Wish: FC2

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
My FASlink jack goes unused on my FM9. I tried an FC6 with it but that was a bigger footprint than I wanted and was kinda overkill anyway.

I find myself wishing Fractal made a super small two-button FC2 with color rings. I'd absolutely jump on one. It doesn't even need screens imo. I'm thinking around the size of a Midi baby 3 or so--4.5" x 3.5"ish.

My FASlink jack goes unused on my FM9. I tried an FC6 with it but that was a bigger footprint than I wanted and was kinda overkill anyway.

I find myself wishing Fractal made a super small two-button FC2 with color rings. I'd absolutely jump on one. It doesn't even need screens imo. I'm thinking around the size of a Midi baby 3 or so--4.5" x 3.5"ish.
@Deadpool_25,

Doesn't OCD (Otter Custom Design) make a 2-button footswitch that can serve as a stand-in switch? Wouldn't that fit the bill? Maybe not with color rings, but would require use of PDL Jacks 2 & 3.

You might connect with OCD and suggest this to their R&D department, using FAS-Link XLR instead of dual ¼" TS...

If it weren't for my existing external 2 stand-in switches already, I'd be all over that...

@Deadpool_25,

Doesn't OCD (Otter Custom Design) make a 2-button footswitch that can serve as a stand-in switch? Wouldn't that fit the bill? Maybe not with color rings, but would require use of PDL Jacks 2 & 3.

You might connect with OCD and suggest this to their R&D department, using FAS-Link XLR instead of dual ¼" TS...

If it weren't for my existing external 2 stand-in switches already, I'd be all over that...
He wants something that uses the FASLink jack just like the other FCs...

Yep, a FC2/3/4 with color ring and no screen: additional switch with same ability as FC but no screen.

Because Fractal uses shared switch assemblies, a 3-button system with the mini-displays would be the most likely, something the width of the FM3 but a single row of switches high.

But, because it’d be the only unit using that case I doubt it’d happen.

"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation." [14]

Yep, a FC2/3/4 with color ring and no screen: additional switch with same ability as FC but no screen.
Yeah. I wouldn't hate it having screens but no screens would kinda open up vertical orientation as well as horizontal (portrait/landscape).

Because Fractal uses shared switch assemblies, a 3-button system with the mini-displays would be the most likely, something the width of the FM3 but a single row of switches high.

But, because it’d be the only unit using that case I doubt it’d happen.
Honestly I doubt it'd happen as well. But man it would be cool. Don't be a dream crusher Greg! 😂

Honestly I doubt it'd happen as well. But man it would be cool. Don't be a dream crusher Greg!
That wasn’t my intention. Injecting reality isn’t a bad thing, it helps set expectations and direct goals.

I haven’t opened my FM3 or FC6 to see how the boards and mini-displays are installed and how much room is actually needed for the three switches on their board, which would say how big the resulting 3-switch unit would be and whether it’s even practical once the FASLink circuitry and connectors were added.

Such a unit would not fit into Fractal’s “parts-bin” goals because the cases would not be reusable on other products, and that would force its price up to make it worth their time and effort. And it wouldn’t have the appeal that the existing FC units have, so the pricing would need to go up again to justify its existence.

I expect that Fractal already did all that because they’re smart and they want to make the best modeler on the planet.

Possibly the MC6 is a better solution? It’s flexible and small, is well supported, and works, it’s just not as easy to integrate it as a FC.

Looks like there are two rows of 3 switches, each with a ribbon cable connected to a main board with jacks and then the bigger lcd has its own ribbon as well, so fairly modular parts I’m guess if they wanted to do something like a fc3 with one row and maybe no lcd, but it would require a different housing and that could be a significant cost to tool up

Yeah. I wouldn't hate it having screens but no screens would kinda open up vertical orientation as well as horizontal (portrait/landscape).
I could visualize a flat-topped FC3 with a FASLINK II jack on one end working nicely in front of an FC6/FM3 or lined up along the end of an FC12/FM9....

Or have a mode so the characters in the display could be rotated clockwise or counter-clockwise so they'd work vertically.

… but that would probably require a different character generator, making it even more specialized and costly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom