Wireless issues. Any suggestions ?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I’m currently running two Shure GLXD Guitar wireless systems with my axefx 3 rig. I have a custom xitone speaker cab with 4 rack space above the speaker (all in one cabinet). I have the two Glxd receivers Velcro’d to the top of the axe 3. One is used for the piezo on my guitar, the other is for the magnetic pups

Problem is that I’m getting interference between the two units and one or the other will drop out very often. I called Shure and they said the units are not supposed to be in a rack together. I’ve never heard of that before. I’ve seen racks with 10-15 wireless units all jammed together before with no problems.

Any ideas for how to get this working better? OR. Any other quality wireless systems out there that have a rechargeable lithium battery like the GLX? I love that about this system.

I've used multiple GLXD's without an issue. Sounds like you don't have the Rack Mount version, but rather the floor version?
  • Are you certain you don't accidentally have a transmitter linked to both units? This would be the first thing I'd check.
  • Do not use Group 4 at all. It's designed for 1GLXD only. Use Group 2.
  • Make sure both units have the latest software installed. Although, I'm not aware of any issues regarding drop-outs with any versions of their posted firmware.
  • Can you recreate this problem at home?
  • Anybody using a Line6 device with you? There is no standard for this stuff. There was a version/setting on some prior Line6 gear that did not play well within the 2.4Ghz frequency band at all. It took down Wifi and other stuff including the GLXD. I don't remember the details, but just keep that in mind if you have other players around.

I've used multiple GLXD's without an issue. Sounds like you don't have the Rack Mount version, but rather the floor version?
  • Are you certain you don't accidentally have a transmitter linked to both units? This would be the first thing I'd check.
  • Do not use Group 4 at all. It's designed for 1GLXD only. Use Group 2.
  • Make sure both units have the latest software installed. Although, I'm not aware of any issues regarding drop-outs with any versions of their posted firmware.
  • Can you recreate this problem at home?
  • Anybody using a Line6 device with you? There is no standard for this stuff. There was a version/setting on some prior Line6 gear that did not play well within the 2.4Ghz frequency band at all. It took down Wifi and other stuff including the GLXD. I don't remember the details, but just keep that in mind if you have other players around.

I’m using the original rack version. Not the pedal version but the rack style version that doesn’t actually rack. So I velcro it down.

I have the firmware updated. I only have one pack link to one unit and 3 packs linked to the other unit. It works sometimes but I’ll get random drop outs of both packs. I’m
Not sure how to tell if one Pack is linked to two units or not.

I didn’t not know that about group 4. I’ll check that soon to make sure I’m using it.

No one is using line 6. Bass player has the Glxd pedal and other guitar player has an AKG unit.

I do recall this problem happening intermittently at home in the past.

Ok. If your Bass player is also using the GLXD make sure everybody is using the same group. Best group is 2 for multiple users. There will be problems if everybody is using a different group. I'd shove everyone in Group 2, and rescan for channels or at-least make sure everybody has a different channel in the group.

Also make sure you don't park your receiver near any wifi routers. I do have a Wifi router sitting right on top of my Axe III and GLXD, but I disabled the 2.4Ghz transmitter on it. I'm only using 5Ghz for our band Wifi.

Good luck!

Biskitboy - that is clear.
Boltrecords - have you tried to "separate" unit to check if some distance between receivers makes a difference? Maybe then you will have to relocate both units antennas to get some distance. It is easier with GLXD14R (proper rack receiver) which has antenna connectors in the back and relocation kits in box. In that case you could install antennas of one unit in the front of rack, antennas of the second in the back of rack.

why would you have more than one on at a time? i'd like to get an extra pack so i dont have to change straps. but you still have to fumble turning one on and the other off.

My point was just to make sure you don't accidentally have multiple Transmitters activated on a single unit, or you will have issues. Also, since there are really 3xGLXD Receivers (+Bass player) here, it's important that all the transmitters are linked to just one receiver and haven't been accidentally linked to more than one. Just trying to bring clarity to possible causes of interference for the OP.

My point was just to make sure you don't accidentally have multiple Transmitters activated on a single unit, or you will have issues. Also, since there are really 3xGLXD Receivers (+Bass player) here, it's important that all the transmitters are linked to just one receiver and haven't been accidentally linked to more than one. Just trying to bring clarity to possible causes of interference for the OP.

I wonder if you turned more than one transmitter on what would happen? first one grabs it?

I wonder if you turned more than one transmitter on what would happen? first one grabs it?

No, there is actually a process to "link" them. First time use, they automatically link. After that, it's saved. You can always re-link transmitters later. However, once it has a link stored it's saved unless you go through a manual linking process. I'm not technically sure what happens on the Transmitter if you try to link to multiple receivers. The receivers can definitely link to Multiple Transmitters, but the reverse might not be possible. It could be that a transmitter wipes out all prior links.

I just tested this right now with my transmitters, and they only allow ONE link at a time. I tried linking them to multiple receivers, but only the last one will register. So, that is good! Seems like for the OP, he doesn't need to worry about that particular problem.

Biskitboy - that is clear.
Boltrecords - have you tried to "separate" unit to check if some distance between receivers makes a difference? Maybe then you will have to relocate both units antennas to get some distance. It is easier with GLXD14R (proper rack receiver) which has antenna connectors in the back and relocation kits in box. In that case you could install antennas of one unit in the front of rack, antennas of the second in the back of rack.
I guess I could just try turning one receiver around backwards and see what happens. That would somewhat mimic installing the antennas in the back

I used to run 4 glxd receivers in a rack velcro'd 2-up at front so all antennas as far forward as possible to maintain line of sight
\glxd/ \glxd/
\glxd/ \glxd/
---AxeFX II---

They worked well each had a single transmitter (either 2 body packs/2 mics, or 4 mics)... transmitters were never close to each other so don't know if makes a difference. At times we also had a 5th glxd in a separate rack with a body pack

When we had issues with dropouts it was a couple things:
-Proximity, standing right next to rack/receiver with body pack... you need a little distance between transmitter/receiver
-WiFi, We had a rack with a 2.4Ghz network for the mixer... it was just way too close to glxd so turned off 2.4 and used 5Ghz
-WiFi, If location had 2.4 Ghz running 40 Mhz wide bands

Due to distance requirements ended up moving to ulxd but still have a couple of the glxd units, maybe time to find them new homes lol

Good luck

If this is for backup purposes, maybe a long good cable is a more practical and cheaper solution?
This is not for backup purposes. As stated in my original post, i have a dual output guitar equipped with a piezo which requires a separate wireless unit.

I used to run 4 glxd receivers in a rack velcro'd 2-up at front so all antennas as far forward as possible to maintain line of sight
\glxd/ \glxd/
\glxd/ \glxd/
---AxeFX II---

They worked well each had a single transmitter (either 2 body packs/2 mics, or 4 mics)... transmitters were never close to each other so don't know if makes a difference. At times we also had a 5th glxd in a separate rack with a body pack

When we had issues with dropouts it was a couple things:
-Proximity, standing right next to rack/receiver with body pack... you need a little distance between transmitter/receiver
-WiFi, We had a rack with a 2.4Ghz network for the mixer... it was just way too close to glxd so turned off 2.4 and used 5Ghz
-WiFi, If location had 2.4 Ghz running 40 Mhz wide bands

Due to distance requirements ended up moving to ulxd but still have a couple of the glxd units, maybe time to find them new homes lol

Good luck

I’m thinking the dual transmitters on my strap may be part of the issue. I try to separate them a bit, one at the middle and one at the end of the strap. But there is still only 6-8 inches between packs.

When I used to have my old AKG WMS Wireless system I’d actually put both transmitters in one strap pouch back to back with no issues. The Glxd system seems to be a lot more tempermental

Back
Top Bottom