Windows 10 to use/recognize the AX3's Input USB Block (5/6, 7/8) through the OS as an output

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
I know Reaper, DAW's recognizes the AX3's usb input blocks

Searching the forums MAC users don't seem to have a problem doing what I wish to do

I'm wishing the AX3 would let windows see that it has the USB Input 5/6, 7/8 as a viable output to use through the block chain

I know you can just hard wire a computer's line out to the AX3's input 2/3/4 , I wish to see it done digitally to relieve some possible noise from the mentioned method and not have to use the the physical inputs of the AX3

Its a Windows issue. You need to use a DAW or put a thumb up on my wishlist :

forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/more-flexibility-with-usb-out-1-2.161091/

I may be wrong but I suspect this is a Windows issue, not an Axe Fx driver issue.

I've seen it done with audio interfaces on Windows. Each stereo pair of the audio interface shows up in the sound control panel as a separate device. That said, I don't know what issues are particular to the AxeFX. Realistically though, I'm not sure this is a priority use case since people will typically be working within a DAW , or working with live audio, when they want to run audio through the AxeFX processing chain.

There are faulty assumptions about the capabilities of FX-USB driver and Windows on the run.

If you configure Windows correctly you have 8 USB channels for use.

That's how it goes:
  1. Open "Sound"
  2. Right click on the device "AXE FX III"
  3. choose "configure speaker"
  4. choose "7.1 Surround"
Now you have 8 audio channels.
1588183101604.png
select 7.1 surround
1588183143177.png
choose all speakers as full-range speakers
1588183162020.png

The screenshots are in german language, but I expect you can follow the path even if you don't speak german. ;)

NOT a win 10 issue at all. ALL of my Echo Layla 3G i\o (10 of them) show up in Win 10 sound control panel.Same for my octacapture. Sorry, but It's not win 10. It's a matter of the user knowing what to do. Sorry, but that's the truth. Also, nothing wrong with someone not knowing that.

There are faulty assumptions about the capabilities of FX-USB driver and Windows on the run.

If you configure Windows correctly you have 8 USB channels for use.

That's how it goes:
  1. Open "Sound"
  2. Right click on the device "AXE FX III"
  3. choose "configure speaker"
  4. choose "7.1 Surround"
Now you have 8 audio channels.
View attachment 66849
select 7.1 surround
View attachment 66850
choose all speakers as full-range speakers
View attachment 66851

The screenshots are in german language, but I expect you can follow the path even if you don't speak german. ;)

I followed that but I still don't see an option from pressing the volume icon on the bottom right corner, it still gives me just one option

"Speakers(AXE FX III)"

Using this method, can you yourself, route the Windows 10 Audio ( audio source coming from a google chrome tab or windows media player)

from choosing the option on the volume icon of Windows 10 as the AXE FX III

then on AX3, edit use the 'Input USB' block to route the windows audio through the block chain on the ax3?

With AXE-FX III + Driver you have one 8-channel-device.

Windows is not able to route its internal sound through an arbitrary channel of some multi-channel devices. Usually only a limited number of ports can be used for internal Windows or WDM sound. I assume this fact may exist on AXE-FX as well.

Usually, you have to use a DAW or a similar program to use all channels or an arbitrary channel of a multi-channel-device. It does not necessarily work with Windows itself stand-alone.

I followed that but I still don't see an option from pressing the volume icon on the bottom right corner, it still gives me just one option

Those instructions won't help you. langohr must have misunderstood what you're asking for. Fulfilling the request you made in your original post would require an update to the driver from Fractal Audio. I have no idea how feasible such an update would be. But I have seen audio interfaces on windows that can do what you're asking for.

Those instructions won't help you. langohr must have misunderstood what you're asking for. Fulfilling the request you made in your original post would require an update to the driver from Fractal Audio. I have no idea how feasible such an update would be. But I have seen audio interfaces on windows that can do what you're asking for.

Yeah I just tried it anyway, just hope Fractal can have a word on this

I may be wrong but I suspect this is a Windows issue, not an Axe Fx driver issue.

The FAS USB driver provides the implementation for WASAPI (or whatever the driver audio api is these days) and ASIO. Their driver only exposes USB 1/2 - so it's not really a windows issue.
Edit: Actually, as @langohr points out above, the driver does expose the 8 channels, but as 1 output device with 8 channels in the typical 7.1 surround-sound configuration. Some programs can access these channels (Reaper for example) through WASAPI, but the windows mixer doesn't let you choose an arbitrary pair in that configuration.

BTW, Windows 10 v1703 and later actually now provide a USB Audio Class 2 driver, however it does not support implicit feedback endpoints like the Axe-Fx II/III use - so we can't use it.

Last edited:
NOT a win 10 issue at all. ALL of my Echo Layla 3G i\o (10 of them) show up in Win 10 sound control panel.Same for my octacapture. Sorry, but It's not win 10. It's a matter of the user knowing what to do. Sorry, but that's the truth. Also, nothing wrong with someone not knowing that.

Not really, the OP is NOT talking about ASIO and a DAW. This is about WASAPI and windows mixer and so on.

With AXE-FX III + Driver you have one 8-channel-device.

Windows is not able to route its internal sound through an arbitrary channel of some multi-channel devices. Usually only a limited number of ports can be used for internal Windows or WDM sound. I assume this fact may exist on AXE-FX as well.

Usually, you have to use a DAW or a similar program to use all channels or an arbitrary channel of a multi-channel-device. It does not necessarily work with Windows itself stand-alone.

Yeah a 8-channel surround setup I may add (as your picture shows) - what OP is requesting is for the driver to advertise 4 stereo output devices to WASAPI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom