Wireless Midi out

Hhuent

Experienced
Has anyone tried Yamaha’s or Quicco devices to send midimessages from the AX8 to the iPad? I am not talking about editing via fracpad, just sending simple pc messages from AX8. A problem might be the power from the midi out socket that needs to run these devices.

1. Yamaha UD-BT01? Works according to @AlGrenadine, but the sucker (I mean the Yamaha ;-) wants an external power source, so another cable + something that provides power. I‘d rather stick with a midicable then.
2. Yamaha MD-BT01? takes the power from the midisocket, but does this work with the AX8s Socket as well?
3. Quicco Sound? seems to work with @Smittefar s setup but I think he uses it for sending midi TO the AX8 not FROM.

Please enlighten me!

1 : Yes
2 : No because the AX8 midi port doesn't send SYSEX messages, only CC/PC
3 : Same problem

So 2 and 3 may work for sending midi TO the AX8, only, not FROM

1 : Yes
2 : No because the AX8 midi port doesn't send SYSEX messages, only CC/PC
3 : Same problem

So 2 and 3 may work for sending midi TO the AX8, only, not FROM

Hey Al,
Wow, that was quick, but wait: I just wanted to send PC from my AX8 to the iPad, would Nr. 2 and 3 do the trick?

Why would it not work to send midi from the AX8 to the iPad (I apologize, my midi knowledge is close to nil)

As i said you'll only get midi PC/CC from the AX8 midi ports, otherwise you'll have to use its USB port, so a Yamaha UD-BT01

For clarity:

- the MIDI out port only sends MIDI PC messages from scenes, and MIDI soft-thru data. It doesn’t send Sysex (for AX8-Edit, FracPad, etc).

- the USB port only sends Sysex. It doesn’t send MIDI PCs from scenes and doesn’t send MIDI soft-thru data from the MIDI in port.

If you want to control something with PCs from the scenes, use the MIDI out port. The Yamaha UD will not work.

In case someone wants to go down the same route:
For jamming with fellow musicians I use the iPad as a looper. It beats my hardware pigtronix looper hands down as you can build verse, chorus and bridge parts on the go. The AX8 looper with only one loop is useless for my intentions, unfortunately. My Jamming setup looks like this:
Group the loop or Quantiloop App on my iPad. They accept PC Chance messages (for other apps: the app Midiflow helps to transform PC into CC changes but that’s a bit of fiddling.
F Switch 1 = scene 1/2 for sending PC change messages (record, overdub)
Switches 1 to 6 = scene 3 to 8 for sending PC change messages (next loop, previous loop, undo, clear loop, stop etc. Many switches are needed as the AX8 cannot send a PC change repeatedly with the same switch. Seems it was on the todo list but never happened)
Switch 7 = Ring Mod. for bass simulation (when no bass player is around which we all know happens)
Switch 8 = Vol. block, drive block or whatever
Quikko wireless midi plugs send PC messages to iPad. It works.
FX loop block in the chain for audio interface + iPad

Works.

In case someone wants to go down the same route:
For jamming with fellow musicians I use the iPad as a looper. It beats my hardware pigtronix looper hands down as you can build verse, chorus and bridge parts on the go. The AX8 looper with only one loop is useless for my intentions, unfortunately. My Jamming setup looks like this:
Group the loop or Quantiloop App on my iPad. They accept PC Chance messages (for other apps: the app Midiflow helps to transform PC into CC changes but that’s a bit of fiddling.
F Switch 1 = scene 1/2 for sending PC change messages (record, overdub)
Switches 1 to 6 = scene 3 to 8 for sending PC change messages (next loop, previous loop, undo, clear loop, stop etc. Many switches are needed as the AX8 cannot send a PC change repeatedly with the same switch. Seems it was on the todo list but never happened)
Switch 7 = Ring Mod. for bass simulation (when no bass player is around which we all know happens)
Switch 8 = Vol. block, drive block or whatever
Quikko wireless midi plugs send PC messages to iPad. It works.
FX loop block in the chain for audio interface + iPad

Works.

Sounds interesting, Which iPad audio interface are you using in the fx loop?

I tried this with
1. the Apogee jam and the ipads headphone out.
2. the Sonic port VX
Both solutions are not ideal (headphone out is soundwise soo, SOnic port VX can cause latency) but can be fixed with a better interface. Which I will.

Hello
You can transform a pc into a cc with Midiflow?

Yes, it can be done, bu it is a bit complicated:
Works Via controller remapping. The PC Value will be transformed into The Same CC number. You want to achieve, say, CC 15. First you need to define the incoming message, in this case PC 15. Then choose “message” as outgoing controller. Then define the CC and put the 15 where the number is. Looks like
B (CH) (MSB) 7F.

B = Control Change
CH = midi channel
MSB = CC number, in my example: 15
7 F = some hexadecimal control, never mind...

Yes, it can be done, bu it is a bit complicated:
Works Via controller remapping. The PC Value will be transformed into The Same CC number. You want to achieve, say, CC 15. First you need to define the incoming message, in this case PC 15. Then choose “message” as outgoing controller. Then define the CC and put the 15 where the number is. Looks like
B (CH) (MSB) 7F.

B = Control Change
CH = midi channel
MSB = CC number, in my example: 15
7 F = some hexadecimal control, never mind...

Thanks man!!

Hey All!

I'd like to get a little clarity on a couple of things from this thread if possible?

Question 1. Is it PC and CC or just PC?
Question 2. Can we change presets via the MIDI ports as well as scenes?

Thanks!

1. AX8 can only transmit PC messages, and only per scene.

2. On the MIDI In port or via USB, the AX8 receives and responds to commands that allow you to change presets, change scenes, control volume, etc. If you are looking to control the AX8 with something else via MIDI, you have lots of options and lots of control. If you are looking to control other devices with the AX8, it’s limited to PC messages on the physical MIDI Out port only.

Thanks for the reply! Looking to control the AX8 with the Set List Maker iPad app so it sounds like I should be good to go!

Back
Top Bottom