Wish: Hold down to toggle X/Y state

Johan Allard

Power User
Hi guys,

Just watched another one of Pete Thorns demos, this time on the Suhr Rufus Fuzz (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5JmSzr5Bo). Sounded awesome obviously. One thing that I really liked though, and I think I’ve posted about this in the past here as well, is that on the Rufus it’s possible to toggle between a red and green state by holding down the on/off button. I think this would be a great addition to the MFC as well. Holding down say a Delay or Drive IA to switch between the X and Y state. The Y state could be stated by blinking the green led similar to how the Reveal button is today so we would have Red=off, Green=on in X state, Blinking Green=on in Y state.

Would anyone else like to see this as well?

Cheers

Johan

Hi all

Recently got an MFC and an some initial musing I landed on the question above which I realise after some searching on the forum has been asked many times.

I think Yek mentioned in his 'power of a single preset' video that this is possible on his Mastermind foot controller.

As a novice on the MFC, please could someone confirm whether toggling X/Y on an effect IA was ever sorted on the MFC or it it best achieved through scenes?

Thanks Gilesy

Hi all

Recently got an MFC and an some initial musing I landed on the question above which I realise after some searching on the forum has been asked many times.

I think Yek mentioned in his 'power of a single preset' video that this is possible on his Mastermind foot controller.

As a novice on the MFC, please could someone confirm whether toggling X/Y on an effect IA was ever sorted on the MFC or it it best achieved through scenes?

Thanks Gilesy

You have to use scenes. All indications point to it being impossible on the MFC. I don't believe I've seen anything official from Fractal but if people have been asking for it for years and it hasn't happened, it would be reasonable to conclude that it never will.
-
Austin

You have to use scenes. All indications point to it being impossible on the MFC. I don't believe I've seen anything official from Fractal but if people have been asking for it for years and it hasn't happened, it would be reasonable to conclude that it never will.
-
Austin
cheers Austin.....I think your conclusion re it not appearing in the MFC seems reasonable. The scenes suggestion makes sense to me too so that is what I will start t explore.

thanks for coming back to me - appreciate your input.

Gilesy

Challenge is: how to indicate the state visually?
Blinking is too confusing I think.
Probably by adding 'X' / 'Y' to the title display when pressing/holding.

Turn on both green and red LEDs simultaneously? Depending on wavelength and intensity, should yield a yellow/amber option.

Turn on both green and red LEDs simultaneously? Depending on wavelength and intensity, should yield a yellow/amber option.

I know there are tri-state/color LEDs that do R, A, G just not sure how it's done (e.g. mix red and green?); I understand wavelengths are generated for each (distance=frequency) so I would "assume" you could get amber by mixing ... just not sure that's how it's really done, but I"m all for it!

ON X = LED Green
ON Y = LED Red
OFF = LED Off

Not that it's ever going to happen anyway, but this wouldn't work because you need to know the off state of the block, not just whether it's on or off. So you need an OFF X and an OFF Y.
-
Austin

#3 on the list:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-wishes-bugs/75408-mfc-wishlist.html

Challenge is: how to indicate the state visually?
Blinking is too confusing I think.
Probably by adding 'X' / 'Y' to the title display when pressing/holding.
I think we need an MFC-102 with an X/Y state LED over each switch.

I played the "A rig" live last night for the first time in two months and whoa baby did I miss being able to toggle the X/Y state on blocks like I can in the AX8! Crazy how quickly I've fallen in love with doing that on the AX8. It really makes the diminutive AX8 incredibly flexible when you're playing live.

I think we need an MFC-102 with an X/Y state LED over each switch.

I played the "A rig" live last night for the first time in two months and whoa baby did I miss being able to toggle the X/Y state on blocks like I can in the AX8! Crazy how quickly I've fallen in love with doing that on the AX8. It really makes the diminutive AX8 incredibly flexible when you're playing live.
+1

I can't imagine that an updated MFC isn't at least on the back burner.

There are many other excellent options though.

I can't imagine that an updated MFC isn't at least on the back burner.

There are many other excellent options though.

The only reasonable options I can think of are the RJM Mastermind GT stuff (specifically 16 and 22 button configs). Unless you want to play russian roulette with the Liquidfoot stuff. So basically 2 other options that at least 3 times as much as the MFC101. Seems like there's considerable room in there for Fractal to come out with an updated MFC with several no-brainer upgrades (things that have been mentioned on this subforum for more than a year). If I was a betting man, I would bet that there isn't going to be any new MFC until the Axe FX 3.
-
Austin

That's what I was going to suggest.
When you fire up the MFC it lights all the LEDs really fast showing a yellowish/orange-ish colour (looks orange to me) and then it starts to sequence through each LED checking the red/green state.

That would solve the problem about showing what state you're in.

No block present = LED off.
Block present but disengaged = Red LED.
Block engaged in X state = Green LED.
Block engaged in Y state = Orange LED (both red and green on).

That's what I was going to suggest.
When you fire up the MFC it lights all the LEDs really fast showing a yellowish/orange-ish colour (looks orange to me) and then it starts to sequence through each LED checking the red/green state.

That would solve the problem about showing what state you're in.

Block present but disengaged = Red LED.

Yes, but again, you need to know what stage the block is in when it isn't engaged. So for your red LED, how do I know if the block in question is in the X state or the Y state. I think blinking LED's would be easier (although perhaps visually annoying). solid for X and blinking for Y. So, blinking red is off in Y state and blinking Green is on in Y state. Use the orange for something else (for example, use them for althernate preset).
-
Austin

Yes, but again, you need to know what stage the block is in when it isn't engaged. So for your red LED, how do I know if the block in question is in the X state or the Y state.

Blinking red for Y disengaged.

Block X state, present but disengaged = Red LED.
Block Y state, present but disengaged = blinking Red LED.

If the LED controller can handle in-between states, you could also maybe use a dim state for things as well.

LEDs off = no block present
Green bright = X engaged
Green dim = X bypassed
Red bright = Y engaged
Red dim = Y bypassed

Dim state might be hard to see in certain lighting conditions though like bright sunlight.

Slowly pulse the LED's maybe like a sine or triangle wave. That would contrast to a regular hard on off blink.

I like the idea of dimming, but this is not possible in the hardware.

I like the idea of dimming, but this is not possible in the hardware.
I know you didn't say that but are you possibly implying that the Hold-down to change XY state is possible?
My vote would be a slow blink for Y state. Slow blink red for Y bypassed and slow blink green for Y active.

Back
Top Bottom