Windows 11 - Should I do it?

Windows 10 has been solid for me. My current machine is also not supported for 11, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
Exactly this for me. Windows 10 does everything I need it to, and even if I wanted to upgrade to 11 I couldn't.

I just wish more software was compatible with Linux, if it weren't for a few vital pieces I needed, I'd use some distro arch on my main rig for sure.

Last edited:
Windows 10 has been solid for me. My current machine is also not supported for 11, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Add me to that list too...my PC is only a couple of years old and I was very surprised to see it isn't supported for Windows 11; I'm presuming the CPU is the issue here but I've not looked deeply into it.

Windows 10 is solid for me as well and I've no issues with it as far as stability, etc. but, like Cliff has said above, I'm not crazy about the overall UI which I find overly 'dumbed down', not all that intuitive for many configuration options/tasks, and inconsistent in general.

Look at the TPM too, some come stock with the standard 1.2 and you can easily flash them to 2.0.

Old CPUs seem to be just to be supported due to "driver obsolescence". I do not know if has to do with the infamous Spectre and Meltdown flaws, I guess M$ has published the tech details somewhere but I could not find them.

Windows 10 had a lot of focus on security, Windows 11 even more, that is great news.

You can install Windows 11 on any PC that can install Windows 10 64bit if you do a Clean Install and not upgrade. As @Mohi mentioned, the reason M$ recommends a newer CPU is so the PC is protected from Spectre and Meltdown at a hardware level.

Most PC's CPU's after 2016 have TPM built in and just need to be enabled in the BIOS/UEFI. For more info, search for Intel PTT (Platform Trust Technology) or AMD fTPM.

If you run this PowerShell script, it will tell you all the info you need to know if you can upgrade to Windows 11 or would need to do a Clean install. Right click on your start menu and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". Copy/Paste the script below and press ENTER.

Code:
Function Test-Win11Compat {
cls
$V_CPU = Get-CimInstance Win32_Processor
'64 bit CPU: ' + $(if ($V_CPU.DataWidth -like '*64*'){'True'}else{'False'})
'Secure Boot Enabled: ' + $(Confirm-SecureBootUEFI -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
'64 bit OS: ' + $(if ((Get-CimInstance win32_operatingsystem).osarchitecture -like '*64*'){'True'}else{'False'})
$V_TPM_Enabled = Get-Tpm -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
$V_TPM_Version = Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Tpm -Namespace 'root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
'TPM Status: ' + $(if (($V_TPM_Enabled).TpmPresent -like '*True*'){'TPM is Enabled and is Version: ' + $($V_TPM_Version.SpecVersion.Trim().split(',')[0])}else{'Not Enabled or PC doesn''t have TPM'})
'RAM Memory Installed must be 4GB or more: ' + $((Get-CimInstance Cim_PhysicalMemory | Measure-Object -Property Capacity -Sum).Sum /1gb) + 'GB'
'CPU Model: ' + $($V_CPU.Name)
}
Test-Win11Compat

= What the script info means =
# To upgrade you need:
## Windows 11 requirements: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements
64 bit CPU: True
Secure Boot Enabled: True
64 bit OS: True
TPM Status: TPM is Enabled and is Version: 2.0
RAM Memory Installed must be 4GB or more
CPU Model: Check the M$ Windows 11 Processor Requirements: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

# 64bit CPU: If False then it's 32bit, so your PC is pretty old and you won't be able to install Windows 11

# Secure Boot Enabled:
## If it says ''Cmdlet not supported on this platform'' you have Legacy BIOS and would need to switch to UEFI and clean install but if UEFI isn't available, your PC is pretty old and you won't be able to install Windows 11
## If False, Enable and Upgrade
## If Enabled, You can Upgrade

# 64 bit OS: If this is False then it's 32bit, so you'd need to do a Clean Install

# TPM Status:
## This tells you if it's enabled and if it's version 1.2 or 2.0
## If Enabled and 2.0, upgrade
## If Enabled and 1.2, upgrade to 2.0 if possible or Clean install or run command below to bypass the check for TPM 2.0 and the CPU family and model
## If Not Enabled, Enable and verify version
## If PC doesn't have TPM, Clean Install

