Will The Stock IR Cabs Be Converted To Ultra Eventually?

darrenw5094

Certified Bug Hunter
We have over a hundred to choose from the internal memory that are Hi Res, but will Fractal convert them and then update them to Ultra sometime in the future?

I'm guessing that is up to Cliff, and so far, I don't recall him saying anything about it.

Iaresee, will we be seeing some Factory patches with the free Ures IR's ?
I for one would like to see how stereo is setup now.

What about my fav's #41 and 44 for rock, #103 for classic rock etc? I will be lost without them.

The stereo thing might be a slight problem with the new Ultra cabs also.

Iaresee, will we be seeing some Factory patches with the free Ures IR's ?
I for one would like to see how stereo is setup now.
I honestly don't know, sorry. Unless they get bundled in to the firmware like the other factory cabs, it'll be tough to build factory patches against them because people will have to have them in exactly the right user slots for things to work right.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it won't be until the eventual Axe FX III that we get stock UR cabs.

I wouldn't say that. I'm sure Cliff will think of a way to extend the factory cabs with some UR cabs.

They can't just replace the existing factory slots with UR equivalents because it'll break patches that use these cabs in low res mode or in stereo CAB block setups.

I wouldn't say that. I'm sure Cliff will think of a way to extend the factory cabs with some UR cabs.

They can't just replace the existing factory slots with UR equivalents because it'll break patches that use these cabs in low res mode or in stereo CAB block setups.

Sorry but I don't get what you are saying.
If you choose to make a stereo Cab block and you choose two UR irs, the Axe will automatically put them in LoRes mode.

You can also run a mono Cab block with a UltraRes cab and choose to use it in Low Res mode.

Sorry but I don't get what you are saying.
If you choose to make a stereo Cab block and you choose two UR irs, the Axe will automatically put them in LoRes mode.

They work but they're not 1:1 equivalent in sound to the non-UR versions. So existing patches with stereo cab blocks that use factory IRs would start sounding different. And then you have the masses out with their pitchforks looking for heads because damn you for changing something!

They work but they're not 1:1 equivalent in sound to the non-UR versions. So existing patches with stereo cab blocks that use factory IRs would start sounding different. And then you have the masses out with their pitchforks looking for heads because damn you for changing something!

Sort of standardized release strategy would imply that when changing major releases, i.e. v12 -> v13 you should expect things to change. And when changing minor releases v13.0 -> v13.0.2, you should expect that things doesn’t change in terms of overall sound, only that fixes has been made to existing things. So if you’re worried about things changing you need to be careful when changing major releases.

Cliff has said that the current captures are not good enough for UR IR’s and that they have booked some time in a studio to shoot new ones. I haven’t seen anything if they are planning to release updates to existing factory installed IR’s or if the updated IR’s will only be released as updated or new Cab Packs.

But if Cliff decides to change the factory cabs, it would likely be between major releases, like v13 -> v14 and we’ll see a line in the release notes along the lines that Factory IR’s have been updated and that presets needs to be updated if you previously used stereo cabs.

From everything I’ve seen so far, Fractal is not afraid to forge forward with little respect for backwards compatibility (look at the recent change in the delay parameters for instance) so when Cliff is ready to include factory UR IR’s I expect that he will without hesitation and he’ll just be wearing pitchfork repellant the week of the release :)

Ok. True!

Back
Top Bottom