Windows 10 USB audio stops

AlbertA

Fractal Fanatic
Occasionally I've seen my USB audio through the Axe-FX III stop working - both ASIO and windows audio.

I think the most reliable way I've found to reproduce this is just leaving the Axe-Fx III on overnight but occasionally it happens within hours (hours from first turning on the Axe-Fx III).

When the issue does happen, in the Axe-Fx III utilities->USB I can see the USB Input buffer level bar moving, but the USB Output bar is completely empty and does not move.
I can get audio back by restarting the Axe-Fx III, but It seems I have to restart the Axe-Fx III twice for some reason to regain audio output again (I'm guessing going through USB enumeration twice makes the windows software stack get unstuck from the previous hang/stop?)

Some system info:
USB selective suspend setting is "Disabled"
Windows 10 Pro, 2004, build 19041.572 (though it has happened with older builds as well).
USB ver 1.08
Firmware 14.04 (though it happened with older FW's too)
USB Windows Driver Version 4.86

Any ideas? Has anyone seen this on their systems? I've seen some posts here and there sort of mentioning this issue no?

Last edited:
I'm seeing this more I believe with 14.1

I have been seeing it off and on ever since getting my axe way back in April.

Power cycling the axe seems to resolve it for me but still frustrating.

I seem to get it once every 2-3 days and I'm on usb audio on the device daily for 8-12 hrs

Not sure if " USB selective suspend setting " achieves the same result but wouldn't hurt to check;

Device Manager>expand USB Serial Bus Controllers.
Double click 1st controller & select power management tab. Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Click OK
Repeat for each USB Hub entry.

Last edited:
I am also having this issue on Windows 10. Axe-Edit works fine and Windows shows the Axe-Fx as an audio device. However, USB audio quits working. Power cycling the Axe-Fx clears it up. But I usually have to do this a few times a day. Currently on FW 14.04.

Not sure if " USB selective suspend setting " achieves the same result but wouldn't hurt to check;

Double click 1st controller & select power management tab. Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Click OK

I'm giving this a shot. I have a usb kvm I'm using for my keyboard/mouse and also notice that anything connected to it will drop for a second and reconnect. This happens several times a day. In checking device manager my Bus Controllers were set to allow windows to turn off to save power. I unchecked them all and hoping this resolves the issue. Otherwise, my hatred for windows grows even more!

I've experienced this same thing recently. I've been rebooting my laptop to solve it. Sure glad it has SSDs. I'm going to try the Device Manager setting above to see if that eliminates it.

Thanks for the pointer - I disabled it only for the root hub that the Axe-Fx III is connected to.
I'll report back to see if it made a difference.

I tried the fix supplied by @Zedhed a while back but it happens to me still. I only leave my Axe-Fx III powered on when I am playing. When I power it back on, I sometimes still lose the ability to play backing tracks via YouTube, VLC etc or audio from GuitarPro and the like. I found that unplugging the USB from the back of the Axe-Fx III and re-inserting does restore the audio for me however.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing this issue too. In fact I can't get windows audio at all anymore. I chalked it up to disassembling my entire setup when I moved.

I just updated from FW 13 to 14 and that didn't fix anything. I think windows 2004 is a more likely culprit.

Edit: Was having a bad USB port issue.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have done Zedhed's fix as well, drivers etc. At this point I am just living with it.

Updating my comment. I may have a different issue. I can't get USB audio out of windows for anything. I haven't had much time to play lately so I chalked it up to user error when reassembling my computer desk but now I'm not so sure.

Things I've tried:
Two separate USB cables straight into PC.
Updating to 14.04
Reinstalled FAS drivers
Reinstalled USB Firmware
Restarting computer and Axe-FX.
Axe FX is availible and selected as my output device in windows. I just get zero sound out of it.

Occasionally I've seen my USB audio through the Axe-FX III stop working - both ASIO and windows audio.

I think the most reliable way I've found to reproduce this is just leaving the Axe-Fx III on overnight but occasionally it happens within hours (hours from first turning on the Axe-Fx III).

When the issue does happen, in the Axe-Fx III utilities->USB I can see the USB Input buffer level bar moving, but the USB Output bar is completely empty and does not move.
I can get audio back by restarting the Axe-Fx III, but It seems I have to restart the Axe-Fx III twice for some reason to regain audio output again (I'm guessing going through USB enumeration twice makes the windows software stack get unstuck from the previous hang/stop?)

Some system info:
USB selective suspend setting is "Disabled"
Windows 10 Pro, 2004, build 19041.572 (though it has happened with older builds as well).
USB ver 1.08
Firmware 14.04 (though it happened with older FW's too)
USB Windows Driver Version 4.86

Any ideas? Has anyone seen this on their systems? I've seen some posts here and there sort of mentioning this issue no?

I have the same problem with iMac 2020

Captura de Tela 2020-10-31 às 05.25.32.png

Back
Top Bottom