Wish: AX8 Midi Block

BradB

Hey all, just registered!

So here's my thing. I play a lot at church and the AX8 really gives me some wonderful flexibility. The goal for me is to to have a stable preset with everything I need in it, and then just make minor tweaks to it as needed for the individual song (e.g., one song needs some wacky tremolo in the bridge, but no other songs have it). It is easiest for me to have the same base patch and have the option to do full scene changes or just simple stomp mode to bring stuff in and out as the need may arise. Also, it is important that the base sound stays pretty consistent throughout the set to avoid stepping in other band member spaces. Anyway, that's the use case.

One tricky thing is getting all the sounds I need without maxing out the DSP. I know there are creative ways to extend DSP (e.g., multidelay for reverb, block placement for spillover, ets), and I've tried many of those out. But that's not what this post is about.

So I decided to try to offload some of that computing so I could put more in the patch. In my case, that was adding my Bigsky and Timeline in the loop. Then what I realized is I could control only ONE pedal via midi. There are also simple PC scene change commands that are helpful...but only for one pedal. And no CC change capability. So, if I want to wash the pedal out just a little more by having longer reverb tails for that scene...can't do it without programming a new patch on the BS and sending a new PC.

What about the Timeline? While I could access my many timeline presets (if it's the only pedal), there is no way to control anything real time (say tying the expression pedal to feedback). There is also no way to sync tap tempo or global tempo (that was surprising to me)

I'm wondering if there has ever been any talk about adding a full functioning MIDI block in the AX8, similar to what's in the Fx III or FM3? I'm thinking PC, CC, global tap tempo, etc. I can't imagine that it would be too resource intensive to implement simple CC/PC control linked to scenes. I imagine there would be few/minimal hardware difficulties What do you get for that?

--Extends the useful lifespan of the AX8 by allowing more functions to be "offloaded" to a midi enabled pedal. (think of putting an H9 in the loop!)
--Much improved capability to play well with others so your time based effects are synced.
--Basically, it opens up the platform in many news ways.

Oh...and I know the AX8 is EOL. BUT, there is not really an all in one replacement coming, so I think the AX8 is still going to have a fairly strong presence on the market for the time being. What do you think?

I did look at that. Nice pedal, but I think it would end up being a makeshift solution and require some trickier programming to have it independently control the AX8 and whatever other pedals you have.

I just think it would be a slam dunk to get a midi block in the AX8. Maybe there's some reason they haven't done it that I'm not tracking.

I'm wondering if there has ever been any talk about adding a full functioning MIDI block in the AX8, similar to what's in the Fx III or FM3? I'm thinking PC, CC, global tap tempo, etc.
The Axe Fx III doesn't send tempo. It can send PC and CC messages.

I wanted this badly for the longest time (I got on the AX8 train early), but eventually realized that it wouldn’t become a reality. Just get yourself a compact MIDI controller (like the MC6 or similar).

Maybe that's the answer. I'm just surprised that wouldn't be a "on the list" of things to put in the AX8. Maybe if Cliff gets around to being able to port over parts of Ares then we could get a midi block as part of it. I can't imagine that the processing power hit would be significant.

Maybe that's the answer. I'm just surprised that wouldn't be a "on the list" of things to put in the AX8. Maybe if Cliff gets around to being able to port over parts of Ares then we could get a midi block as part of it. I can't imagine that the processing power hit would be significant.
Keep in mind that the AX8 is no longer being sold and it's replacement has been launched.

There have been no AX8 updates for quite a while so I wouldn't expect anything... ;)

Although I must say that I am a little bit surprised that philipacamaniac and I are apparently the only people that really think a midi block would be a great EOL "request/gift" for the AX8. Even more to the point...I'm surprised that I couldn't find a thread where a request for a MIDI block in the AX8 ever gained much traction. Midi just is so helpful in general...

I get the observation that Fractal probably isn't interested in throwing any more money into AX8 development. I agree that Fractal may feel that the FM3 is their "next gen" of the AX8, but I'm not super sure that it will be from a user perspective because the form factor is so different. I guess time will tell.

I did look at that. Nice pedal, but I think it would end up being a makeshift solution and require some trickier programming to have it independently control the AX8 and whatever other pedals you have.

I just think it would be a slam dunk to get a midi block in the AX8. Maybe there's some reason they haven't done it that I'm not tracking.
Hi, I have a MC5JR that i'm not using and i'm willing to sell. PM if interested!

Back
Top Bottom