Wireless suggestions for FX3?

GLXD is by far the best unit I’ve used under $500. I’ve also used QLXD and Axient and both are excellent but overkill for your average 1500 cap room or pub gig. Would not rely on plastic dongles, the plastic Line 6 stuff, or anything without a metal transmitter, removable battery, and replaceable cable.

Last edited:
Been using Xvive U2 units I got from Guitar Center for cheap. They work well. Higher noise floor than using a cable but still less noisy than a real amp, I'd imagine.
I’ve used the same pair of Xvive U2 I got in 2016 without any issues and have played gigs in many venues. It’s a fantastic budget wireless option. I’d consider getting a new budget friendly option just because the tech has probably advanced a bit, and then keep the xvive as backup

Thanks for all the replies (can't use feedback, lol). My big concerns are noise floor and latency. What about single coil pickups like Strats. These are notoriously noisy and I can't help thinking that a floating system (i.e. the guitar and transmitter with no ground reference) might be more prone to noise pickup.

Been using a line 6 G50 for years. It’s beaten to shit. All the transmitters hit the floor a dozen times. Still works fine. There’s ONE ROOM I have a problem in if I stand at a particular spot but other than that I can run around just fine.

NUX B-5RC Guitar Wireless System - luv them and AXE sounds better than traditional cable

Also has this unique option:

Cabletone function simulates the capacitor effect of a 6.4m (21 feet) cable (You have 2 options to pick from - normal and this capacitor option)

And they fit into Ibanez guitars - small cable access area in body - line 6 will not

https://www.zzounds.com/item--NUXB5RC

Reactions: RLD
NUX B-5RC Guitar Wireless System - luv them and AXE sounds better than traditional cable

Also has this unique option:

Cabletone function simulates the capacitor effect of a 6.4m (21 feet) cable (You have 2 options to pick from - normal and this capacitor option)

And they fit into Ibanez guitars - small cable access area in body - line 6 will not

https://www.zzounds.com/item--NUXB5RC
Heard great things about the Nux. Those would probably be what I buy next

I have used the GLXD 16. I didn’t like the latency and it’s flakiness when near wireless routers / cell phones. There a GROUP 4 you can use when you’re the only one using their system and you run into issues, but it doubles the latency and there’s only one channel. Anyone want to buy mine? LOL. The latency wouldn’t be a big deal, but with the other digital gear in the chain the added 4-7ms often put things over the annoyance threshold for me.

I’m now using a Sennheiser EW 500 G4 series beltpack transmitter and portable receiver (SK500 and EK500). It’s analog, so less than 1ms latency, and it operates in the old TV band so no issues with WI-FI at all. There are also a TON of selectable frequencies, and up to 300’ range. I actually think it sounds a bit better than the GLXD, though really there’s not a ton of difference sonically. The portable receiver is pretty cool as well as it’s essentially the same housing style as the transmitter. Tiny and really easy to clip to a pedalboard. You can also mix and match all the different receivers and transmitters in the G4 line as well, so they can be repurposed for other things (like IEMS, remote speakers, mics, etc…).

-Aaron

In the past I used a Line 6 G30 and now use a G90. Both worked flawlessly in a live setting. Regarding single coil noise, I primarily use P-90 style and Strat single coil pickups, and the only time noise is a problem is when I'm sitting too close to my computer monitor. (And that's always with a cable, not wireless.)

Not to hijack OP's thread by any mean but I am in the same boat, looking for a wireless system
Before I buy any of them I have one question I still have not found a definitive answer to : does having an adjustable input impedance on the AFX3 input 1 make using fuzz blocks work as if using a cable when you set that input impedance low ?
I mean do you then fuzz cleanup at lower guitar volume like you'd get wired ?

Any wireless user insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

I have been using Line6 G50 for Live use since 2014. Never an issue. I bought the G10 for home use because I didn't like how the cable would bend when I sat down. Plus quicker to swap out guitars. However, the G10 has a lot of 2.4Ghz interference at my house (Townhome) that the G50 doesn't have, because I can set the G50 to the RF2 frequency setting.

Wireless will act like a buffer. You won't have that effect.
That is what I am not really sure about.
Correct me if I am wrong but the "buffer effect" you get in real life with wireless in front of fuzzes is mostly a result of high impedance out of the wireless into the fuzz which expects lower impedance direct from the pickup.
With the AFX3 you can set the input impedance to be low even if it is actually after your wireless.
And that is what you want, that is not the same as in real wireless + vintage fuzz situation.
I would love to have someone actually using a wireless in front of the AFX3 and using the AFX3 fuzz check that out.

Back
Top Bottom