Wireless CAT5 ??

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
i played a gig last night and the sound engineer saw me taping my cat 5 cable down and said "you know you can run those cables wirelessly now, right?"

has anyone tried this? im assuming its not going to be able to run power tomy mfc wirelessly.

Sounds like he was talking about Wireless Ethernet .... WiFi.

Although the MFC / Afe-FX II uses a CAT 5 socket.... it is not the Ethernet protocol that is sent over it.... so it is not the same.

Sounds like he was talking about Wireless Ethernet .... WiFi.

Although the MFC / Afe-FX II uses a CAT 5 socket.... it is not the Ethernet protocol that is sent over it.... so it is not the same.
Why would it matter?? It's the same signal sent from one end (Axe) that would be received at the MFC. It's just 8 wires carrying data.. Shouldn't matter what type of data... it's just wire!

Of course, you wouldn't be able to power the MFC that way.. would need to use the wall wart!

Because WiFi is more than just sending each wire over the air...

the connection between the Axe-FX and the MFC just happend to be using a CAT5 Cable...it is just using the wires to connect A to B.

WiFi is a complete protocol..... totally different.... it uses TCP/IP to communicate from host to host .... the Axe-FX II will not understand TCP/IP.

You can try it if you don't believe me, best case it won't work .....worse case it will break something.... either way I would not try it.

It does matter, it's like if you speak English and I only speak German. We can't talk. Protocols are different so a wireless system won't translate it correctly.

Edit:badmelonfarmer beat me to it

Because WiFi is more than just sending each wire over the air....
I get that.. if you have a wireless ethernet bridge between 2 points that is tcpip driven, then yes.. I agree.. fail!
if it's a wireless xmitter/receiver - like wireless guitar - it shouldn't matter if its RJ45 coming in or not.
That was my point... not the ethernet/tcpip part. I get that.
Part of what i do for a living :) I should have elaborated... clarified in my init post (something I complain about in other folks posts... haha.. not enuf detail info)
Trying to work and post at same time LOL

I guess Wireless MIDI transmitter is the closest thing that might work.....but as the OP was talking CAT5 ... I was guessing that the dude was talking WiFi.

Like you say thought you would need power to the MFC and probably the wireless transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom