Winamp is shutting down. Alternate MP3 Player?

Rich G.

Experienced
According to THIS article, my MP3 player of choice for Windows is shutting down on Dec 20th.

I'm in the process of installing programs on my computer after installing a new SSD. Can someone recommend an alternative MP3 player?... preferably one that is geared towards musicians who need to learn cover songs. I'll need these features:

1. Ability to change Pitch & Speed independently. Something that has finer control than just half steps because not everything is in 440.
  2. Loop a section of song
  3. Create playlists
  4. Graphic EQ

I use transcribe;
1 covered (adjust semitones and cents)
2. it lets you set 10 loops per song
3. don't know what you mean.
4 a lot of bands (did not count)

It is not free, however.

Regards,
Marco

P.S. for a free all in one music player, i recommend foobar.

I use BestPractice for audio...I really like it and it's free.

sshot1_small.png

http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/

For video I use VLC player;

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I use iRehearse ($12), which covers all 4 of your needs. It is one of the few that I've found that incorporates play lists, which I've found to be essential for different set lists/bands. The only limitation is that the EQ is limited to 2 bands - bass and treble. However, it looks like iRehearse Plus ($20) has a 10-band EQ. Now that I've looked at it, I think I may upgrade.

EDIT: I just noticed that iRehearse Plus is for Mac only. :(

That was two years ago :)

I still use it too!
Seriously. It's still around. Even if it does disappear from the internet, your local install won't suddenly stop working. I like Foobar, but I also still have WinAmp on a couple of computers.

I highly recommend foobar2000. It's developed by a guy who used to work on Winamp. If you get the SoundTouch plugin then you can change pitch and speed independently. The only thing I've yet to find support for is looping a section of a song...

I'm pretty sure you can still use the last version of WinAmp if you want to. It's not like they are making it disappear...

It was bought by Yahoo (I believe), and after about a year they decided to stop development. After that it was bought out by a private group who are planning on bringing it back. It's not going anywhere. I've been using it since the 90's.

http://www.winamp.com/

+1 on BestPractice, can drop pitch, fine tune it for songs that didn't really use a tuner, loop etc... free..

Like others have said, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to use Winamp if that's what works for you.

For your first two requirements, I use RiffStation, although as someone else mentioned I'm sure Reaper would also be able to do those tasks.

As far as a music media player and library management, I love MusicBee. I'm extremely anal about how I maintain my music collection and MusicBee has been by far the best thing I've tried. It's very customizable, makes sense for my workflow, and the forums are very helpful. It can also use certain Winamp plugins. Everything else has fallen short for my needs including MediaMonkey, JRiver Media Center, Songbird, iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player, and VLC.

People also mentioned foobar2000. It's ugly as sin out of the box and I'd argue not very friendly for those who need to customize it to work for their needs. I really only use it for very specific things, so as a general music program, I'd caution against it unless you're comfortable browsing outdated forum posts, Wikis, etc. to get it to work how you want it. I'm not saying that it's bad, you just have to put in more work than with other programs.

YMMV

MediaMonkey and Foobar are both good products. Foobar is fully customisable and you can even load VST audio plugins. MediaMonkey looks nicer and has good tag and album art working indexing features.

Back
Top Bottom