Windows. Is it worth to pay for an anti-virus?

What AntiVirus are you using? (For Windows users only)

• Total voters

Piing

Axe-Master
My Bitdefender Total Security subscription is about to expire, and I am not sure if I shall renew it.

Is it really worth to pay for an external antivirus with Windows 10, or shall I go back to Windows Defender?

What are you using?

I'm using the Windows one. I was under the impression that most AV apps use the same signatures these days. I'd switch to something with fewer false positives, but if they're matching to the same database, there's no benefit.

None - scamming these days focuses a lot on fishing schemes to hoodwink people into handing over their credentials, or, taking advantage of people's failure to maintain good security
proceses (ie poor password quality, failure to keep passwords confidential, using same password across many sites ...). AV software doesn't largely help with this. I might consider it if I was downloading a lot from unknown sites, but I don't so don't feel I need it on my windows machine. Same reasoning for my Mac.

Edit: Some think AV is a substitute for doing OS updates which are very important to keeping security loopholes closed. I've heard of some strange thinking that: applying OS security updates is a hi security risk, so some peeps don't do any OS updates but faithfully update AV software🤔 - Bizarre as there is a constant game of hackers finding OS vulnerabilities to exploit that AV would not address, and OS makers closing them with OS updates.

Last edited:
For regular everyday use - Windows Defender is totally fine (as long you keep updating the definitions)

If you do questionable stuff (no judgment) or visit higher-risk torrent sites, etc., I would use F-Secure or something similar that is reliable and keeps a smaller footprint on your system. A lot of the others bog your machine down with unnecessary nonsense and unneeded features.

Also too, you should consider your router choice. Most offer additional protection. Having your hardware add extra insulation is something most people don't consider (or realize).

IMHO VPNs are a waste of money unless you need to access something blocked within your country, or whatever. Again, it's all really subjective and dependent on your needs.

Safe surfing!

I've got two Windows machines at home, neither of which has any protection other than what is automatically there. I literally don't pay any attention to it. No problems so far.

I use McAfee on all my pc’s and laptops. It’s provided for free by my ISP.

Same here.

Cox Cable bundles McAfee into my internet service. I'm not required to use it, but there's no way discount for opting out. If Defender really is just as good, then I might consider uninstalling the McAfee.

My Bitdefender Total Security subscription is about to expire, and I am not sure if I shall renew it.

Is it really worth to pay for an external antivirus with Windows 10, or shall I go back to Windows Defender?

What are you using?
I have used Bit Defender for appx 16 years or so. Never had a virus. never had any issues related to security. I NEVER buy from Bit defender. It can be found dirt cheap all over at reputable sites.
Comcast, my service gives Norton away for free-Norton is terrible imho.

Bottom line: I have found thru trial and error that Bit Defender has the SMALLEST performance hit on my PC than any of the others.

For regular everyday use - Windows Defender is totally fine (as long you keep updating the definitions)

If you do questionable stuff (no judgment) or visit higher-risk torrent sites, etc., I would use F-Secure or something similar that is reliable and keeps a smaller footprint on your system. A lot of the others bog your machine down with unnecessary nonsense and unneeded features.

Also too, you should consider your router choice. Most offer additional protection. Having your hardware add extra insulation is something most people don't consider (or realize).

IMHO VPNs are a waste of money unless you need to access something blocked within your country, or whatever. Again, it's all really subjective and dependent on your needs.

Safe surfing!
Questionable sites would most certainly include many sites musicians might go to. Have to consider that also.

There's a YouTube PC channel of what seemed quite a critical and knowledgeable guy who used to work for MS once. He advised Defender as he knew the main guy behind it and that he does his best to do things properly.
If browsing is your main worry, you could run your browser in a sandbox (I use Sandboxie).

Last edited:
I went the hardware route at home with a wireless router with added protection. I also have a vpn configured on the router which I read above on a previous postmay not be that helpful. I defer to professional techies opinions on the vpn. My decision was made based on a belt + suspenders non tech mindset.

I don't really use Windows, only in a Qemu virtual machine and only when I need to, so there's no need for an antivirus whatsoever. But if I had to use Windows regularly, I'd never ever install an external antivirus program. They go WAY too deep into the system, have WAY too many rights and in my opinion (which is based on reports about security issues these programs have) they do more harm than good.

If security is important to you and you want or have to stick to Windows, inform yourself on how to secure it by deactivating useless stuff like services etc., hardening it with onboard tools (e.g. simply by adjusting system settings accordingly) and so on.

"Cybersecurity Professional" here agreeing that Defender is up there with the best, if it's not consistently the best (things change month to month).

Back
Top Bottom