Wish: Effect X ON and Effect Y ON

Johan Allard

Power User
I’ve been playing around with X/Y blocks recently. One thing that’s slightly annoying when setting one button on the MFC to be say Delay X/Y is that it doesn’t engage the delay. So this then becomes a two press function of selecting X/Y and then Delay 1 to engage the delay.

I would like to have Delay 1 X ON and Delay 1 Y ON, selectable as functions in the MFC (along with Delay 1 and Delay 1 X/Y). These two buttons would cancel each others out obviously but it would then be possible to engage both states of the effect with just the press of one button. So:

• Pressing either Delay 1 X ON or Delay 1 Y ON would engage Delay 1 in X or Y state respectively.
  • Pressing Delay 1 X ON when Delay 1 is engaged in Y state would switch from Y to X but keep Delay 1 engaged (like the Delay 1 X/Y button now).
  • Pressing Delay 1 X ON with Delay 1 is engaged in X state would disengage Delay 1.

What do you think? Anyone else using X/Y states that think that this would be a useful addition?

If Delay 1 is engaged in X state, pressing Delay 1 X ON would turn off (disengage) Delay 1.
If Delay 1 is engaged in Y state, pressing Delay 1 Y ON would turn off Delay 1.

What if we kept the current available buttons, delay off/on and delay x/y.

However (assuming delay is on X) what if pressing the XY button selected Y and engaged the delay? Or if it happened to be on Y and bypassed, pressing XY would switch to x and engage.

I guess you'd have to know what state it's currently in though to use that effectively. So knowing X is queued, hit Off/on for X or XY for Y and vice versa.

I think your idea is clearer, but not sure Fractal could add 2 more control options for every block type, X on/off, Y on/off.

I'd be ok with an XY button also engaging the block (maybe it'd always have to Engage, never bypass) similar to that auto delay thing where if you tap a tempo it engages the delay block.

Yes, I agree that my idea is clearer from a usage perspective, and your idea is easier from an implementation perspective. Your idea could be implemented (to not upset any current users) with one global control “X/Y selection enables block”. I’d be happy with that implementation as well. At the end of the day, the primary goal is to be able to enable both variants of the X/Y block with a single click.

So with your idea it would be: From a disabled state - to engage the currently selected X/Y state, press the Delay 1 button (or whatever other block). To engage the opposite X/Y state press the Delay 1 X/Y button. Yeah, that would work for me.

Congratulations on passing 7000 posts in forum Chris (you’re on exactly 7000 as I write this, but will probably be on 7002 when I hit save :) )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom