Wish: Fractal bot opens to the Recieve Mode by default

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Fractal bot currently opens to the Send Mode by default.

Might be a useful improvement to default to Recieve, to subtly push the whole "back up yer stuff before loading updates" idea. I think it has the potential to save a lot of people from a minor disaster by subtly reminding them to back up important data....

^THIS^

And, while we're at it, I think the backup process needs a bit of rework.

Currently we have to select Receive Mode > Begin and scan and confirm the options, then click OK to start the actual backup.

Instead, I think the options on the Begin page should be sub-dialog that allows selecting what is backed up, with an option to Save As Default, with Cancel and OK doing their normal cancel and accept actions that return to the Receive Mode page, not continue on. If the user selected OK the settings would be temporary for that session only.

Begin would actually start a backup based on the default settings. When Fractal-Bot is first initialized at install, or the prefs file (re)created, it should default to the "Select All" state.

Combined with the above wish this would result in a simplified single-click immediate backup that honors the defaults, which, unless the user deliberately changes them, would result in a full backup.

PS - there's also the existence of the apparently non-functional "Back up the <insert device here>" checkbox at the top of the Begin dialog. It looks like it's clickable to maybe act as a "save the defaults" but it's "foolsies".

@Joe Bfstplk @Michael Pickens

I have worked in Web Applications Programming for 20+ years. One of my skills is cat-herding. ;)

And, while we're at it, I think the backup process needs a bit of rework.

Currently we have to select Receive Mode > Begin and scan and confirm the options, then click OK to start the actual backup.

Instead, I think the options on the Begin page should be sub-dialog that allows selecting what is backed up, with an option to Save As Default, with Cancel and OK doing their normal cancel and accept actions that return to the Receive Mode page, not continue on. If the user selected OK the settings would be temporary for that session only.

Begin would actually start a backup based on the default settings. When Fractal-Bot is first initialized at install, or the prefs file (re)created, it should default to the "Select All" state.

Combined with the above wish this would result in a simplified single-click immediate backup that honors the defaults, which, unless the user deliberately changes them, would result in a full backup.

PS - there's also the existence of the apparently non-functional "Back up the <insert device here>" checkbox at the top of the Begin dialog. It looks like it's clickable to maybe act as a "save the defaults" but it's "foolsies".

@Joe Bfstplk @Michael Pickens
Good ideas all....

Back
Top Bottom