Wish I started playing at a younger age...

Music should be something you enjoy doing, it’s not a destination or a race.

Never too late to pick up an instrument, and as long as you enjoy playing, it doesn’t matter how good or bad you play.

Good words here... I played drums/percussion from the time I was 6 until my early 30's...
But there was always something that drew me to guitar... After playing rhythm for 30 years - I craved melody.
I started taking guitar lessons when I was 35 - now I'm 47 and never looked back. I'm not an amazing player - I'm ok. I have enough knowledge of theory to get me around the fret board. As an adult , I also don't have the 4 hours a day that I used to practice. I do, however have a good 1-2 hours a day I get to play. I do love to perform, but I'm not in any kind of band. But for that hour a day, I'm in my own world - all the bad stuff that happened at work all melts away. I just love learning and playing - whether its for my wife, my dog, my cats, or myself. I know I'm never going to be amazing and I'm ok with that.

that's Yoyoka! she entered a recent "Hit like a Girl" drum contest with that Zep video i believe. she's 8 now and teaches freaking drum lessons on her channel :D

of course it's amazing to see someone that young play the drums. but her musicality and understanding of what's actually going on is phenomenal. she plays super solid and clearly is having tons of fun. she understands where the 1 and beat is, and her subdivisions are really solid.

here's one of her "cutest" performances:

and here's one of my favorites:

I started playing guitar when I was 18. It was 1987 when I picked up my first guitar. I wonder what would have happened if I had started earlier. Would a couple of extra years have made me a better guitar player? Considering that I hate to practice, and there weren't any professional guitar schools I doubt that a few extra years would have turned me into a shredding monster. I would probably have become a different guitar, as U2 was a big influence in my formative years. Maybe another band or guitar player would have become my big influence if I had started earlier. But overall in the grand scheme of things I don't think if I had started at age 12 I would have become a better guitar player that I couldn't become in my past 31 years.

I do wish that I had taken up sports at age 18 instead of last year. I can now run rings around my younger lazy self. I ran my first running match this summer. And I LOATHED running with a fiery passion as a kid. I can only imagine what my fitness and physique would now be if I had taken up sports as a teen.

I wish the internet was available when I was younger. Pretty sure I would be a better player than I am

Yes and no probably. There's a LOT of information to be had online, that's for sure. Which is good. I wish I had that resource as a beginning guitar player. On the other hand, back in 1987 you learned to be more independent. There were no websites with easy tabs to be had, there were no websites at all. You had to learn songs by ear. Whereas nowadays if some young guitar player wants to learn a new song, the first thing he does is do a google search for some tabs. And when he can't find any, the next thing he does is post on a forum if anyone knows any tabs. And if the online tabs are wrong, he'll play it wrong. Us ear trained players on the other hand will immediately hear that its wrong. And while Nirvana is not exactly the most demanding music to play, when I got my Nevermind CD and put it in the CD player, by the time I had played it for the second time I could almost play along with every song.

That was Laugh-Out-Loud Just Great! ..Hafta say, since getting my AX8 I have been smiling a whole heck of a lot more after practice, but she’s having a outright riot!

Good for her. Kids are supposed to be happy. Wishing her all the best.

My thing is that I bought, never learned, and sold my guitar three times in my life before it stuck. Either I couldn't find an instructor, or didn't have time (two jobs plus school), or whatever, but no doubt, I'd be considerably further along if I had kept it together. That's the thing though, you have to want it, and if it was easy, everyone would do it.

There is NOTHING better than seeing someone who is clearly enjoying themselves playing music! I've always railed at bandmates to say 'If you look like you're having fun, the audience will go with you! They WANT to!' 'No shoe gazing!'

I was given a guitar at 8...never played it. I was pushed into Piano lessons at 11...I never practiced...quit.

At 14 I had an urge...I asked for and was given a guitar (gut string.) . I took 1 month of Classical lessons, quit, and started trying out my mothers songbooks that she had lying around (she was a semi-pianist) that had chords. I had no idea how to use it, but figured it out quickly. I bonded with the Blue 'Eagles Greatest Hits' album and book, and spent the next 4 months RELENTLESSLY practicing those chords. My epiphany was doing a fast chord switch successfully in 'Lying Eyes', and I was hooked.

Because we always had a piano in the house growing up, I could play by ear once I parsed out simple triads, minor chords, 7ths, and inversions...but I couldn't read a note to save my life. It occurred to me recently that I love the art of music, and I want to actually know about it. At my age now, I started taking Piano lessons. I sort of have this long term plan to be able to teach music lessons when I retire from my techie existence in 20 years.

To answer the original question: I WISH that my mother had forced me to take those lessons seriously early. Perhaps it's just the prism of hindsight in that I never would have been any good until I had come to the decision myself that I wanted this (yes, I'm an EXTREMELY stubborn guy.) That I may have come to hate music study if forced.

Or the converse would be true, and after reaching a level of proficiency in Guitar or Piano, I would love it and be a much more prominent musician than I am. I'll never know.

These things happen for a reason.

And I've gone off on a rant.

R

I started playing guitar when I was 18. It was 1987 when I picked up my first guitar. I wonder what would have happened if I had started earlier. Would a couple of extra years have made me a better guitar player? Considering that I hate to practice, and there weren't any professional guitar schools I doubt that a few extra years would have turned me into a shredding monster. I would probably have become a different guitar, as U2 was a big influence in my formative years. Maybe another band or guitar player would have become my big influence if I had started earlier. But overall in the grand scheme of things I don't think if I had started at age 12 I would have become a better guitar player that I couldn't become in my past 31 years.

I do wish that I had taken up sports at age 18 instead of last year. I can now run rings around my younger lazy self. I ran my first running match this summer. And I LOATHED running with a fiery passion as a kid. I can only imagine what my fitness and physique would now be if I had taken up sports as a teen.

Yes and no probably. There's a LOT of information to be had online, that's for sure. Which is good. I wish I had that resource as a beginning guitar player. On the other hand, back in 1987 you learned to be more independent. There were no websites with easy tabs to be had, there were no websites at all. You had to learn songs by ear. Whereas nowadays if some young guitar player wants to learn a new song, the first thing he does is do a google search for some tabs. And when he can't find any, the next thing he does is post on a forum if anyone knows any tabs. And if the online tabs are wrong, he'll play it wrong. Us ear trained players on the other hand will immediately hear that its wrong. And while Nirvana is not exactly the most demanding music to play, when I got my Nevermind CD and put it in the CD player, by the time I had played it for the second time I could almost play along with every song.

I started playing in 1987, too. I had so many questions back then that I couldn't get answered. I would have progressed much faster if I'd had access to the avalanche of information that's on the Internet today.

In a way I'm glad there was no internet when I grew up. Today there are a million vids showing me how much I suck at my beloved passion. Don't know what damage that would have done to me when I was a kid ...

Back
Top Bottom