• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wireless Headphones?

iaresee

Best answers
Yes. Just run the headphone out or one of the 1/4" outputs into the transmitter for the headphones.

JustinAiken

Inspired
Best answers
Yeah, Bluetooth headphones are right out.

I'm using these RF headphones (make sure and get the 2019 edition, the legacy edition was hissy) with the AxeIII and it's great fun: Amazon product
Don't know if you can connect them directly, I'm using them through USB (AxeIII -> Mac -> headphones)

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Best answers
You will almost assuredly have latency issues with any Bluetooth headphone with axe..unless the tech has passed me by.........
There technically is latency, but its really pretty minimal. I've been using bluetooth midi controller keyboards for years now, they work fine and I don't notice any appreciable latency verses when I'd connect to a synth, iPad etc, nor when I stream audio to my bluetooth speakers, earbuds etc.

It does add some, no question about that, but I personally find it imperceptible, and would estimate that the combined latency of the Axe, and then a BT headphone's summed latency is still less than a lot of VST amp modelers on a computer, when you add up the interface, AD/DA conversion etc

Its not perfect, but its a far cry from the days of 140ms+ or so using DirectX drivers on Windows machines with early versions of Amplitube and Cakewalk etc lol

∞Fractals

Forum Addict
Best answers
Decades ago (1990s) I had several headphones which included a set of wireless (Sony?) which used IR transmission. I don’t recall latency or even current availability. But I usually can’t tolerate BT audio. Ymmv.

chris

Legend!
Best answers
What many don’t realize is that Bluetooth audio from phones, tablets and computers automatically delay any video or other sync’d elements so it seems as if there’s no latency.

jw3571

Inspired
Best answers
I was just looking for any type of wireless headphone options, sounds like the technology isn't there yet.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Best answers
If you cannot hear the latency introduced by bluetooth: get your nervous system and hearing checked. BT is completely unacceptable for guitar monitoring.
I have a doctorate in audiology and specific training in in auditory brain stem response testing and also inter-operative monitoring of the cranial nervous during surgery; my nervous system is just fine, I can assure you.

You should modify your comment to read "BT is completely unacceptable for guitar monitoring, FOR ME"

If you find it unacceptable, I'm not arguing with you. I however find it acceptable, which is why I stated "It does add some, no question about that, but I personally find it imperceptible". Its not my idea way of listening with phones, corded or otherwise, but I can still play just fine, and when its late at night I find it works. I spent years dealing with far more latency. Ever try to play using a MME or DirectX driver because your hardware didn't have AISIO support ?? Now THAT is latency! lol, but somehow I still managed to track and produce music.

I have limited needs for headphones, and do make use of BT headphones for a variety of purposes around the house, so for me, it makes more sense to own just a BT equipped pair, rather than also buy a corded pair, which would only be used for the purposes of guitar playing. Doesn't make sense "for me"

unix-guy

Legend!
Best answers
How much are we talking? Is there any lag with those?
I think you could start about $350, up to several thousand.

Decent units are about $600... Lesser ones may impact the audio quality.

I am sure there is some latency, but probably less or equivalent to standing 5-10 feet from your cab.

I've only really heard of latency in digital IEM systems, and even that is pretty low.

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
I have a doctorate in audiology and specific training in in auditory brain stem response testing and also inter-operative monitoring of the cranial nervous during surgery; my nervous system is just fine, I can assure you.
Argument from authority, ignored, doc. BT has too much latency for anyone who is not weird, sorry. Advising someone to go down that path is just setting them up for frustration and wasted $$ and time. OP is much better off going wired studio phones.

Last edited:

Jack Napalm

Forum Addict
Best answers
The last time I tried BT audio was about two years ago. It was horrible, besides the latency you have to remember the audio will be compressed and a lower quality.

chris

Legend!
Best answers
i don't think playing with Bluetooth latency is a skill at all. it's an unnecessary adjustment in most if not all situations. i agree that suggesting to even try it is leading someone down a poor path.

Roadrunner

Forum Addict
Best answers
If you cannot hear the latency introduced by bluetooth: get your nervous system and hearing checked. BT is completely unacceptable for guitar monitoring.
Never had a BT headphones that didn’t had like a 1 sec latency, I tried so many of them, all have the same issue.
IE are great but expensive for home use.
Would be nice to have something in range of like 50$ for home use.

Top Bottom