Will there be an Axe Fx 2 Ultra?

No one knows yet. Except maybe Cliff. If you read into the specs of the II it doesn't seem like one would be needed for a while. I doubt you will get an answer as Cliff has stated he won't respond to product inquiries anymore.

Not sure what he could add in the short term to make it Ultra.

For one thing I think it was an oversite not to include a few gigs of flash RAM for storing audio - like loops or even having a scratchpad for musical ideas that you could capture on the fly and then download to a computer or DAW later.
But beyond that I agree that there is not much more one could want in this unit. Also it would cause quite an uproar among the forum dwellers if a new, better unit were to be released anytime soon.

If I where Cliff, I wouldn't want 2 "II"s.

I can imagine, with the three units he currently has, it's going to be a pain to keep up with firmware as it is.

He probably can't wait for the 1's to be full, so he can pare them down to just bug fixing, here, and there.

Although I think this discussion is pointless at this point, I think, of course some day there will be an update for the Axe-Fx II, that's the nature of computers, which the Axe-Fx basically is. Except of course if some day there will be no profit anymore of if Cliff loses interest in creating a successor.

My guess is, the Axe-Fx III comes with a quantum computing guitar processor, a so-called QCGP.

It's not pointless at all if there's one in the near future. $2000 is a lot of money and most would wait for the superior model if they knew it was coming soon.

It's not pointless at all if there's one in the near future. $2000 is a lot of money and most would wait for the superior model if they knew it was coming soon.

Which is exactly why Cliff won't announce it in advance; he knows sales of the current model would completely dry up.

Do you really think Cliff wants to trick us?? Not really, the Ultra is about 6 years old, it was the right time to release a newer version. But if you are afraid of buying the II because there might be a newer version released in few years, you should definitely get a tube amp, because a tube amp never gets old (technically all tube amps are old already :D ), with digital guitar equipment you'll always have an outdated hardware sooner or later. The question is, how long will it take until the II is really outdated. I think it won't be at least in the next 10 years. Look at the Ultra, it's still not really outdated, even the Standard isn't. The II seems to be a hell of a machine, which will be the top of digital guitar equipment for the next years. I don't think other brands will come with something superior in the near future. So just take it and play with it or buy a good tube amp.

Didn't the Axe-ULTRA came out in something like, 2005, or 2004? I think any new model is quite a ways off.
But didn't the Ultra come out pretty quickly on the heels of the Standard? If that's true, then I think that is the concern of the OP.

But didn't the Ultra come out pretty quickly on the heels of the Standard? If that's true, then I think that is the concern of the OP.

But the issue there was that a newer faster, bigger chip was released. This is not the case now. The Axe-II is simply based on 2 of what's in the ULTRA.

You could actually call the new Axe, and Axe-FX Ultra-ULTRA! lol

I think the Ultra was something like a year behind the Standard, and it was an incremental improvement--with a somewhat faster processor and more memory. If you are really concerned about something like that happening too soon after a major product announcement, then you'll probably end up on the sidelines forever, as that information is not available.

We don't know if Cliff wants a higher end product to go with the II and has already laid out a quad-DSP version with an SSD and multi-channel capabilities, or not. Cliff, don't forget the color LCD touch screen, and the Little Walter sim. Especially the Little Walter sim. ;)

I think the Ultra was something like a year behind the Standard, and it was an incremental improvement--with a somewhat faster processor and more memory. If you are really concerned about something like that happening too soon after a major product announcement, then you'll probably end up on the sidelines forever, as that information is not available.

We don't know if Cliff wants a higher end product to go with the II and has already laid out a quad-DSP version with an SSD and multi-channel capabilities, or not. Cliff, don't forget the color LCD touch screen, and the Little Walter sim. Especially the Little Walter sim. ;)

And the little machine that goes PING!

Back
Top Bottom