Wired in ear monitoring, anyone?

selim cobanoglu

Hi everone,

I am a singer guitarist and struggling to get a good monitoring on the small club we play every week.
Wireless systems are a bit pricey, and since I am a guitar player, I am already wired in some sort of way.
So there's no point to go wireless for monitoring purposes.

What's the best wired in ear monitoring solution for a guitar player. Do you guys use this method?
Thanks in advance. :)
(By the way I use my AX8 on stage both direct to PA and fx return of an amp)

I used to do something similar - I used a Behringer P1 ($50) and sleeved a 3.5mm (standard mini jack) headphone extension cable with my guitar cable - using expandable mesh sleeving ($10). The Behringer sat on floor by my guitar inlet to pedalboard, and had XLR input from mixer for my monitor. P1 can be powered from pedalboard or any pedal adapter. No batteries, simple, cheap - worked for me :)

It depends.. the Rolls PM351 is pretty popular for wired.. assuming you can get all the feeds you need to it.
Whatever solution you choose, MAKE SURE that you have brick-wall limiting capability in-line.
With wireless systems, those come with the receiver units.. but not with wired systems.
You may need to factor in the purchase of one, to put between the mixer and your monitor system.
Will prevent ear damage from things like dropped mics :)

The little behringer $50 headphone amp thingy works a treat. Used it with an acoustic band I played with. Screws on a mic stand or has a belt clip. XLR ins. If you don't have the volume up loud too loud, loud spikes cant hurt, so I wouldn't sweat the limiter. it's good insurance, but just don't have the volume up where it can hurt you.

Personally give me wireless in every possible way. Wireless guitar, wireless in-ear, wireless vocal mic if I could afford it and the dream is one day to have a wireless MIDI controller for my Axe too, like on my wrist. No wires to trip over, no need to have to stay close to my floor board or mic, total freedom to move around and play wherever I want.

Personally give me wireless in every possible way. Wireless guitar, wireless in-ear, wireless vocal mic if I could afford it and the dream is one day to have a wireless MIDI controller for my Axe too, like on my wrist. No wires to trip over, no need to have to stay close to my floor board or mic, total freedom to move around and play wherever I want.
for those of us who stand at a mic and sing most of the gig, we really never need that "freedom." and we save thousands of dollars on gear ;)

Like a few others here, I have a Behringer P1. It's mounted to my rack. Powered by a pedal power brick, also in my rack. Thin 1/8" extension cord to my ear buds. Cheap 1-driver Audio Technicas. I'm thinking about upgrading to Westone 2 or 3 drivers.

I know you didn't ask about wireless, but Carvin is having a Memorial Day sale on their EM900, now through the 30th. I got their email with the sale price of $345, promo code MEMORIALDAY. Regular price is $429 (it has gone up in recent years). The sale has given me some GAS. Damn them.

Worst thing about in ears is losing interaction with the crowd with sound isolating headphones in your ears. :/
Ambience mic is not an option for me unfortunately, seems like I will be relying on wedges back again.

Worst thing about in ears is losing interaction with the crowd with sound isolating headphones in your ears. :/
Ambience mic is not an option for me unfortunately, seems like I will be relying on wedges back again.
Mics onstage pickup plenty of crowd in my situation.

Back
Top Bottom