Windows 10 Automatic Updates are Baffling and Infuriating

Exactly what wallygator197 said above, we posted at the same time actually!
I have no issues-My PC tells me when an update is available and I have the choice to restart now or later. Not sure why others have so many issues, which I am sure they do, btw.
I'm an old PC tech from the windows 2003 server days so I just use simple.
Am I happy with everything MS does, not even close. But, I live with it because it suits my needs.

That is NOT my experience at all. And I live on my PC...................Not saying you don't have this issue, just sayin"
Systems analyst, programmer, and project manager by trade. Deep dive computer geek going back to when you had to get an 80 column card for the Apple II. I know what I'm doing.

Sometimes Windows will warn prior to the update and let you postpone, the way the feature set purports to work. Sometimes it will just hammer an update in without the courtesy of any notification whatsoever. I absolutely loathe Windows 10....but I have to use it for some software.

For me it was important thing to avoid unexpected reboots i.e. in the middle of online conference call (I was working with it way before pandemia started, experienced that on the other side of the cable), or editing com-licated 3D model... Maybe you missed something in the in configuration, I have no idea... Fact is that all 50 computers in my work domain network, so as my 3 private windows machines and 2 virtualisations are under control and I have to reboot them manually after notification of update.

I’ve never had it automatically reboot from an update. Not in front of my PC right now but there’s options for handling updates in the settings somewhere. Check that out.

Same. I have multiple systems with Windows 10 and never had one reboot on its own after updates. That would really piss me off.

There must be a setting somewhere I would guess…

At some point, MS decided to make it more obvious that you don't really own your copy of Windows. They'll do whatever they want with it, and you just sort of eat that if you keep using Windows.

There are differences in editions of Windows 10. I don't mean pro vs home. I mean, pro vs education vs enterprise, etc. Some have the ability to set group policies that disable updates. Some big company isn't going to want MS dumping some update on a companies network that might break the companies IT policies. If you get an MSDN account, you get tons of keys for all different versions of Windows as well as other products.

Same. I have multiple systems with Windows 10 and never had one reboot on its own after updates. That would really piss me off.

There must be a setting somewhere I would guess…
Me neither. Been using several windows 10 machines since it came out. Has never happened.

I've been using various versions of Outlook for at least 25 years for work. While there are occasional issues or things I've disliked about certain versions, I generally have no real problems.

I'm using it quite often every day and dealing with hundreds of emails a day.

I particularly like the newer (auto indexed) search capabilities, especially given than I have about 20 years worth of archived emails that I often need to search thru to refer to for technical issues I support.

In our environment we use it with Exchange (and now Outlook 365 for a couple years) so I don't know if your use may be affecting your experiences... Typically, the only times I have issues are when the backend (Exchange or network) is having problems, and you can't blame the client in that case.

This is in a very large enterprise (within top 15 of Fortune 500 list) with 10s of thousands of employees all using it.

Not discounting your opinions, just providing a different one.

Have you used gmail's interface in a corporate setting? You know what's it is like when say someone points out something in a movie, or the way a cloud looks or something and you cannot unsee it?

That's how I feel with outlook ATM, I find myself annoyed because I've seen how much better that other paradigm is. But eh... now-a-days, everything is shifting to slack and/of confluence + wikis so the need to search e-mail is not needed as often, so outlook is mainly used for calendaring/meeting scheduling most of the time.

I have no idea what I did right but my updates just ever only install when I restart/shut down the PC and I have W10 Home.

Mobile Outlook is actually not Outlook at all. It’s an acquisition, formerly called Accompli. I actually liked it better that Apple Mail, but a year or so ago Apple updated their Mail and now there’s no reason to use anything else on Apple devices.

That said it’s been well over a decade since I used Exchange. Now that’s the real turd that organizations are nevertheless addicted to. Or at least it used to be, don’t know how it is now.

I share Cliff’s frustrations wrt updates. Once Apple releases something with more than 16GB of RAM, my DAW will be going back to Mac. Windows has a number of of different sound subsystems and they all suck in their own ways. Apple has its shit together when it comes to audio, video, and image processing. Microsoft seems incapable of solving these long standing deficiencies.