# RAM Memory Installed must be 4GB or more: If less than 4GB install more and upgrade or Clean install but the PC will be slow with less than 8GB

# CPU Model: Verify it's a supported model and upgrade or clean install if it's not or run command below to bypass the check for TPM 2.0 and the CPU family and model
## M$ Windows 11 Processor Requirements: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

= Here's more info about "Ways to install Windows 11" =
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

Run this command to bypass the check for TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and the CPU family and model. You can run it in PowerShell the same way as above. Right click on your start menu and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". Copy/Paste the script below and press ENTER

Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup" /V "AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU" /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F

Last edited:
Well the "should I" got answered for me . Downloads, says installing, gets to 100%, reboots and NOTHING. continuous loop.
Yes I have Secure boot and TPM 2.0 enabled.
I tried stopping the service, resetting and deleting the files in the software distribution folder. Nothing.
For now, I give up.

Well the "should I" got answered for me . Downloads, says installing, gets to 100%, reboots and NOTHING. continuous loop.
Yes I have Secure boot and TPM 2.0 enabled.
I tried stopping the service, resetting and deleting the files in the software distribution folder. Nothing.
For now, I give up.
Was that for an upgrade or clean install?

Was that for an upgrade or clean install?
Hey
Upgrade-You know the free one thru Windows update. I do have a USB stick with Win 11 and legal serial # but I want to save that for a 2nd install on another PC.
Figured why not use the free one.
I did turn off firewalls etc also. Just realized I did not turn off Bit Defender anti virus part of Bit Defender 2020, but it never gave issues before with updates.

My PC did not make the minimum requirements so stuck with Windows 10 until I get a new one. Does not seem to be anything mind-blowing in Windows 11 at the moment so no rush. Also, PC prices are a bit inflated at the moment with all the supply chain issues.

Why is this weird? Just asking OK. If a file is in use it's the logical outcome. Not a fight, just a question.

Anyway, I digress, For me, Id play a game or 2 and have read some interestingly\positive things about it so I amy update. I have the offer but don't like the 6 days ONLY rollback. should be forvere and if I want to delete the rollback\files\folders should be my choice, not microsofts. :-(

So, like the geek I am I ordered and rec'd a win 11 Pro x64 USB drive. Cost %50 delivered but I am weird like this.
Still am waiting though....just like to see more feedback, like this thread.
I would do a full backup before any major upgrade. Shut all your programs, do a reboot and then do the upgrade. Sometimes these types of messages are just noise but in some cases could be something the guy who wrote this upgraded app did not account for. I have had issues in the past where some odd piece of hardware has a compatibility issue and you end up blue screening.

I just ordered a new PC with a 12th Generation i9, 64GB DDR 5 RAM, and GeForce RTX(TM) 3060 Ti. From what I read, Windows 11 is mandatory for 12 Gen aka Alder Lake processors since the thread scheduler in Windows 10 cannot fully support the new CPU architecture. The CPU has 16 cores but is split up so half are performance cores and the other half are efficiency cores. On Windows 10 you may find that that performance cores are never engaged and only the efficiency cores are used. There have also been reports that some software breaks when the OS switches between performance and efficiency cores. Intel and Microsoft are working on a fix for Windows 11 but will not be backporting the solution to Windows 10 any time soon.

From the benchmarks I have looked at, the new generation from Intel uses more voltage and runs hotter than gen 10 and gen 11 chips. Most people that have been testing these are recommending using liquid cooling rather than just fans.

Once I receive the system and set it up I will do some posts on how well it performs. At least on paper, this thing looks killer.

I had already made up my mind to go to intel Gen 10, possibly 11 bas on the things I have read while researching the subject. Heat was definitely one of my reasons.
Still waiting on win 11. Mainly because I am in the middle of some recording projects I am working on.

Just upgraded. FM3 Edit and USB audio works without issue, Windows has historically been pretty good about backwards compatibility. Unlike others who have said no big difference, for me there is a slight increase in speed loading Reaper and navigating menus is snappier. The UI/navigation is more or less a step in the direction of Apple stuff. There is an interesting new feature which allows you to create multiple desktops, unsure if this is just a gimmick or actually a quasi secondary VM (likely more an organization gimmick). EDIT: Appear virtual desktops were a part of Windows 10, just buried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom