Wireless suggestions for FX3?

Pretty sure it‘s just an impedance setting (IE - resistance to ground on the input) not an impedance changer. IE - the impedance is going to be overridden by the impedance of the wireless transmitter. So if your wireless transmitter has a 1M impedance, that’s what your pickups will see, not the setting in the AxeFX. In theory, you could hard-wire a different impedance on your wireless transmitter by adding a resistor from hot to ground on the cable coming from your guitar, or using a Radial Dragster (same deal).

-Aaron

So it as much is a thing of loading the pickups as it is having a correct impedance in front of the fuzz ?
I think with a real fuzz it would still need to be in front of any buffers since it interacts with the output impedance of those devices. Not sure about the Fractal ones. Guessing it doesn’t really work the same way when modeled, and that just altering the input impedance pre-wireless would be similar. I’ve heard of some crazy circuitry that mimic’s a pickup, though. AMZ had something… Pickup simulator or something like that. A lot of guys just have the fuzz mounted in the guitar or on their strap for that reason.

-Aaron

I am still tempted to have a try, maybe I'll order some wireless from Amazon and just send it back if it is too far off.

Shure GLDX4. Love it. No EDIT: 'noticeable' latency even in combination with iem (analogue, Shure pcm300) through xair18 digital mixer which ads latency on top of the wireless and AF3 mk1 together. No crosstalk with mobiles or gldx of bass player.

Have used Line 6 G30 for years with occasional dropouts...because 2.4 GHz band is getting crowded I've been looking, and trying lots of different wireless units...none seemed better than my G30...until I tried the NUX C-5RC...its a rechargeable dongle type that uses 5.8 GHz band.
Seems to work great and the case has a rechargeable battery which is quite handy.

I use the Line 6 Relay G75. 1.5ms latency. When I was looking at wireless a couple years ago, it's the lowest latency I could find in any digital wireless. I've not experienced any issues with dropouts, but I also frequently use the frequency scan feature to see what the optimal frequency band is. Also, rechargeable batteries will deliver more consistent voltage across their charge levels, whereas the voltage output of traditional batteries decreases as their charge level decreases. I feel like I get better wireless reliability with rechargeable batteries, but that's an anecdotal perception.

Last edited:
@strabes Yea, that patch bay is made from the Shure rack mount brackets that came with the wireless unit.
I wanted to try and keep everything neat, clean and simple. I measures the room I would have to work with and cut out all the holes by hand.
I chose to have a USB, OUT1 L, OUT2 L&R, FASLink and power all mounted to the bracket front.
So when I show up all I have to do is take off 1 cover, make my connections and play! :)

A 2.4Ghz wireless (essentially it's a router) like Line6, Shure GLXD etc. can sound great (they are converting the signal to digital, and they are fast and cheap), and probably will work fine in most smaller venues. But if you end up with a bigger crowd, all having their smartphones with WiFi turned on, you are likely to get in trouble.

To be safe (and still digital, which usually is superior to analogue wireless), Shure QLXD is an excellent payable choice, though still somewhat more expensive. It works like a traditional wireless, with switchable radiofrequencies.

Also, please always consider using a Radial Dragster before your wireless, if you like the way your passive pickups interacts (loads) with your all tube amp, when using a cable. 😉

I used the GLDX for many years, but I found that interference was becoming more and more of a problem. Especially for shows near busy areas of town with a lot of wireless frequencies competing for the same space. I'm currently using the Sennheiser EW300 with 3 transmitter packs for each guitar. There's a nice application with the Sennheiser systems that allow you scan the area and find the best frequency range for a given venue. That does the trick 99% of the time. However, I always keep a long guitar cable at the ready just in case.

Hmm, in fact I just now noticed Shure and Sennheiser have both introduced new models, with very similar features to the QLXD, but almost half the price: Shure SLXD and Sennheiser EW D.

G90 for several years. Like it a lot.

The 2.4GHz thing is a concern. I'd go 5GHz if I was buying now. An easy solution is to just have your patrons drop off their phones in a large bucket of water.

I use Line 6 G90 (rack mount) with my Axe FX3 and the Line 6 G50 for my AX8. I have another G50 unit ready for my FM9 when I finally get one. I have 4 transmitters between the rigs, all on the same channel (I don't use the rigs at the same time). I get the Shure right angle 1/4-inch cables for the transmitters.

I like being able to have all 3 of my guitars at a gig have transmitters in their pouch, ready to go. When switching guitars, I just have to turn off the transmitter as I put the guitar on the rack and turn on the transmitter on the guitar I'm picking up. Makes for quick switches, which happens if you break a string on a Floyd Rose guitar (can't just play with 5 strings on those guys).

I also play wireless 99% of the time, even at home. I won't perform live with a cable if I can help it (I've had some bad experiences with tripping) and using the same wireless at home as I do while performing reduces the chance that my tone is different between dialing it in and performing. I have rechargeable AA batteries that I use to keep cost/waste down.

Overall, I am very happy with the performance of the G50/G90. There have been a couple stages that I had issues with it, though. If I didn't have the units anymore and was starting over, I might look into what else is in the market since the Line 6 stuff has been out there forever.

I used the GLDX for many years, but I found that interference was becoming more and more of a problem. Especially for shows near busy areas of town with a lot of wireless frequencies competing for the same space. I'm currently using the Sennheiser EW300 with 3 transmitter packs for each guitar. There's a nice application with the Sennheiser systems that allow you scan the area and find the best frequency range for a given venue. That does the trick 99% of the time. However, I always keep a long guitar cable at the ready just in case.
How many Sennheisers are going on at the same time? The app is super cool that the Soundguy can control everyones wireless levels, mutes, channels etc.

Shure BLX14. :)

All digital wireless system add latency.
Those Xvive system add up to 7 ms !!!
No player wants to add 7 ms latency to his signal without reason.

I find that with all-digital systems, a precise plan is needed to avoid unnecessary latency.
You quickly reach 12 - 15 ms and you can feel it.

Back
Top Bottom