Windows 10 Sucks!

The only decent OS I have encountered with Windows was XP. Windows 7 was accepted because it was a rescue mission for Vista. Once I switched to Mac I only use Windows when I'm forced to. For OSX to be able to boot to a remote drive and assume the computer operations of that drive or pull a drive from one computer and put it in another and take off right where you left off is genius IMHO.

I have Windows 10 installed in a VM. In addition to installing Classic Start Menu, I also use and recommend OldNewExplorer, which can do the following in Windows Explorer:
  • Restore libraries / Hide Folders in "This PC"
  • Use Classical Drive Group in "This PC"
  • Restore Details Pane On The Bottom
  • Disable The File Explorer Ribbon
  • Show Status Bar
  • Change Appearance Style (can select Windows 7)
  • Change Status Bar Style

Yep! I recently had to stop using Windows Vista, which I was quite happy with for 10 years, because Microsoft stopped supporting it. I refused to go to 10, so I’m using Windows 7 now, which I believe is still going to be supported for a couple more years.

Here’s a guide to disable the stupid tiles;

https://betanews.com/2016/06/03/disable-windows-10-live-tiles/

You may also want to search for an article on how to shut down all the privacy holes in Windows 10. Here’s one of many;

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-protect-your-privacy

FYI,

I'm on Windows 7. Just got a notice this week that they will stop supporting Win 7 in approximately 9 months!
I'm running it on a desktop & an ASUS laptop.

Now where do I go from here???

I have Windows 10 installed in a VM. In addition to installing Classic Start Menu, I also use and recommend OldNewExplorer, which can do the following in Windows Explorer:
  • Restore libraries / Hide Folders in "This PC"
  • Use Classical Drive Group in "This PC"
  • Restore Details Pane On The Bottom
  • Disable The File Explorer Ribbon
  • Show Status Bar
  • Change Appearance Style (can select Windows 7)
  • Change Status Bar Style

+1 ^ this
Classic shell mang

Wow, what a steaming pile of garbage. Who the heck designed the UI?

1. No consistency between windows. There's no standard resources.
2. Almost nonexistent borders on windows. With a trackpad it's almost impossible to resize a window.
3. In some programs, i.e. Office, the scroll bar disappears after a couple seconds. Who tf came up with this brilliant idea? It just disappears and leaves a white column. How is that a good idea?
4. Start menu sucks.
5. No classic theme and apparently no way to install one.

The whole thing looks like it was designed by a group of stoned hipsters at a weekend retreat and implemented by a bunch of outsourced first-year grads.

I haven't been this disappointed in a version of Windows since Windows ME.
http://www.classicshell.net/ I use 'classic shell' classic start menu! its great. I cant stand Apple. Especially I tunes, non intuitive, erases half my things, stupid playlists, can barely get stuff on my phone, wants to resync.

Been running Win10 since the final RC build having done an in-place upgrade (when MS let you) from Win7.
Mine looks and feels like 7- which I've used at work for yrs. For all intensive purposes I feel like I'm running Win7x64 at home, and yes, been using "Classic Start Menu" for yrs.
Recently forced to re-image work laptop to upgrade to the "corporate" locked-down version of Win10.
I'm with others on first impressions... ugh.. Cliff's comment about the scroll bars is spot on.. Where the f*k do you place the mouse to find out where it's located? It requires TWO mouse moves to find it and drag.

That said.. mine has run fine without a single BSOD.. EVER!
Yes, I reboot it periodically, but that's "windoze" for ya..

PS: Being an IT guy, I cannot stand the Mac's "child" interface.. :(

Change is hard. Was so used to the older windows it was a brutal switch. We did at work then I did at home, now when I use the older one it feels like a dinosaur. As for the start menu, it needs a re-do, i just end up pinning stuff to the taskbar or searching for everything.

Strange, i feel the exact opposite. Mac is a computer for kids for me...

PS: Being an IT guy, I cannot stand the Mac's "child" interface.. :(

Really? I've done professional dev work in Macs without problem. I would hardly consider it a "kids" computer or interface.

I’ve used all kinds of Os interfaces in my career, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 7,8,10, OSX, Ubuntu + Unity, Ubuntu + Gnome, Ubuntu + Mutter, RedHat + Gnome, Solaris + CDE, Suse + KDE.

They all have quirks but you adapt. I personally prefer OSX - of all the interfaces I've used it's the most sensible so far IMHO.

Last edited:
I much prefer Windows 7, ..but it looks like they will be discontinuing security updates for that OS pretty-soon. I don’t know how they even get away with calling Windows 10 an improvement over 7.

Because of the discontinuing security update thing, I need to update all my machines at work to 10 this year. Not the expense, it’s that frikkin’ OS which is making me drag my feet on that one.

Shots fired...lol.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm currently on an iMac Pro running Mojave, but I still have a WinPC running 10. It's a big reason I went back to OSX after trying to make do with Windows after Apple abandoned creative users. I've used WinPCs since DOS 5.0 and Win 3.1, so I'm no stranger to their legacy. Windows ME is an OS I'd just as soon forget.

Wow, what a steaming pile of garbage. Who the heck designed the UI?

1. No consistency between windows. There's no standard resources.
2. Almost nonexistent borders on windows. With a trackpad it's almost impossible to resize a window.
3. In some programs, i.e. Office, the scroll bar disappears after a couple seconds. Who tf came up with this brilliant idea? It just disappears and leaves a white column. How is that a good idea?
4. Start menu sucks.
5. No classic theme and apparently no way to install one.

The whole thing looks like it was designed by a group of stoned hipsters at a weekend retreat and implemented by a bunch of outsourced first-year grads.

2. I use a program called "Winsplit Revolution v11.04" where you can use hotkeys to snap windows into your own customized predetermined sized and placements on the screen. Works perfectly fine in Windows 10. I use the following hotkey arrangement:

Ctrl + Alt:

QWE
ASD
ZXC

"Ctrl + Alt + 1" and "Ctrl + Alt + 1" move windows to the next-left and next-right monitor.

The 9-hotkey grid shown above takes the current in-focus window and places it on the screen in the size and placement you pre-alocate. You can also press the same hotkey multiple times to cycle between different window sizes and placements you setup, so for example "Ctrl + Alt + A" can make a window occupy the left half of the screen, but press that button combo again and it takes up the left 1/3rd of the screen, press it again and it takes the left 2/3rds of the screen, etc. I've installed it on my home and work PCs and almost can't use Windows anymore without it.

download link: https://winsplit-revolution.en.softonic.com/

my own hotkeys and window placements:Google Drink Link. To use, save the entire ".export" file and import it from the options menu.

Here's a few examples of hotkey-only windows placements:

4. You could always install Classic Shell to get the Windows 7 start menu: http://www.classicshell.net/

Last edited:
The idea was that Microsoft wanted to foster a common user experience between devices. That resulted in some dumbing down of the desktop interface. Also, the less granularity you give the users, the less insight they have into the information-harvesting machines that all OSes have become.

@FractalAudio : In case you haven’t done this yet, there are some excellent online resources outlining the steps you need to take to plug the gaping privacy holes that come out of the box with Windows 10. Which is why Microsoft walked away from billions of dollars of revenue by giving away Win10 for free.

They also almost force you to use the search to find what you're looking for but it is inconsistent in the results for even the same exact search term

When windows 10 first arrived MS tried to change to an ios style system imo. As mentioned above they said to keep a similar experience across devices, but in reality I think they wanted to control and make money off everyone's software like Apple's app store. They alienated most of the Windows user base and tried to go back toward windows 7, maybe 30% which was better but still sucks.

Back
Top Bottom