• Within a couple months of it's release

Votes: 81 11.8%
  • Within the year

Votes: 118 17.3%
  • More then a year

Votes: 95 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sold my Ultra today and only lost $100 so i cant complain at all..but waiting for the new ones will be torment!!

Where are you guys finding buyers? I had my Ultra listed on eBay for $1,700 and it ended without a bid. Also have it listed locally on craigslist.

Torn

If the patches took hundreds of hours to create, it sounds like you spent a lot of time tweaking to get the sound just the way you wanted. I don't see how a porting tool would help with that, since the ported patches are not going to sound exactly the same. So far the reports are that it is significantly easier and faster to get good sounds with the FX II, although I don't know if that helps much if you are trying to duplicate exact sounds.

If a translator were created that would duplicate the grid layout and insert the correct amp models and effects types, that would probably suffice. I just don't want to start *completely* from scratch.

It's also difficult for me to believe that the amp models in the II are significantly better, BUT, *I have not heard the II* so I'll reserve judgement. But my ears are unable to tell the Ultra models from real amps, so I have to wonder whether there is really a significant (clearly audible) improvement in the II.

I don't know, but I'm looking forward to at least hearing the II so I can judge for myself. But if there isn't a clearly audible difference in the amp tones I'll almost surely wait. I'm not even close to the patch limit of the Ultra and I'm not GASing for any new models.

Reading about the "new" tube models now being accurate, does that imply the tube models in the Ultra are not accurate? They sound accurate to me, but I don't have the luxury of side by side comparisons with the actual amps. I recall reading an article or interview where Cliff talked about collecting tubes and determining their transfer functions during developement of the original models and it was described as a relatively routine process. I have to wonder "what is missing from the tube models in the Ultra and Standard that makes the AXE II sound superior?"

I've found that modifying the transfer functions of the tubes in Peavey ReValver can make an amp model sound better than the "accurate" tube models. There's a "soft clip" parameter that changes the character of the distortion and makes it extremely touch sensitive and dynamically responsive, with no "fizz" whatsoever, and with a distortion that dissapears so gradually as the strings decay that it's impossible to tell when the distortion stops and the clean begins, just like a good tube amp should. The program says the parameter "changes the way the tube clips when driven hard".

Peavey claims their circuit models are over 90% accurate and include the preamp, tonestack, phase inverter, power amp, output transformer, power transformer sag, etc. etc. etc. including the tubes, resistors, caps, transformers, etc. that make up the circuits. They also claim they intentionally changed some of the circuits to improve the sound over the original circuit.

I'm not saying all this is true, just repeating what Peavey claims. I have experimented extensively with the program now and some of the tones rival real amps as well as the AXE-FX IMHO.

The downside is it's not suitable for live performance, there are no awesome effects, there is no grid layout for multiple parallel paths, the number of models is limited, it takes a long time to tweak, etc.

The plus side is it's not very expensive for players who don't need or want to play live or get extremely fancy with their patches.

Honestly I'm torn. A patch translator and audibly superior sound would probably open my wallet.

Reactions: dsl
Thanks for the reminder! I just voted, "as soon as it's available." With all of my amps sold (and the Ultra), I'm now playing into my Line 6 JM4!

For me, useability is a major factor. USB connectivity is a big one. Hopefully an upgraded Axe-edit so I can edit the Axe and MFC seamlessly are also huge selling points for me and essentially deal-breakers. I think I'll wait and see what's released

I definitely would like to buy one but probably at least 1-2 years down the road at this point. I've had my Standard this month 2 years ago and am still loving it. It killed my amp GAS but my guitar and other gear(Atomic/power amp) GAS has exhausted my funds for the short future. I'm somewhat jealous of the peeps who get the latest and greatest right away....... :)

I will be traveling to US in August so its confirmed that I will get an Axe FX II at that time! Hope it will be in stock. Really Really waiting for the day I put my hands on this box! :)

My Ultra is packed and ready to be shipped to the new owner tomorrow. Do not mess with me Cliff !! You got that?? lol

Just pm/email me 10 minutes before going live. You da man!!(but only if you don't mess up).

I will buy the Axe Fx II within two months [as soon as available?]

Also want the FAS MIDI Controller but will probably wait for the newer version of that [if I understood another post recently? There is a newer version expected fairly soon, is that correct?]

Hoping the new/improved Axe-Edit will be released at or very soon after the II is shipping. As I have no former experience with an Axe-Fx of any model the Axe-Edit would probably be a big help to me.

Thanks to all at FAS and this forum for both the product and experienced advice and opinions.

I will buy the Axe Fx II within two months [as soon as available?]

Also want the FAS MIDI Controller but will probably wait for the newer version of that [if I understood another post recently? There is a newer version expected fairly soon, is that correct?]
Firmware update, I believe... possibly something to do with X/Y switching.

Hoping the new/improved Axe-Edit will be released at or very soon after the II is shipping. As I have no former experience with an Axe-Fx of any model the Axe-Edit would probably be a big help to me.
It looks as though Axe-Edit was being used at the NY Amp Show... so likely, yes.

If you're voting "no" why would you be in the Axe II forum in the first place, let alone be voting on this thread? :)

I think a "No" vote is done by abstaining from voting. WHich agrees with your Why are you in this forum, and this thread

But, the reasons for a no are two-fold that I can think of.

1) I love my standard. I have all the patches perfectly dialed in. I don't have the time to re-dial in tones due to my hectic touring schedule or work and weekend warrior gigs and family schedule. I am completely happy with the tones, and while the new features are great and sound good it doesn't fit into my life right now.
2) I love my Ultra. I have all the ......<same as above>

haha.

I was going to dive in and get rid of the Ultra in favour of the Axe 2 but based on the demos and clips currently available, I've decided against it. Only the tape delay has impressed, the rest sound the same as the Ultra but I would miss a headphone socket. If it's true (?) that a 14 day trial period with the Axe 2 exists, I'll go for that and A/B the hell out of them both and then decide and get a true reflection for myself. To date there's no dedicated "compare function/ button" on the Axe 2 either (nor even a response from Fractal in a thread I posted a few days ago re; the same), which is another reason not to dive in.

Back
Top Bottom