• Within a couple months of it's release

Votes: 81 11.8%
  • Within the year

Votes: 118 17.3%
  • More then a year

Votes: 95 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had my Axe-FX Ultra for about 3 years and have been thinking about going back to a valve amp rig. Until and unless I have reason to believe the Axe II makes it easier to dial in the feel of a valve amp in the room and get controllable feedback when I want it from an onstage FR monitor (which are major bugbears for me at the moment) I see no immediate reason to trade up.

I've had my ultra for 2 months but have put my name down for the axe 2. Once the axe2 arrives I'll sell the ultra.
I reckon because there's so much learning in these things that I may as well learn on the new unit which I'll have for years.

I for one am delighted with my Ultra. I've never been happier with my tone. And I've just barely scratched the surface of what the thing can do. And although I would have preferred that it had USB and headphone jacks like the AxeII I will continue to use and enjoy my Ultra. I don't feel the need to upgrade any time soon... if ever.

As soon as I can put one in the cart, it's mine. Trying to sell off some non-Fractal gear as well so I can keep my Ultra as a backup.

I will wait over a year. This will sort out any issues that will inevitably arise. Also, this will give enough time for me to see if an Axe FX II Ultra will come out, which I suspect is on the cards. For now, my own ultra is programmed very sweetly for me, and I have no reason to change.

I had an Axe-Fx Standard and sold it with the idea of buying an Ultra .. that was 2 years ago ..... I have missed my Axe-Fx every day since. I was watching for availability of an Ultra when this all happened. Nice timing for me ... for once :D

Jim

I've had my Axe-FX Ultra for about 3 years and have been thinking about going back to a valve amp rig. Until and unless I have reason to believe the Axe II makes it easier to dial in the feel of a valve amp in the room and get controllable feedback when I want it from an onstage FR monitor (which are major bugbears for me at the moment) I see no immediate reason to trade up.

Exactly this, except i did go back to valve amps... used axefx for effects only.

I've had an Ultra for about a year and a half. Completely happy with it. I'm waiting to see how the MFC-101 upgrades work out and how it will interface with the Axe II.

An Axe II and MFC-101 purchase would be right at $3k. Pretty steep chunk of change. But if I start slingin' change into my piggy-bank I could probably swing one by this time next year.

I think I'll keep the Ultra. I've got two boys comin' up and they are starting to play music. Plus havin' two Axe FX's around would be really sweet.

Still happy with the Ultra?
Sure.
Why buy the Axe-fx II then?
As a way to thank Cliff for the numerous free firmware updates and stellar support.
That's why.

I joined this forum just so I could put my vote in!

Timing couldn't be better for me - I was REALLY close to buying an Ultra off eBay after waiting several weeks for it to come in stock on the Yahoo! website (makes sense now).

I have the $$$ ready to go and just waiting on the gates to open, so to speak!

I'm incredibly excited about this and hope there are plenty of units available for the first wave of customers!

I have been an Ultra user for 3 years and I love the thing. And actually, I see no reason to sell it but that doesn't stop me from buying the Axe-FX II as well, ha! I'd love to have one of them that can stay in one place and the other to take around. Besides, if the II can do the things Cliff has listed, oh man, I am definitely gonna buy one when the money permits.

I did not vote since there was no category I identified with. Being a techie and early adopter with the money available, I could get one as soon as they are available. However, I'm quite happy where I'm at with my Standard so I will take a wait and see approach. I don't personally need or want updates or support, although updates are always fun. Time will tell if there is any personal advantage to motivate me.

enjoy

I totally agree. My Standard does everything I need for now, so I'll just sit back and watch the show. It will be interesting when the reviews of the new unit start flowing in. More importantly, let's see if the sound clips of the new unit sound superior to the Standard and Ultra, and whether it would justify the higher price. I think, even the Standard gives you enough tools to mold a perfect tone, and it's more in the hands of the user, than a limitation of the gear. If a user couldn't get a great tone out of a Standard or Ultra, they're probably not going to do much better with the new unit.

Last edited:
I totally agree. My Standard does everything I need for now, so I'll just sit back and watch the show. It will be interesting when the reviews of the new unit start flowing in. More importantly, let's see if the sound clips of the new unit sound superior to the Standard and Ultra, and whether it would justify the higher price. I think, even the Standard gives you enough tools to mold a perfect tone, and it's more in the hands of the user, than a limitation of the gear. If a user couldn't get a great tone out of a Standard or Ultra, they're probably not going to do much better with the new unit.

Cliff, ScottPeterson and others have stated it's easier to craft a nice tone out of this than the previous models. This would be a huge reason to get the newer unit or upgrade to it.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ii-vs-ultra-has-anybody-actually-heard-6.html

I'll probably buy it in a year or so, if I start playing live. Being a strictly studio musician at the moment, my Ultra is all I'll ever need for recording purposes.

Back
Top Bottom