Will there ever be an Ultra Ultra?

guittarzzan

Inspired
...you know, one with a toaster oven?

Seriously, I love the latest firmware and how great this thing sounds direct, but as many of you have noticed, that great sound comes with a little bit more of a cpu price. I'm totally ok with that. I'll take great tone and some basics over mediocre tone and a ton of choices anyday. I was just wondering if maybe down the road...after the axepc and after the floorboard etc that there might be one with even more dsp power that will handle dual amp, cab, delay reverb etc at once.
I use the Axefx mainly for recording with dual amp cab set ups going and have noticed that after having two amps and cabs and a reverb that the cpu starts getting close to max. This isn't a complaint...just curious what you guys think.

guittarzzan said:
...you know, one with a toaster oven?

Seriously, I love the latest firmware and how great this thing sounds direct, but as many of you have noticed, that great sound comes with a little bit more of a cpu price. I'm totally ok with that. I'll take great tone and some basics over mediocre tone and a ton of choices anyday. I was just wondering if maybe down the road...after the axepc and after the floorboard etc that there might be one with even more dsp power that will handle dual amp, cab, delay reverb etc at once.
I use the Axefx mainly for recording with dual amp cab set ups going and have noticed that after having two amps and cabs and a reverb that the cpu starts getting close to max. This isn't a complaint...just curious what you guys think.

I think he is already using their top of dsp and the only way to get more is go multi-processor.

With all the recent updates I started using one amp, one cab (mono hires) and it sounds as good to me as if I use two amps etc. and eliminates days of tweaking because of endless two amp combinations.
I'm not doing that because of cpu issues, but rather because the sound is so good now that I don't see a real point in using two amps any longer (unless I go for two entirely different amps for a certain effect).

VegaBaby said:
With all the recent updates I started using one amp, one cab (mono hires) and it sounds as good to me as if I use two amps etc. and eliminates days of tweaking because of endless two amp combinations.
I'm not doing that because of cpu issues, but rather because the sound is so good now that I don't see a real point in using two amps any longer (unless I go for two entirely different amps for a certain effect).

I agree with you 100%. The recent updates, 7.04 especially, have really made it easier to get great tone with much less work. I'm strictly using it for recording though and sending amp 1 and 2 to seperate tracks. I could do the reamping thing and just use one amp chain at a time, but I haven't messed much with that.
To be completely ridiculous, on the heavier stuff, I'd love to have 4 amp/cab chains going to 4 different tracks at once. It's nice to have that much variety at mix time for different flavors.

cheers.

There will always be a new thing. It's the way things work. Even if it's not an Axe-FX, there will be some new thing that will seem cooler, and better than what you have, because it's new.

The real question is will the Axe-FX do what you want/need it to do in it current state, or at least get you close enough that your happy with it.

For me the answer is a clear and resounding YES! But I'm not you, and you may have wants/needs that I don't.

VegaBaby said:

I've only spent one day using it. so I may revise my opinion, but at the moment, I've come to a similar conclusion. With more than one amp, the tone loses definition, and gets flatter, muddier. With one amp and two cabs, it gains complexity without losing my articulation.

(And on the second day, I found that I like using two whole separate rigs after all: two amps, two cabs, a nice balance.)

For recording, the two amp, seperate path thing is pretty useful. I could see where live, one amp and cab would be plenty. I'm sending each amp to seperate tracks to tweak later if needed.

Less CPU?
My solution: Buy a second Axe-FX ;)...

Seriously, I think I'll buy Standard to increase power of my Ultra.
The Standard in FX-Loop of my Ultra will work on AMPing and some simple fx, and my Ultra for all the incredible special fxs that I need. And more and more because I'm actually using a Nord Modular G2 Engine as multi-fx in my Ultra's Loop. :roll: ... I fall in love about couple Axe/NMG2.

In parallel, I use an Axon (AX10MKII on stage and AX50USB on home-studio) to drive the synth capabilities of my NMG2E.

GREAT RIG for me!!! :mrgreen:

Second, if you need more CPU only to increase the complexity of your FXs on Axe, consider a Nord Modular as a perfect companion of him.

Capabilities of NMG2 are really impressive.

Ho, for example:
With my NMG2E, I can lead any parameter with a sequence of how many bars I'd like.
For one of my patch, I drive the Whammy of Axe from a 4 bars sequence, and my Wah from only 2 bars.
In NMG2, each seq block are 16 steps, and each block can be linked to another one. Virtually, you can have a sequence of 100 bars if NMG2's CPU can support.

