Wiring pickup straight to the output jack

Megadebt

Experienced
Long story short - I'm wiring a Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge Pickup straight to the jack (on a Jackson Pro V). Anybody ever done this? How did it turn out?

Just curious. I'm soon to find out for myself. I'll use an EV-1 for a volume pedal.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, DON'T! The pickup needs to be loaded down by a pot, or else it will melt from the added heat of the power it's generating!

Or, you will get a bit more highs due to the resonant peak not being loaded down, which also will be perceived as more output. I forget which one it is.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, DON'T! The pickup needs to be loaded down by a pot, or else it will melt from added heat of the power it's generating!

Or, you will get a bit more highs due to the resonant peak not being loaded down, which also will be perceived as more output. I forget which one it is.
I had an old Gibson Firebird once with a melted Super Distortion in it. I think they potted it and heated it up too much. It sounded great until it didn't....

Haha...yeah I did it once with an DiMarzio evo. My soldering gun broke and I just wanted to play it. I actually cut and stripped the end of a guitar cord and just twisted the wires direct... including the claw ground of course. Played it for at least a week like that. Lol

Warning ⚠️.. it may sound like this

My '93 Larkin has a switch that bypasses the selector switch and volume pot and connects the bridge pickup straight to the output.
No problem.

Haha...yeah I did it once with an DiMarzio evo. My soldering gun broke and I just wanted to play it. I actually cut and stripped the end of a guitar cord and just twisted the wires direct... including the claw ground of course. Played it for at least a week like that. Lol

Warning ⚠️.. it may sound like this

If running straight from the pickup to the output jack can make it sound lika a sax or harmonica, then sign me up!

I believe I read about something similar called the zero load wiring where a switch or pull pot takes it out of the circuit. Should be brighter and more output if I remember correctly. The pickup won’t melt but nearby faces could definitely melt depending on the riff you play.

A 250k or 500k 1/4 watt resistor to ground. you can add a switch to select to roll of extra highs when you want to . Or roll your volume and tone control full up and put a switch to lift their grounds same effect as wiring your pickup direct.

One of my guitars used to have a 3-way: Normal, volume dimed, and straight out, volume and tone controls disconnected. I've since removed the switch, normal full time now.

Back-to-the-Future-Doc-Brown.jpg

Nothing will happen at all....nothing will melt....you'll not sound awful. You'll just have no tone control and no volume control and that's all about it.

Got two guitars made from spare parts, both with a single P90 wired direct. Got the idea from Mark Farner who has his Parker Fly's wired direct.

The main thing is it will be a bit louder and brighter. Search a blower switch on Youtube and you will find a demo of the difference in sound.

Back
Top Bottom