Will this work? Pedalboard Questions

ChainOfThought

Experienced
So I'm starting to plan out a pedalboard for my ax8 and I have a couple ideas that I'm not sure about. On the board I want the AX8, EV-1, a mini-expression knob & a single button switch with LED.

This
http://this1smyne.com/shop/r2e2/
This one looks great, a 2nd extra footswitch is never a bad thing. If I get the version that has a single TRS out, latching switches and LED's, everything should work appropriately if I use a TRS-Y cable right?

Or That
http://this1smyne.com/shop/mfe/
This would be the other option for the 1-button, although I'm not certain which of the options would work best for the Ax8.

Plus this
http://this1smyne.com/shop/me-mini-expression-pedal/
This one seems like a no-brainer, I've seen someone on the board with one, really nothing to it. I would just check the pot value of the EV-1, match that and go. MIGHT make it a double expression, but I'm not really sure what I would use a second knob for.

And a cabling question
Beyond all that, I run a stereo poweramp with a 2x12 on each side. I have to run L/R outs from the AX8 in order to use both cabs. I would really like to eliminate one of those cables so I only have one audio cable and one power cable from the stack to the floor. Could I use a 1/4 stereo jack mounted on the board with the back-side hardwired to a y-cable running to the L/R outs to combine the two long cables down to a single TRS cable? On the poweramp side use a 1/4 stereo female to 1/4 male dual mono adapter. Would this introduce any issues with noise or signal loss or any of those sort of things? I would probably use a 15-20' cable for flexibility.

Don't expect the LEDs on outboard switches to stay in sync with what's going on in the AX8. The LED would need to be controlled by the AX8, and there's no mechanism to make that happen.

There's no need for an MFE. You can duplicate that functionality inside the AX8 using just a plain old switch.

Your stereo cabling idea should work fine, and in a live situation, it shouldn't be audibly different from using two cables.

Yea luckily with the LED situation I don't do much changing of presets. I use a kitchen sink style and stick with it, only changing if I'm tweaking tones or get bored and decide to use something else. I think for my particular use case they'll stay in sync, just not sure if the ax8 will power them.

Granted now I'm already down the rabbit hole of midi solutions... Something to give me a couple switches for things like the boost and also a few buttons for basic looper control. MC6 maybe. Ugh.

The MFE I was only looking at as a regular switch, seemed like some of the options there would function that way rather than as an actual fixed expression. That said, I'm already sold on having that second button so it's a moot point.

Good to know on the trs cable. That will simplify things. Although now I'm thinking it through maybe I should just do two regular mono jacks and run y adapters at both ends so I still have the option of regular stereo or mono connections.

Thanks for the reply

Whether the LEDs stay in sync boils down to what state the switch is in when you start the preset and what state the preset starts in.

Back
Top Bottom