Wish: Ability to change external switch functions per layout

Randall d

Experienced
I would like the option to change the function of my external switches based on the layout I am on. So in essence with my FM3 I would have 5 fully functional switches (except for the LED's and scribble strips of course). Maybe it could be done using switches on the other view? Or maybe some other way that the Fractal team could come up with to do this.

For example: if I was on my Preset Layout I could use my 2 external switches for bank up and bank down, but then in my scenes layout (or any other layout) the external switches would have different functions

Expanded use of the switches per layout would be awesome !!! This would add so much more usability.

The ability to define the external switch function per layout would be extremely useful.

You can't do per-layout, but you can use them as stand-ins which allow per-preset assignments.

You can't do per-layout, but you can use them as stand-ins which allow per-preset assignments.

But that doesn't allow me to use them for bank up and bank down when I am in my preset layout. I know you can't do it now, but is it possible this feature could be added? It seems like it would "just" be a program thing (and also a change in the Edit program). I would also like to see this for the AxeIII platform.

Yes, and that’s what I’m doing.

I’ll second the wish to allow assigning the stand-in switches per layout. I’d like to do exactly what the OP is asking, assign them to switches defined for Bank+/- when I’m on my Presets page, and reassign them to switches defined for View+/- when I’m on other pages. I’m sure I’d find other uses for this as well.

But that doesn't allow me to use them for bank up and bank down when I am in my preset layout. I know you can't do it now, but is it possible this feature could be added? It seems like it would "just" be a program thing (and also a change in the Edit program). I would also like to see this for the AxeIII platform.

Yes, and that’s what I’m doing.

I’ll second the wish to allow assigning the stand-in switches per layout. I’d like to do exactly what the OP is asking, assign them to switches defined for Bank+/- when I’m on my Presets page, and reassign them to switches defined for View+/- when I’m on other pages. I’m sure I’d find other uses for this as well.

Just curious - the current Preset layout has only has one 3 switch view, showing the 3 patches in the current bank, with Bank Up and Down as the hold function for the 1st and 3rd switches. Mostly all the other layouts have the view inc / dec as the hold functions on the 1st and 3rd switches of each view. Are both of you saying that you want to put those functions on the external buttons and then replace the internal outer switch's hold / view inc / decr functions with something else? I know the question is more generic and i agree having the external switches change functions by layout would be cool, but just asking about those specific instances.

In my case, I do not like using hold functions to change banks or views.

I do use hold functions for other purposes, but holding is a very slow and cumbersome way to change banks or views.

On my Effects page, I have changed the hold function on all 12 switches to be a toggle between Channel A and B for that particular effect. On my Presets page, the Hold function for switches 1 and 3 is still Bank+/-. I’m not using any hold functions on my Scenes page.

But if the Bank Up or Bank Down are on a hold function, it could take a long time to move a few banks away. When you are playing to an audience and need to entertain them, or go right into the next song, there isn't time to wait for the hold functions. That is why I would want the external switches (or the stand-in switches) to be layout dependent so that in my preset layout I could quickly navigate through the banks (especially since the 3 buttons only allow me access to a few presets per bank).

it's best to organize the presets you use close together so you don't have to jump around so far using banks. with only 3 switches/presets at a time, that can be a chore.

i personally like that the externals don't change per Layout. i suppose if they did, i could program the same in each Layout, but that's more work.

the fact that they made external switches Stand-Ins leads me to believe that it may not be possible to have externals become part of Layouts and change like on-board switches do. i think the best solution for more switches is to get a low cost midi controller like the Morningstar products, or something similar. of course an FC would do the job too.

@chris , none of us know the underlying code. It could be a simple if/then case. If layout =X, then external switch 1 = layout X switch Y. Or something like that. Of course it can be done, it’s just code, but it’s a matter of how much work it would take and whether the current architecture will allow such a change without major modification. FAS would also have to decide whether this is a function that a lot of users would take advantage of, or just a few. I’ll let the the FAS engineers make that determination rather than assume the can’t be done.

Who says you would have to program the external switches per layout? It would make sense to program it such that they never change unless the user configures it to change for a specific layout. At least that is how I would spec it if I were instructing the programmers.

And the whole idea behind this request is to NOT use a separate MIDI controller or the FC6 (which I own). The idea is to get as much functionality as possible from the minimal setup without the added bulk and size of an external controller or the FC6.

The Morningstar controller requires power. Now if FAS would have made that second USB port carry power and midi over USB...

As far as organizing presets, I regularly shuffle presets around on a weekly basis. Why FAS has ignored requests for a Setlist mode is a mystery. Seems like a glaring omission in their otherwise incredible products.

Last edited:
As nice as I think this would be, there are other things that I think most users would agree are a higher priority. The performance pages are definitely an item that I know a lot of users want to see implemented.

Back
Top Bottom