Windows 10?

Great OS, I've been using it for quite a while on 5 different computers, two of them used in performing live, has been rock solid for me, almost no issues. Auto updates are on.

It's especially rewarding if you come with an open mind and don't try to make an XP out of it. Some things here are just great - the File History backup, the new OneDrive experience is cool. Cortana is also great (not because you can talk to it, that's stupid, but because you can type, it makes search and things like setting reminders way more sensible). And so on.

I have yet to encounter any hardware problems with it. In fact, it's been way better than Mac OS in this regard.

Windows 10 here for all my computers, including my DAW, and no issues.

I agree it is better than Win 8.

Coming from XP or Win7 if you are running some really old software, you might be in trouble with compatibility. But I've found Win 10 to be more forgiving than 8 in regards to driver updates etc.

I really like Windows 10 and have it on both my machines. Rock solid stability and performance. The only gripe i have is that they still haven't completely committed to a new UI paradigm. It's still kind of a mishmash of 7 and 8 (my start menu doesn't need fucking live tiles) but other than that I really like it.

I have Win 10 running on two machines. It’s stable and efficient. My chief complaint is that it’s the culmination of a steady trend since XP: ever-increasing spyware. More hooks into your flesh. There’s a reason why Microsoft walked away from billions in revenue by distributing Win10 for free.

There are well-known things you should do to mitigate the more egregious intrusions. But if you want a truly stand-alone computer, roll back to XP or switch to Linux.

Building a new workstation as my old i7 isn't really cutting it for some of the work I'm doing lately. Tentatively going with a 10-core Xeon-W.

Info is sketchy but some are saying that Windows 7 doesn't work on Skylake-X architecture or doesn't work well.

What's the verdict on Windows 10? Does it suck like every other MS OS other than XP and 7?

Very similar to 7 I would say. No real complaints here other than the spying shit and it reminding you to use "Edge" instead of chrome.

For dev work, I use https://chocolatey.org/ and http://cmder.net/ for a much less annoying experience, especially if you are used to command line flow of linux distros.
I use https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/ as an IDE since their C++14/17 support is top notch.

I went to Windows 10 for my i7 gaming computer simply because I had to for the Oculus Rift. I prefer Windows 7, and spent a great deal of time making 10 look and act like 7.

I've had no performance issues with 10, but I don't like being an OS forcing updates (even though 10 now lets you schedule them to an extent). I hate the Metro interface, the intrusive default privacy settings, and Cortana.

If there is no compelling requirement for 10, I'd stick with 7 any day. For audio/video, I still use 7 with a dual Xeon machine (16 cores). Honestly, the latest and greatest i7 can beat my dual Xeon in some instances, but I'm using the old E5-2670.

Last edited:
Overall, 7 seemed to have less bloat. And I spent an hour+ last night repairing my wife's Win10 laptop, because (I believe) an MS update burped and rendered the boot device inaccessible.

When I built my last system, a few years back, I found this thread helpful: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Of course, the thread become endlessly bloated since then; you have to filter out the clueless 90% from the relevant 10%, etc. But it was generally useful in ID'ing MB/chipset combos that tended to work for audio v. those that were problems.

IIRC, Tom's Hardware didn't much like Skylake-X's thermal performance - Intel apparently went with thermal paste instead of solder and they were having trouble getting it to not overheat on them. Still beats Ryzen/Threadripper on a instructions-per-clock basis, but Tom's left the impression that they thought Skylake-X had been under-engineered and rushed out the door to compete with the new AMD chips.

In terms of Win 10, I haven't had any particular issues with it. Windows key + r to run stuff is pretty cool. Microsoft's update schedule drives me nuts though - every friggin' week all my computers are bitching that they want to install some new Win 10 mega update that takes 4 reboots.

When my 9 year old Win7 desktop computer died, I replaced with Win10 desktop.

As long as you disable updates & spy stuff and get a bloat free install, it runs most of my programs faster than my Win7 box did, even formerly memory hog stuff like pocessing large audio files with multiple chained mastering VST plugins saw an improvement versus my old Win7 box.

Last edited:
I've been using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit at home since they started offering the free upgrade and have had no issues. The UI is a little different, but familiar enough to not be too irritating. So far the transition to 10 has been the easiest OS change I've done with Microsoft.

I would caution against completely disabling updates if the PC is going to have internet access. Yes they can be a pain in the butt, but not keeping up to date on patches is one of the biggest reasons people's machines get malware or hacked. The larger installs like the recent Fall Creators Update can take a while, but the normal security related patches are fairly painless like with Windows 7. Windows 10 does give you a lot of options to control the update process too.

not keeping up to date on patches is one of the biggest reasons people's machines get malware or hacked

That, and you also get features. Which you don't really know if you need or not because you deny to try them in the first place.

Why do so many people seem hell bent on disabling updates?
Because updates serve two purposes: they provide fixes and security enhancements, and they increase penetration into your personal space. That’s not just a Microsoft thing. It happens across the GoogAppleSoft human-information-trafficking marketplace and beyond that.

In today’s shifting threat landscape, updates are a necessity. GoogAppleSoft knows that, so they toss in additional information-harvesting hooks.

Here’s an exercise that’ll keep you up at night:

Starting with privacy policies and end-user licensing agreements, and proceeding through the web of “trusted partners,” enumerate all the organizations that have free access to your laptop’s or phone’s camera and microphone because you clicked “I agree.”

Then consider what it means for someone to have remote access to a camera and microphone that you carry with you all the time.

Last edited:
"So you've been using Windows since 3.1 and feel pretty comfortable, huh? That's interesting. Feel like you know your way around, do you? F*&k you, here's Windows 10." -Microsoft

Why do so many people seem hell bent on disabling updates?

Because unlike with previous windows versions, Windows 10 updates automatically and forces you to restart when IT decides IT wants too, not when YOU want it too. In previous versions you could set it to update manually, or when you were about shut it down. All fine and dandy. No more in Windows 10. Almost every user decision has been taken out of the picture. Well, you can set it to update at a certain time less to your inconvenience. But nothing calls for a giant f*** you Micro$oft, you pieces of s***! when you're doing something fun when you suddenly get a message to close everything down, because Windows 10 has to update and restart. After which you can't do anything for who knows how long. You experience that once, maybe twice, and then you start hitting google to find ways to stop this from happening the next time. I'm all fine for updating my computer, and I fully understand that security updates need to be installed to fix security leaks, but I want to be in control of when and where it gets done. Not Micro$oft, not Windows 10.

Easiest fix though is to designate your wifi network as a paid for network. After which Windows 10 will not use that wifi network to download updates.

Back
Top Bottom