Windows 8 and Axe Edit

rtcook

Experienced
Can you guys give me some answers, suggestions and direction please?

I'm in the market for a small screen (~12") netbook/laptop/ultrabook with Windows 8 to run Axe Edit and all the related Axe software. I want to know if the touch screen works with Axe Edit or if it has to be used with a mouse? Also, whats the best screen resolution?

I currently have a Windows 7 10" netbook, but the screen resolution only goes to 600 vertically and it cuts off some of the other programs. Axe Edit sizes ok, but is kinda small.

I'm open to suggestions. Not an Apple guy, but willing to listen to which would work best.

Thanks!

Roger

It's alright on a surface pro 2 but small and touch is so/so experience. I use a Bluetooth mouse (since touchpad on type keyboard blows goats worse than touch experience and need the 1 USB port for The II)... It's actually works much better remotely accessed via my ipad. Tried to pick up a dell venue 8 pro during MS 12 days of Xmas for it but couldn't get the $99 deal and decided $199 wasn't worth it but actually after seeing one after the fact probably would have been a great fit. I really think the lenovo yoga line will probably be what settle on in the end since not digging surface for other stuff but until then sticking with remote via ipad.

I don't understand your post. Does the touchscreen work for navigating Axe Edit and editing parameters? I thought that functionality was yet to be programmed into Axe Edit?? In fact I was just on my way to get a stupid mouse with that wheel in the middle...

I've used it with a Dell Lattitude 10" tablet, Win 8 and promptly reverted to my trusty a Win 7 laptop and mouse.

There is some touchscreen functionality but when it comes to tweaking controls it's hit and miss

I don't think I'm the first to try this. Obviously others are doing it.

Just bought my wife a MS Surface Pro 2 for Xmas. Too expensive of an option for just running the Axe related software.

Here's what I am looking at:

Amazon.com: Asus X200CA-HCL1104G 11.6 inch Touch Screen Laptop (Windows 8, 4GB Memory, 320GB Hard Drive, Black): Computers & Accessories

It has about a 12" screen. Larger than my current ASUS EEE PC Netbook at 10". Better resolution at 1366x768 vs. my netbooks 1024x600 resolution which cuts off the bottom of Cab Lab and Fractal Bot. Axe Edit sizes ok, but it somewhat small. Its useable though.

This other Asus computer also runs Windows 8 and is a touchscreen. I wondered if the Axe Edit software responds to the touchscreen. Meaning can you "Save" something by touching the "Save" button or do you still have to use a mouse and put the pointer on it and click? How about the switches in Axe Edit (ex. Boost)? Will they respond to touch and turn on and off or again would I have to use the mouse? Then there's the knobs. Will they rotate with touch? Obviously, you would have to type in values for the the knobs if you want.

If Axe Edit does not support touchscreen, then I guess Windows 7 would be fine. But, like someone said above, weren't they supporting Windows 8 and the touchscreen in Axe Edit?

All in all, I was looking for a inexpensive laptop/netbook/ultrabook to run all the Axe software since my main computer is away from my rack. There's limitations on USB cable length and it is out of reach for me. I do not gig. This is just for a home setup, so running the Axe from the computer is more of a convenience thing for me. I like using Axe Edit, but have no problems navigating the front panel.

I also mentioned I am not an Apple guy, but would be willing to listen to those options if they are not going to be too expensive.

So, for about $285 I can have this computer sit on top of my rack and run everything. My server backs all my computers up, so all my data would be secure as well.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Roger

Axe-Edit isn't really designed as a touch-first interface, it is much easier to control with a mouse. Like any other desktop application, touch can be used as a replacement for the mouse, but the interface isn't built with touch in mind. If it were me, I wouldn't plan my workflow around editing in Axe-Edit with a touch screen.

My recommendations for ultrabooks around the 12" mark (in no particular order):
- Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (12.5")
- Lenovo ThinkPad X240 (12.5")
- Acer Aspire S7 (13.3")
- Sony VAIO Z (11" or 13")

Edit: I didn't see that last post before I made this one. The above ultrabooks are more general purpose, good quality machines. If you're looking for something purely to do Axe-Edit work, they are probably overkill.

Last edited:
Yeah, those are expensive. I'm thinking what I found is more realistic and it will do the job. If Axe Edit ever does become all touch it will handle it. There's a lot of opinions on using a laptop to run their system. In my situation I think it will work fine. Like I said I'm an at home player and not a gigging musician.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom