Win 10x64 Laptop or tablet, prefer tablet or 2 in 1 for VST playback?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
First, please, WINDOWS. Lets not have the same old win vs Mac argument please. I am asking for advice.
Also, one person gig type stuff with backing tracks.
I have 2 choices-
\1> convert all midi files with VSTS to audio (easy but has limitations.
2. Use VSTS and out put as audio (my preference)
Reason being, depending on the venue, maybe I want to turn the drums off. Or change the Keyboard to an organ instead of piano. I use to do this long ago in a far away land-Florida and NY. I could even change the key during a break if some young lady wanted to sing. Whatever.

I have an Asus laptop, 2014. It is an I7 with tons of storage and SSD OS drive. win 10 x64.
Has the headphone out jack only. Audio (wave\mp3) sound OK thru it into my PA. But Midis using VSTS not so much.
Is there something I can buy to fix this? I am guessing it is NOT converting the midi vsts to audio correctly or quick enough.
Hope this all makes sense.

Without knowing too much I'd still go for a laptop over a tablet cause I want something with at minimal 3 USB ports. I got a cool tablet that performance wise is nice, but with only 1 USB port its a friggin' nightmare. And I need at least one for a USB mouse, cause me and those mouse pads on laptops don't go together worth shit.

It doesn't have to be either/or. You can have both midi and audio tracks. Use midi and virtual instruments with plugins under normal circumstances. However, pre-render audio versions of the tracks just in case you run into plugin problems at the venue.

Both great points. I did check the website of a guy from the old cakewalk forums. Jim Roseberry (sp?) Studiocat -Purrfect Audio. He builds great PCs and laptops for Audio stuff. Really knows his stuff. So helpful on the daw forums. But I don't need to do any audio\daw work on the laptop-just playback.
Thanks again for the "good" advice.

Last edited:
Well, found a short term solution. I have the Boss JS-10. It sits in my LR and I usually play thru it when watching a football game, etc.

Anyway, It does play wave and mp3 files. Waves are Cd quality only 44.1\16 and MP3 are 64\320. High for an MP3.

It also has footswitch inputs. I can use a FS-5U for Start\stop. It also reads from SD card or usb. I can load the songs, in sets into the JS-10 also.

so for now, that will be it while I search for my next laptop..........Sounds fine. Export my Midi projects using VSTS and then final output thru Ozone 9 Advanced. Not too bad for the small stuff I will do

Back
Top Bottom