Windows 11 - Should I do it?

iu

Like with the Axe III, let the early adopters go crazy for it and get it yourself when it has matured. I ain't switching over until Win10 is no longer supported or there's a deadline for the free upgrade to expire. Let others experience all the bugs.

And here's one for the Apple Jehova's Witnesses.
I use both, Apple for personal and Windows for the job.

Interesting video with some good points. I think he sums up my feelings from about 10:40 to 10:55 with the "If you want your stuff to work" comment.

I made the switch about 12 yrs ago personally and won't go back just for that reason. However, for customizability and prices, go with Windows.

Last edited:
I feel like Canada has earned at least one mulligan for all the great things before that guy and his "channel."

Mulligan granted. :)

Like with the Axe III, let the early adopters go crazy for it and get it yourself when it has matured. I ain't switching over until Win10 is no longer supported or there's a deadline for the free upgrade to expire. Let others experience all the bugs.

And here's one for the Apple Jehova's Witnesses.

Wait......did you seriously just put windows and a Fractal product in the same sentence? I think I have to call you out on this.....you can't put one of the worst and one of the best in the same sentence and just say it's the same.....

I have had ZERO doubts getting ANY of the Fractal products I own, (and I own quite a few) even early adoption, because of the confidence I have with them and their service and track record which speaks for itself

Microsoft on the other hand, with the exception of maybe windows xp has continually churned out steaming piles of unfinished, never to be finished, incomplete, buggy, sluggish, crashing, incompatible, driverless, security hole-ridden, co-orporate greed driven garbage time and again.....

On the other hand I am confident that I can buy whatever new Fractal product is launched right out the gate, knowing that if there is a bug it will be rectified by the time I finish dinner, or have it fixed in Record time. They have literally set the bar for quality.....

100% confidence in FRACTAL
25% max In Microsoft

Fanboi hat off, there is still no comparison there, even to the untrained eye, so yeah just had to set that straight, carry on

Any thoughts on Axe Edit and Windows 11? Am I ok to go ahead and upgrade?

Thanks!

Jon
imo, you should do it, install edit it as the binary version that its listed as i.e "w10,w7" etc. the forum leans a prejudice to apple os but reality is for me at least, is windows is just as stable if not more that apple.

Microsoft on the other hand, with the exception of maybe windows xp has continually churned out steaming piles of unfinished, never to be finished, incomplete, buggy, sluggish, crashing, incompatible, driverless, security hole-ridden, co-orporate greed driven garbage time and again.....
Seriously though, tell us how you really feel........... ;)

Even my more recent and still performing fine laptop's processor is too old.
It's an i7-6700K 4.0 GHz w TPM 2.0 enabled, but that CPU not on the list of compatible processors.
Some folks on reddit say they installed it w no problems, but...
a) Some say the file explorer is unstable, which seems weird to me
b) Some say MS says they won't provide updates for unsupported processors, though some people have gotten them

I haven't seen any compelling reasons to upgrade, except that Win 10 support and updates will no doubt end before Win 11.

Thoughts?

Even my more recent and still performing fine laptop's processor is too old.
It's an i7-6700K 4.0 GHz w TPM 2.0 enabled, but that CPU not on the list of compatible processors.
Some folks on reddit say they installed it w no problems, but...
a) Some say the file explorer is unstable, which seems weird to me
b) Some say MS says they won't provide updates for unsupported processors, though some people have gotten them

I haven't seen any compelling reasons to upgrade, except that Win 10 support and updates will no doubt end before Win 11.

Thoughts?
As I noted above, I have a 6700k as well which is still performing flawlessly. I normally upgrade as soon as the new version of windows is available, but since my CPU doesn’t seem to be supported this time, I think I will hold off as long as my system is performing well. Once windows 10 is not supported anymore, I will probably try and install 11 with my processor and see what happens. If things go south I will then upgrade my machine.

Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 but with a new UI, under the hood are the same. Windows 10 is a terrific OS, very stable and secure, despite the bad reputation that perhaps well earned previous versions. If you liked Windows 10 and worked for you, then 11 will too.
  • What does 11 have that I want if I'm fine on 10?
  • Why the processor restrictions behind beyond TPM if they're the same underneath?

Last edited:
  • What does 11 have that I want if I'm fine on 10?
  • Why the processor restrictions behind TPM if they're the same underneath?
  1. At this moment, probably nothing
  2. TPMs are necessary to improve the security of technologies like Windows Hello or Bitlocker, according to M$. Firmware attacks are less likely to happen, but do exist. Allegedly CPUs ageing and related support are mentioned as reasons for not being officially supported, but that can be bypassed (with some caveats)
If I used Windows at home (which I abandoned more than one year ago), and my PC was not supported, probably would not upgrade (yet).

I really liked Windows 10 (bugs aside), but Windows 11 is the GUI I’ve always dream Windows would have. It looks amazing.

I updated and didn’t run into any software compatibility issues.

1. At this moment, probably nothing
  2. TPMs are necessary to improve the security of technologies like Windows Hello or Bitlocker, according to M$. Firmware attacks are less likely to happen, but do exist. Allegedly CPUs ageing and related support are mentioned as reasons for not being officially supported, but that can be bypassed (with some caveats)
If I used Windows at home (which I abandoned more than one year ago), and my PC was not supported, probably would not upgrade (yet).
Sorry, typo on #2.

I meant, why the processor restrictions if my current machine has TPM 2.0, which it does, if they're the same underneath.

Upgraded one of my PCs, failing to see the point of Win11, no new killer feature, it feels like Win10 apart from some UI changes, some annoying (like making the tabs on the taskbar really small). Could quite easily just have been a patch to Win10.

If you are happy with Win10 then stick with it, you are missing nothing of value.

Back
Top Bottom