Will the Axe FX 2 XL+ still receive updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't there be? Why do people keep thinking Fractal is like Apple? From what I gather they would still release updates for the older models if there were room for additional firmware.

Why wouldn't there be? Why do people keep thinking Fractal is like Apple? From what I gather they would still release updates for the older models if there were room for additional firmware.
This was confirmed to me yesterday by customer service. They do not know for how long it will continue. It all seems to make reasonable sense.

I think they will release a few updates for II, because of the ax8 shared engine The updates will not be so frequent because all development will focus on the new platform. When ax8 with updated with similiar hardware as III then the development will stop.

it makes sense, but the last firmware of Ultra was released at the same month as AXE 2 was released too.

I hope you are right!

I would imagine as long as they have the resources to do so and there’s some wiggle room in the processor and ram they’ll continue doing updates until there isn’t any (which may not be long) but they might not be as frequent. Such is the way of the digital world. As long as the final version isn’t buggy and you like the sound and features you’re golden until the hardware fails if/when that happens. It’s pretty robust so that shouldn’t be for a long time.

If there is one thing I wouldn't associate Fractal with its a history of continuing updates.......

Oh wait, my mistake, that is the rest of the industry. My Fractal Axe II, which I bought when it was running FW6, is now on the equivalent of FW29, so yeah, I guess Fractal does have a pretty good track record of continued updates

My issue is this. I had a mk1 for a few yrs and it worked just fine for my needs. Then word came out that it didn't have capability for more upgrades so I bought the XL+ over the holidays because Fractal themselves said that there was considerable room for improvements on the xl+ platform. Now they are possibly saying that it's towards the end of its run (maybe not directly...)

Granted, the XL+ will serve me well with what it has now but it seems to be a bit of an unfair bait and switch.

I would think they would continue supporting the legacy units was long as the hardware can support it.

In a small way it might help sales of the AXE III as it will be easier for existing owners to flip a piece of gear with continuing support.

My issue is this. I had a mk1 for a few yrs and it worked just fine for my needs. Then word came out that it didn't have capability for more upgrades so I bought the XL+ over the holidays because Fractal themselves said that there was considerable room for improvements on the xl+ platform. Now they are possibly saying that it's towards the end of its run (maybe not directly...)

Granted, the XL+ will serve me well with what it has now but it seems to be a bit of an unfair bait and switch.

I wouldn't go as far as to say bait and switch! It's progress, it's electronics. I have 2 complete rigs (the original AxeII serial #6! and an Axe8) right now and zero gigs :) Basically I have everything I realistically need twice over. Come to think of it, I have a beat to shit AxeFX Standard from 2007 in the back of a closet. Would I like a III? Does the pope shit in a funny hat? ;)

It's in their long-term interests to support it for a while yet, and that's the standard practice in the tech industry.

It's in their short-term interests to switch full steam to the 3.

I expect they will support it for a while, but they obviously need to make sure the launch of the 3 takes precedence, and that any and all bugs on release get crushed so that early adopters put out a great first impression. It's amazing how important that is - it totally changes the trajectory of the entire life of the product. Just look at the early response to the Xbox One vs the PS4.

The Axe 2 will take a backseat for a while. And that's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom