Wireless IEM systems - which one to buy / avoid ?

I bought the Sennheiser G4 system. Our drummer has the G3. After 2 rehearsals it works great.
I'm sure some of it is the Presonus 32R and the Control software which makes dialing it in much easier.

I bought the Sennheiser G4 system. Our drummer has the G3. After 2 rehearsals it works great.
I'm sure some of it is the Presonus 32R and the Control software which makes dialing it in much easier.
Do you notice any difference between the two? I have the G3 and thankfully never had a negative experience with it.

My experience is that there are HUGE differences between an entry-level Xvive wireless and a more pro-level Sennheiser G3/4 device. No such thing as “something for nothing” — which any Fractal user should know else we’d all be using a Helix, eh?

I think the PSM300 (like most Shure gear) is a solid piece for cost-conscious users — esp. someone who may just want to give wireless IEM a whirl to see how they like it. I’d venture that the quality of the actual IEMs you use with it can make more of a difference than spending additional $/€\£\¥ on a more robust wireless link.

I’m thinking about trying the MIPRO909 system. How does one put a limiter on the aux send?
That depends on where the aux sends are coming from...

By band uses a Mackie DL32R which is a digital mixer that includes some built-in effects, such as a Limiter.

Took this thread’s advice and upgraded my PSM300 to the MIPRO MI909. Figure i can sell the PSM300 to cover most of the MIPRO cost. I asked the guy I spoke with why the MI909 does not have a limiter and he said it’s because the older version had a limiter but most people did not use it and that it muddies up the signal

Took this thread’s advice and upgraded my PSM300 to the MIPRO MI909. Figure i can sell the PSM300 to cover most of the MIPRO cost. I asked the guy I spoke with why the MI909 does not have a limiter and he said it’s because the older version had a limiter but most people did not use it and that it muddies up the signal
Let us know what you think... That's been on my list for a couple years now.

Let us know what you think... That's been on my list for a couple years now.
Will do. The man I was speaking to was really highlighting how a good IEM system can affect your overall sound/tone for the better. I didn’t know that so I hope he is right about that. I thought it was just your amp/guitar + headphones and then the transmitter just sends/receives that signal, but i guess by enhancing that signal it improves quality of tone?

It's not the enhancement, imho, but rather the signal isn't degraded. My bass player was floored by the difference when he listened to my Sen. IEM vs his audio technica...he thought I was silly buying it until that moment.

It's not the enhancement, imho, but rather the signal isn't degraded. My bass player was floored by the difference when he listened to my Sen. IEM vs his audio technica...he thought I was silly buying it until that moment.
Makes sense. I guess i will have to hear it to believe it because I cant really wrap my brain around how signal quality sounds haha

Not wanting to derail the thread too much, for someone in the UK that's new to IEM what's a decent entry level system.

For what it's worth. I've had a psm200, Carvin em900, Sennheiser g3, and lastly on a whim I bought the Vocopro iem digital system, think it was $200, price went up a bit as of late. I compared it directly with the G3 before I sold the G3 system. The Sennheiser stuff is not really 100% stereo, it splits the signal and pushes it almost in stereo (easily testable if you don't believe me, pan something hard either side and listen in the the other ear bud). This one is 100% stereo, uses a separate band for each ear. It's rechargeable, and the pack is small and made of metal.

Sound quality was better than the Sennheiser too, quieter, less hiss. For distance I had my mp3 player going into it in the basement, and walked 2 flights up to the top of the house as far as I could get away and it never even popped. Buds are junk so are any that come with any system. Has rack kit and front mounted antenna's. How will it hold up? anyone's guess, but I don't beat my stuff up so it should be ok.

Anyway check it out if you want a cheaper alternative that is better (IMHO) than the units costing twice as much.

Does anyone know if the Mipro MI-909 is still in production? I can't seem to find a retailer in the USA that has them in stock. Even the MiPro website shows the MI-909 as out of stock. I didn't see a notice that it was out of production though.

For what it's worth. I've had a psm200, Carvin em900, Sennheiser g3, and lastly on a whim I bought the Vocopro iem digital system, think it was $200, price went up a bit as of late. I compared it directly with the G3 before I sold the G3 system. The Sennheiser stuff is not really 100% stereo, it splits the signal and pushes it almost in stereo (easily testable if you don't believe me, pan something hard either side and listen in the the other ear bud). This one is 100% stereo, uses a separate band for each ear. It's rechargeable, and the pack is small and made of metal.

Sound quality was better than the Sennheiser too, quieter, less hiss. For distance I had my mp3 player going into it in the basement, and walked 2 flights up to the top of the house as far as I could get away and it never even popped. Buds are junk so are any that come with any system. Has rack kit and front mounted antenna's. How will it hold up? anyone's guess, but I don't beat my stuff up so it should be ok.

Anyway check it out if you want a cheaper alternative that is better (IMHO) than the units costing twice as much.
I'm guessing there was an issue with your Senn G3. I've run the EW100 G3 for years and have tested one earbud at a time in an attempt to track down Mixer issues and it always has the true stereo separation. I'd love to hear one of these Vocopro units as the Senn was the best quality sound of any unit I've ever tried.

Back
Top Bottom