You can have two or more sequence in parallel.
One in 16th feel, a second in 8th feel, etc.

And cranberry on top of space cake, each patch of NMG2 have 8 variations recalled by a simple MIDI CC.
It's mean that you can program a patch with all the bars (blocks) you need, tweak them for the intro of your song in Var.1, then tweak them different for all the parts of your song in 7 other variations.

NMG2 has so many other controllers capabilities like LFOs, Envelop detection, shapers, Logical (like CV/Gate, etc.), total Midi implementation, etc...

I said it's the perfect duo.

<fantasy mode>
6/7 inputs fed by a hex-type pickup for Ultra+ processing by string including a pickup IR stage. Pan by string, a noise gate per string, linked/sequenced/synchronized LFO's by string... near-perfect 12-string emulation, the possibilities would be endless... and unlikely.

Intel's upcoming Larrabee could possibly handle the load at a projected 2Teraflops single precision.
</fantasy mode>

[edit] Might as well build it into the guitar and add a digital whammy bar and switchable tunings.

Spawn-X said:
In parallel, I use an Axon (AX10MKII on stage and AX50USB on home-studio) to drive the synth capabilities of my NMG2E.

Hi Spawn-X!

How have you done your settings in your G2 engine to work with AX100mkII? Do you send each string on separate midichannels? If so, did you accomplish this in your G2 engine or have you somehow done some settings in your AX100mkII?
I also have one of each of these two (and hopefully soon an Ultra added to that combination), that I´ve just started to play around with. But it seems that I can´t find the settings of where to get all six strings feeding into the same slot in my G2 engine.

Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread here... just thought that someone else might be interested in this too...

In my dream of the future coming Axe FX, there will be the double of all features of todays Ultra, hexaphonic input and effects, a full blown looper on par with a echoplex, envelope/sequencer features on par with those of G2 engine, morphing capabilities similar as the lexicon vortex, an AI for selfprogramming of superior sounds based on your inputs of keywords of favorite artists/bands, a coffee/tea/beer machine, a microowen, a hologram projector for cool stage lighteffects, karaoke machine with built in auto-tuner, playstation 56 (yes, it would be that version of it when all of above are implemented into Cliffs super machines!). Some of these abovementioned features may not be that necessary though... : D

/mike

Did anyone with an Axon ever experiment with using the CCs to control the parameters on the AFX?
Seems you could get some interesting effects that way. I have an AX100mkI I may have to try this...sometime.

miketheman said:
Hi Spawn-X!

How have you done your settings in your G2 engine to work with AX100mkII? Do you send each string on separate midichannels? If so, did you accomplish this in your G2 engine or have you somehow done some settings in your AX100mkII?
I also have one of each of these two (and hopefully soon an Ultra added to that combination), that I´ve just started to play around with. But it seems that I can´t find the settings of where to get all six strings feeding into the same slot in my G2 engine.

Most of my Axon patches has configured in "Seperate" stringmode, and just a few are in "Common".
For those in Seperate, build some midi filters on one slot of my G2. Complexity of those filters depending on what I'd like to do.

One of the problemS of Axons is the global midi channel is necessary the as as the first string. In a perfect world, Global MIDI Channel would be distinct form the six other one and it could be use as a "performance" as same in the G2 and many other synthesizers. It would be best for midi controls from a MFC like FX1 Axess or others.

But, Seperate or Common mode choice depending on what complexity of use I need. I combine regularly Axon's internal sounds with those of my G2, so, Seperate mode is ususaly the best choice for my own case.

porieux said:
Did anyone with an Axon ever experiment with using the CCs to control the parameters on the AFX?
Seems you could get some interesting effects that way. I have an AX100mkI I may have to try this...sometime.
Yes, I did. But only from the Pickcontrol parameter or the Picksplit function of Axon, because every other controllers can come from the Axe-fx.
For examples:
-Wah/filtereq.
-Modulations Rate (rotary [really lovely], chorus, flanger, phaser/U-vib, auto-wah, tremolo, etc...).
-Reverb/delay amount.
-Drive+volume compensation to play clean to crunch/lead with pick position.
-etc...

But there's a problem. Pickcontrol can send a CC only from one channel. So, in "seperate" mode, it's impossible to use correctly because in this case, pickcontrol is triggered by one and only one string. It's necessary to use "Common" mode or to use picksplits. But not really easy to program.

Other problem is the technology of Axon for pick position recognition. It's not really accurate and sometimes, position is not detected correctly.
But while its tracking is ok, it's a real pleasure to play with it.

Back
Top Bottom