's about as diagnostic as I can be this evening.)

If you've already tried that, no gots a solution.
The Offset knob starts in the right direction, but runs out of gas before it gets there. With more offset, I could dial in more Scale and less Slope, and the sides would be steeper without making the top too wide....

Ultimately, to be able to position a number of points and set the corner radius at each, then have the dots connected to make the "curve" you want would be heaven....

Depends on how you define beneficial. It moves the peak left and downward. Eventually the peak falls below the top of the box. Swapping the end values between left and right bumps the top of the curve back up outside the box, so you can get the second quarter-ish chunk of the range maxed out.
The real question is, have you been good this year? You-know-who is watching. Makin' a list and checkin' it twice...

A wish is a wish. I wished for better dental care.

The real question is, have you been good this year? You-know-who is watching. Makin' a list and checkin' it twice...

A wish is a wish. I wished for better dental care.
Depends on your definition of good.... 🤪

Dunno if Fractal does dentistry, but if they did, I'm sure it would be top shelf. Not so sure I'd be up for quite so many updates, tho....

Back
Top Bottom