Have you used gmail's interface in a corporate setting? You know what's it is like when say someone points out something in a movie, or the way a cloud looks or something and you cannot unsee it?

That's how I feel with outlook ATM, I find myself annoyed because I've seen how much better that other paradigm is. But eh... now-a-days, everything is shifting to slack and/of confluence + wikis so the need to search e-mail is not needed as often, so outlook is mainly used for calendaring/meeting scheduling most of the time.
No... I've been with the same employer since 2000 and there's no option for other tools.

The company has recently made a massive shift towards Agile and has been adopting more modern paradigms, so who knows... But we're fairly heavily invested with Microsoft even with the new stuff: Azure, ADO, Teams, etc

Systems analyst, programmer, and project manager by trade. Deep dive computer geek going back to when you had to get an 80 column card for the Apple II. I know what I'm doing.

Sometimes Windows will warn prior to the update and let you postpone, the way the feature set purports to work. Sometimes it will just hammer an update in without the courtesy of any notification whatsoever. I absolutely loathe Windows 10....but I have to use it for some software.
I am happy you have all that knowledge, impressive. But it does NOT change the fact that I do NOT have that issue EVER and like I said I live on my PC 10 hours a day. I run some heavy games, Photoshop Canvas X and CW, Sound Forge Pro, all the izotope stuff with a zillion VSTS, etc, etc, etc.

Same as many here, have had Windows 10 Pro since it first came out, and have never had it just reboot and update on its own. Whenever it needs to reboot for an update it shows a little red badge in the system tray letting me know there is one ready.

I start my day with checking for updates so I do not get interrupted later. Experienced users can set a policy to stop the updates like what is implemented on corporate PCs. It is annoying.

I'm not a OS expert but I know my way around a Windows machine and I've been using and building computers since the first PCs.

I have two PCs running the exact same version of WIndows 10 for Workstations. Installed from the same binary image. One of them spontaneously updates and reboots without warning. The other pops up a notification asking when to reboot and then ignores the selected time.

I shouldn't have to dick around with group policies or settings for something this basic. Tell me that updates are available, ask when to perform the update and then honor that selection. JFC, a 10-year old could write that script.

LOL, this workstation (the one that notified and asked about when to update) spontaneously updated and rebooted sometime overnight without warning. Fortunately didn't lose any work but most of my windows are gone.

LOL, this workstation (the one that notified and asked about when to update) spontaneously updated and rebooted sometime overnight without warning. Fortunately didn't lose any work but most of my windows are gone.
They were listening to you I guess.

Ah good ole’ Windows, updating randomly. I’m glad I can control that feature on my Apple devices, but even they are tip toeing up to auto updates. I once had to wait thirty minutes in a meeting while someone’s PC updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on its own.

We have 3 Windows machines in our small company running in network. Two are Windows 10, one is Windows XP used as CNC machine controller. We can't update XP machine to 10 because it's not guaranteed that CNC software would work properly. Also it runs on old HP NX laptop that's indestructible (7 years in dust heavy environment!). Windows 10 machines receive this kind of spontaneous updates and at some point it caused following issues:
1. Each time update is installed network sharing is completely broken between computers and we usually need to redo sharing settings on all machines, including mapping of network drives on XP machine
2. XP machine sees and has access to files created only on machine 1 running 10 but not machine 2. If we make g-code file on machine 2 and save it on machine 1 drive (or directly on xp machine drive) xp machine doesn't see it until we copy and paste it with machine 1.
3. Calculator on machine 2 displays only 3 digits. If we input 1000 it displays 1. Both windows 10 machines are used for CAD work so it's very useful to have faulty calculator.
4. At least few times I've been screwed by windows update because although I save stuff, I lose access to undo history when apps get closed and most recent version is not always the right one. I go to sleep in the evening with Rhino open, get back to work in the morning and notice that all apps are closed.

Also it's great when you are in a hurry and want to turn off your computer quickly for whatever reason (like it's a laptop that you want to pack and get on the road) and it installs updates for 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom