Wish Bank Size Per Layout

dscribellito

Inspired
Currently, the bank size (as configured in the FC Controllers Config menu) applies to all layouts. It would be a lot more flexible if this could be configurable per layout - or possibly even automatically determined per layout based on the number of preset in bank switches configured in the layout.

As an example, the default FC-12 factory configuration has a configured bank size of 10 and has two layouts with bank inc/dec switches and a different number of preset in bank switches in each layout.
  • In Layout 1 (Presets), there are 10 preset in bank switches with a bank +1 switch and bank -1 switch. The bank switching in this layout works as "expected" given the configured bank size of 10.
  • In Layout 7 (Perform 1), there are 4 preset in bank switches with a bank +1 switch and a bank -1 switch. However, given the configured bank size of 10, the behavior of these bank switches isn't really correct in that only the first four presets of any bank are actually accessible by the preset in bank switches. However, if this layout could be configured to a bank size of 4, then the bank switching would work as "expected".
One thing to consider: if the FC switches between layouts with different bank sizes, I would think those layouts would have to re-orient themselves based on the current bank size and the current preset in bank.

I'm just using the default factory config as an example. However, at least in my workflow I expect to have something similar to both Layout 1 and Layout 7 for different use cases.

It is almost possible to workaround this using preset inc/dec instead of bank inc/dec. However, bank inc/dec has the ability to not load any preset until one is selected whereas preset inc/dec does not.

Thanks,
Dave

Oh. Interesting. You could have a layout that's like Bank Size 4 with presets on the top row and bank up/down and then IAs on the bottom row. And then a layout that's Bank Size 10 with bank up/down and every other switch a preset select. That'd be pretty cool, actually.

Oh. Interesting. You could have a layout that's like Bank Size 4 with presets on the top row and bank up/down and then IAs on the bottom row. And then a layout that's Bank Size 10 with bank up/down and every other switch a preset select. That'd be pretty cool, actually.

Exactly, and on the FC-12 that is what factory layouts 7 and 1 do, respectively.

It doesn't seem that a global bank size makes sense on the FC in the way it did on the MFC-101. On the FC, the bank size (as far as I can tell) is really only there to support the preset in bank switch functions (page 26 of the manual, "PRESET: SELECT IN BANK" and "PRESET: TOGGLE IN BANK"). As the number of these types of switch functions assigned can vary by layout, the bank size needs to vary by layout as well to allow the bank functions to be as useful as they can be. This dynamic layout ability is what is great about the FC.

Currently, the bank size (as configured in the FC Controllers Config menu) applies to all layouts. It would be a lot more flexible if this could be configurable per layout - or possibly even automatically determined per layout based on the number of preset in bank switches configured in the layout.

As an example, the default FC-12 factory configuration has a configured bank size of 10 and has two layouts with bank inc/dec switches and a different number of preset in bank switches in each layout.
  • In Layout 1 (Presets), there are 10 preset in bank switches with a bank +1 switch and bank -1 switch. The bank switching in this layout works as "expected" given the configured bank size of 10.
  • In Layout 7 (Perform 1), there are 4 preset in bank switches with a bank +1 switch and a bank -1 switch. However, given the configured bank size of 10, the behavior of these bank switches isn't really correct in that only the first four presets of any bank are actually accessible by the preset in bank switches. However, if this layout could be configured to a bank size of 4, then the bank switching would work as "expected".
One thing to consider: if the FC switches between layouts with different bank sizes, I would think those layouts would have to re-orient themselves based on the current bank size and the current preset in bank.

I'm just using the default factory config as an example. However, at least in my workflow I expect to have something similar to both Layout 1 and Layout 7 for different use cases.

It is almost possible to workaround this using preset inc/dec instead of bank inc/dec. However, bank inc/dec has the ability to not load any preset until one is selected whereas preset inc/dec does not.

Thanks,
Dave

The requested behavior is exactly how it should work. Having a global bank size is needlessly limiting.

Austin

All this talk meant nothing to me really ....till I finally got my FC-12...it sat in the box for a couple weeks ....

It all makes sense now.....

+1 on these requests

ps. FC controllers are incredible!! Powerful!!

Hi all.
My first post two weeks after investing in a FX III Mk2, FC-12.

I'm glad to hear this is on the list of things to fix.

I'm floored by the idea that a Global Bank Size configuration even exists.
I can't imagine that anyone who has actually used the FC-6 or FC-12 for more than just a few presets for a few songs hasn't seen this bug.

Perform 1 layout is nearly useless without changing the Global Bank Size, except it ruins other layouts that you may need for some songs you need to play. So the only option is currently to adjust the Global Bank Size live between sets which basically breaks my FC-12 display until I disconnect and reconnect it. Not good options for anyone, but glad to see it's on the horizon. Hopefully soon.

So I know I'm doing this correctly, I cast my vote for the wish list item by posting to it? Or is there another way?

Back
Top Bottom