Will the Axe FX be my solution?

rich2k4

Inspired
My ideal piece of gear would be something that I can use for low volume "bedroom" playing, use for recording, and have it sound great, and also be able to use it in a band situation if I wanted to.

everything I look at has 1 or 2 of these criteria, but never all 3.

I have been looking at an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. This sounds pretty good at low volume, can hang with a band, but seems to be a hassle for recording. It has a preamp out, but it seems like a hassle to have to plug that into some interface, and potentially use cabinet IR's. I don't even know if that would sound good in the end.

Based on my research, If i want to do modeling the right way, its either a Axe FX II, or Kemper.

These units sound amazing at low volume, are amazing for recording, but for live use, require you to spend even more money on either a power amp and cab, or powered cab.

Also, knowing myself, I usually tend to stick to one type of tone when I play. I usually look for a EVH type of tone in anything I play through as that is pretty much the tone I hear in my head. I am worried that these units would be overkill for me.

Then there is the fear of buying and then having a new version come out a year down the road that sounds much better. Then you get into the selling and upgrading mode. At least an amp doesn't become "obsolete".

Your thoughts and suggestions on what might work for me?

You can use just the Axe Fx for live playing, there's no need to buy additional amps and cabs.
Just feed the direct signal from the Axe Fx to the Front of House and to your stage monitors.

It all depends on your budget, and how scrutinizing you want to get about your guitar tone.
If you're ultra-meticulous about it, you wouldn't even be settling for the EVH 50 watt, because the 100 watt sounds better- let alone these "fake" amps like Fractal and Kemper.

If you're fine with modelers, how much research have you done?
Would you be happy with just the free LePoulin plugins or the TSE X50 amp sims?
To my ears, these free plugins are BETTER than the shit I PAID for- Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Revalver, TH2, Line 6, etc.

For me personally, I use the Axe Fx for convenience. I have full control over my tone, and I can have it at any volume I want.
It sounds perfectly good to my ears, and I have the advantage of having an approximation of just about every amp and speaker I can think of.
I was going to buy a Mesa Boogie Mark V, but tried my friend's Axe Fx first. After a few minutes of playing I was convinced.

I have no idea how I would have gotten away with playing that Mark V in my one-bedroom apartment anyways.

All I can tell you is that since I took the plunge with the Axe FX I have not turned on my Cornford MK50ii.
I mostly play bedroom levels and record and for this I do not believe anything comes close. Kemper may be there but I have not tried one.

I have also played a fair few gigs with the set up and it has performed admirably.
In my mind, recording is where you really need the best sound; live you just need to sit in the mix well.
There are plenty of people on this forum gigging these monsters!

Regarding the new unit coming out that sounds much better, Cliff and team regularly put out updates that improve the unit.
From what you have said, regarding using mostly a single tone, you wouldn't need to upgrade or buy extra IRs - the stock unit will do the job nicely.

Imo, unless money is no object, you should try one - there is bound to be someone close by to you with a unit you can demo.

The only downside to the Axe (over the Kemper and more traditional amps) is the ability to tweak.
There is so much you can play with that there is a temptation to keep trying to refine the sound when it really isn't necessary.
The latest firmware (17) generally gets me a great tone within ten minutes of clicking the "Clear Patch" button in Axe Edit with only minor tweaking necessary.

Also bear in mind that gig level patches need to be programmed (or at least tested and tweaked) at gig level to get them sounding right.
With an amp you can just twiddle your three knobs at the venue. You can adjust the amp tone stack very quickly live, though, by making use of the quick controls.

Personally, having had the Axe for over a year, I won't be going back to valves.

"I have no idea how I would have gotten away with playing that Mark V in my one-bedroom apartment anyways."

By getting the Mark v 25W with 1x12 Recto Mini Cab. ;)

Seriously that little bugger is a hell of an amp. And combined with the Axe - :applause:

Well the axe is well proven for home use and recording, the only real debates fall when used for live performance IMHO (cab or frfr). So that sounds like the make or break for you. Yes an investment is still needed, and you can spend as much as you did on the axe if you want to, even more, sky is the limit really, and you still need a foot controller of some sort.

If you are happy with 3 tones out of the EVH and that's all you will ever need (cant believe that), get an attenuator or maybe a two notes torpedo and be done with it.

I have been looking at an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. T
Then there is the fear of buying and then having a new version come out a year down the road that sounds much better. Then you get into the selling and upgrading mode. At least an amp doesn't become "obsolete".

