Wireless - Shure GLXD16 or Line 6 G70 ???

Dealmaker

Inspired
Need to sort out a wireless for my AX8.

I have just got rid of my Line 6 G90 and Line 6 G50 units (one was used in the rack of my Fractal FXII and one was on my analogue pedal board) - both systems performed well - albeit they did seem a little cheap in places - and for comforts/confidence sake I always put a new pair of AA batteries in each time I used them.

I liked the tone of the G50 - it really seemed to bring the top end of my rig alive when used instead of a cable.

I've revamped my whole rig and am now using an AX8 for gigs - and want a wireless on the pedalboard with it. So I am considering the G70 or the Shure GLXD16. I have the Shure PSM300 IEM's and I really like the build quality of Shure stuff.

So I guess the question is - which is the better, more advanced system? I've heard uncorroborated reports that the Shure is very much akin to the old Line 6 G50 in terms of digital performance....whereas the Line 6 G70 is reportedly a new generation of Digital hardware which offers a better quality signal with less compression, and lower latency etc? Is this true?

One thing that slightly puts me off the G70 is that the receiver reportedly needs between 350-500 mAh - and so driving it from a Voodoo Labs PP2+ means using a current doubler - whereas the Shure will run just off one of the standard 250 mAh connections.....I also like the re-chargeable battery in the Shure.

No right or wrong answer I guess - leaning towards the Shure due to the build quality ...but wondering about the sound quality of the G70 and whether its superior?....

I think it's a coin toss. I chose the Shure. The g70 has more features, the Shure has the build quality and the Battery. I don't know about sound.

The Shure seems to be the popular choice around here

I can´t speak for Line 6 but the Shure is built like a tank, the quality of your tone is outstanding, not the slightest loss, also, battery life is very good, the display very readable and clear, and plugs and jacks are built to last forever. Count in a good tuner and you're all set. This thing exudes quality and reliability. I would go with the Shure. And no, I don't work for them :)

The Shure doesn't have a replaceable battery AFAIK, when they eventually wear out as they are prone to do over time then you'll struggle. The G70 on the other hand is equally as rugged yet takes batteries you can buy anywhere.

No experience on Line 6 gear, except that the X2 Digital wireless I used to have that was bought out by Line 6. I got some replacement parts with Line 6 labeling. Good sound, reliable, normal 9V battery use (about a soundcheck/4 hour gig/next soundcheck per battery change).

I swapped to the GLXD about a year or so back, and it has been solid. The battery lasts several shows per charge, then recharges and does it again at no additional cost. Haven't bought batteries in quite a while, and have a spare Shure battery (about $25 shipped, or the cost of about 10-12 Duracell 9V). I figure in about 2 more years of gigging, the unit will have paid for itself in batteries alone.

Sound is top notch. Set up like the manual says, wireless performance is on par with other units. To the OP, I doubt there will be gargantuan differences in sound. The battery thing was a big draw for me, having kept Duracell in business for many years! Time will tell on resilience to bumps of the road, but the Shure feels very well made and has held up well so far.

The Shure doesn't have a replaceable battery AFAIK, when they eventually wear out as they are prone to do over time then you'll struggle.

The batteries in the Shure GLXD transmitters are replaceable. There is a charging port for the removable battery on the non-pedal version of the receiver. (GLXD4)

The batteries in the Shure GLXD transmitters are replaceable. There is a charging port for the removable battery on the non-pedal version of the receiver. (GLXD4)
This is true ^

I have the non-pedal version, and the handy charge port does the job between soundcheck and play time. I'm loving that part of it. And there is a "Remaining Time" display on the unit telling you how much battery remains at a glance. I know all this battery talk seems like much ado over nothing, but this rechargeable battery (which has double or more the life per charge as my other rechargeable batteries) is such an improvement from buying batteries over and over and over... it has really become a big deal/feature to me.

Yup, have 5 Shure glxd (3 mic, 2 instrument) and a few spare batteries. Transmitters last something insane like 16 hours per charge.

I've been using the Shure on the road and I have the Line 6 G50 on stage in Las Vegas. I like the Shure, only 1 time has it cut out(in an arena when I was like 100 feet away from the unit).

I have the Shure system. Sound and the build is solid. I had to download another Group #4 from the Shure web site. I have has some stage interference at some venues with the 2.4 band being so crowded. Using Group 4, I have no other drops?? I love not having to change batteries or throw batteries away because I don't want to loose power mid gig!!

I got the shure non pedal version. Pack is metal and rock solid. It's weird not having to worry about batteries coming from an X2 that ate 9v's. One less thing to worry about. Sounds the same as the x2. Wish the receiver was a full rack space though. X2 looked cooler.

Back
Top Bottom