Windows 10?

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Building a new workstation as my old i7 isn't really cutting it for some of the work I'm doing lately. Tentatively going with a 10-core Xeon-W.

Info is sketchy but some are saying that Windows 7 doesn't work on Skylake-X architecture or doesn't work well.

What's the verdict on Windows 10? Does it suck like every other MS OS other than XP and 7?

Haven’t used it enough, but in the corporation I work windows 10 is infecting the environment.
I ran sequential batch files on a faster win10 machine and compared it to to my machine which is win7 and for some reason the newer machine is 3 times as slow.

My gut tells me windows 10 is a prettier interface with more clamps and bloat.

I have it (win10) on about 5 machines and have grown to like it almost as much as I liked win7. There are some things it seems better at, a few things you seem to have less control over but is mostly figuring out where everything was moved to just like the previous versions.

( I use it in desktop mode)

I went from XP to 10. No looking back. I've been pretty happy with it. It runs all the development stuff I need (MatLab, VC++, VirtualBox set up with Linux, etc...). My laptop has a 4k screen and I've run into issues with that... Some of my older custom programs don't display correctly even if I change the resolution settings.

Happy camper here
Running Windows in on a 6 year old i7 and a 3.5 year old Dell Precision Laptop
10 seems OK just as XP and 7 were.
Every upgrade brings some improvements.

As far as processors are concerned, you might want to take a look at the AMD Ryzen.

Been on Windows 10 almost 2 years now and no issues. The new GUI takes some getting used to but works well. On newer fast computers I have perceived no speed differences. (I have done 20+ installations over last year and all have been solid)

Only issue I have had is Microsoft forces updates on the OS and the default is an automatic reboot which has happened at some very inopportune times. If you Google Win 10 update schedule they have recently allowed a manual update option which allows more control on when the OS updates and reboots. I think you can even disable the updates now which was not available on early versions.

Last edited:
I replaced my 12-core late 2013 Mac Pro with a custom built PC. While the overall usability isn't nearly as enjoyable (with the PC I feel like I'm using a PC, whereas with the Mac I just do what I need to do), the PC is much snappier than the Mac was. To me W10-64 is a much prettier, more current version of W7.

My system specs:
i9-7900x 10 core (with be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler) | MSI X299 XPOWER GAMING AC | 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800 | Asus GTX1080ti Strix | Samsung m.2 950 512GB | 2x Samsung 850 1TB in RAID0 | 2x WD Black 5TB in RAID0 | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 power supply | Corsair 600Q case | RME UFX | Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Just moved most of my household over to 10. So far the annoyances are minor, and I've been amazed by the hardware support. Some old junk that I was sure was headed for the scrap heap was recognized immediately and is running perfectly. Example: I have a computer with an M-Audio Firewire 410. The hardware has been abandoned by the manufacturer and there are no drivers on their web site. Comes right up in Windows 10 and is working just fine.

there are a few tweaks that have to be done right from the start, but once that's done it's a pretty smooth OS. by far my favourite one. XP was good as well but obviously pretty dated compared to 10. haven't really had any issues (knock on wood). privacy tweaks etc are well documented on the net...

It's definitely better than Win 8!

I think XP and 7 were the best versions overall. Hated 8!

One thing that makes me a bit irritated is a feature I use a lot at work, which is the Start menu search. It's still there on Win 10, but there is no input/dialog box to type in what you are searching for - you just click Start and then start typing. So dumb!

Dunno about Skylake and different Windows versions' compatibility, but it's my impression from various performance test results that 10 performs as well as any other version of Windows if not better. Seems to be the consensus among PC enthusiasts. If something runs slower on it, probably the software has a compatibility issue rather than anything else.

Its UI can be frustrating, but things make sense and is more forgiving when you remember it was developed to incorporate touchscreen functionality. Win+x is my favorite new shortcut.

It's definitely better than Win 8!

I think XP and 7 were the best versions overall. Hated 8!

One thing that makes me a bit irritated is a feature I use a lot at work, which is the Start menu search. It's still there on Win 10, but there is no input/dialog box to type in what you are searching for - you just click Start and then start typing. So dumb!

I've always said that if Microsoft designed automobiles each revision would not only move common controls around but they'd also rename them. "And for our new 2020 model the accelerator peal has been renamed to "brake" and we moved it out of the drivers way by relocating it to the back floorboard." "We also felt the Turn Signal arm was crowding the dash board so you now open the sun roof and click the antenna in the direction that you intend to turn.".

And back on topic, I installed 10 kicking and screaming in protest. But in all honesty, after reinstalling my software and hardware I've been happy with it.

Last edited:
I just installed it a couple of days ago. Make sure you disable automatic updates!
Make sure you don't! Monetisation of automated cyber attacks is on the rise and the basic ground to not be the next ransomware/whatever victim is to install the updates.
Turning on the brain is also pretty good :) (not referring to levipeto here)

In my opinion, if you go through all the settings and disable the stuff you don't use, Win10 is pretty solid. Not my cup of tea, but I run it in some of my VMs.

I've been using 10 at home and work since the betas, I really like it. It's come on along way since the first release and I find it good for audio work and trouble free. They've moved to a faster patching cycle so you're very rarely waiting ages for a fix and it's removed the big bang upgrade approach.

There's no point sticking on XP or 7 anymore imho.

You may want to disable cortana and some of the externaious crap that always some with a Windows OS but it feel much more refined to me.

If your software allows then you could try Server 2016 which comes with minimal everything out of the box.

I suggest to install Classic Shell which is a Win7-like start menu. That way I miss almost nothing I got used to before.
http://www.classicshell.net
Recently the project was updated and released under open source (MIT license)

EDIT: and disable every option in the privacy settings right after installation.
EDIT2: Don't create a Microsoft (cloud) account during installation. You don't have to so, but Microsoft is pushing you that direction on every third installation dialog.

Last edited:
I use 10 everyday and find it great.
Currently supporting over 500 clients running win10 too, no issues. Now is a good time to upgrade with your new PC

EDIT: and disable every option in the privacy settings right after installation.
EDIT2: Don't create a Microsoft (cloud) account during installation. You don't have to so, but Microsoft is pushing you that direction on every third installation dialog.

+1!

Back
Top Bottom