Your thoughts and suggestions on what might work for me?

My thoughts are, if amps don't become obsolete, why are you looking at version III?

Even if Axe Fx III does come out eventually, it doesn't make yours sound worse.

This is you being somewhat conditioned with the computer world. Clif has already stated that an Axe FX III is not even on the drawing board yet and with G3 algos right around the corner sound and feel will be better then ever. The only problems I can see at this point in time are memory for power users and future features if you can even call those problems. Get an XL and play with it for 2 weeks, see if it's for you or not.

If you're a one tone kind of guy, then you may want to check out a couple of the amps with direct outs on them. As mentioned above the little Mark 25 watt. The other guitarist in my band has been using it for a month or so and loves it. It has plenty of volume for gigs too. Also H&K tubemeister is another option I've heard good things about.

That being said I took the leap from tube amps awhile ago and have the II. I love it. My caveat is still finding a power amp that I like with it. I haven't really gotten that cab sound I want. However, direct I'm always pretty happy with that sound. My next step is to offload some power amps I have and grab some kind of tube power amp. My 2 cents.

These units sound amazing at low volume, are amazing for recording, but for live use, require you to spend even more money on either a power amp and cab, or powered cab.

Also, knowing myself, I usually tend to stick to one type of tone when I play. I usually look for a EVH type of tone in anything I play through as that is pretty much the tone I hear in my head. I am worried that these units would be overkill for me.

Not true for live use, I plug directly into front of house (FOH) and use my churches in-ear monitors (IEM) almost weekly. For home bedroom use I have an A/B stereo switch that goes from my Samson Radiance studio monitors ([insert brand here] recommended for accurate near-field tone) and a smaller DJ setup with active speakers. There are affordable alternatives if you just want an Active speaker ($200-300 range) or get a nice atomic FRFR cab ($600+).

Tone is one thing, but if you invest in the Axe-FX you get 200 amps to choose from. Overkill? Maybe. Worth the investment? Totally. I have never had this much flexibility with a guitar modeler continuing to "wow" other guitarist friends of mine who have ONE amp, ONE effect, ONE tone limiting their range. Do yourself a favor and invest in the last piece of gear you will need for your musical needs :eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

Live use is a bit more investment. You need a midi controller like the MFC101 (to get the most out of the Axe Fx), but then you have all the switching and flexibility of a Bradshaw rack system. In my opinion you also need a good FRFR monitor like the Matrix Q12 or CLR in order to dial in your tones at gig volume.

Live use is a bit more investment. You need a midi controller like the MFC101 (to get the most out of the Axe Fx), but then you have all the switching and flexibility of a Bradshaw rack system. In my opinion you also need a good FRFR monitor like the Matrix Q12 or CLR in order to dial in your tones at gig volume.

As stated above (a few times), you don't actually need to invest in a PA/FRFR rig or even a traditional cab to play live if you run direct to FOH or to a monitor rack then into FOH.
I would recommend a MIDI board though. MFC is great, but there are substantially cheaper options that give you all the flexibility you'd ever need.

You can get a half decent MIDI controller and powered FRFR monitor for less than $500, used, if you know where to look :)

I have been looking at an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. This sounds pretty good at low volume, can hang with a band, but seems to be a hassle for recording. It has a preamp out, but it seems like a hassle to have to plug that into some interface, and potentially use cabinet IR's.

If plugging a preamp out into a recording interface is too much hassle for you, the Axe Fx is probably NOT for you. If you're planning on running the Axe Fx as as your recording interface, then you're going to have to use IRs, and there are hundreds (probably thousands now) to choose from. If you're looking for "plug-and-play" the Axe Fx is probably not for you. Selecting the correct amp/IR cab combination CAN be a lengthy process. On the other hand, it gives you the ultimate in flexibility and customization and sound quality.

Given what you've told us, I'd recommend you buy the EVH, get an SM57 and learn how to mic your cab, or a good cab emulator like the Palmer or Torpedo. Buy some nice pedals to put in front of the amp and save yourself the time and trouble of getting up to speed on a device that, with 200 amp models, and thousands of IR cabs, is probably overkill for you.

The Axe-Fx II XL with an Atomic CLR Active Wedge is pretty much a gig-ready, recording studio and home practice rig all rolled into one. You don't really need the CLR, but with it you have a full rig for most any situation.

Back
Top Bottom